ESP Kamikaze George Lynch

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Cary Chilton, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I have a chance to locally buy a blue, red, tope camoflaged 198X ESP Kamikaze in MINT, Chrome hardware, much nicer imo than the other model -green, yellow, maroon?, black hardware. Anyway, the DOOD wants 1400 USD for it. I have seen the other model, ie yellow, green etc ESP go for 1300 to 2000 on evil bay, shipping not included.

Do you guys recommend going for it? Is it a decent made guitar? What about the tone? It is ALL maple, heavy body, maple/rosewood neck, screamin demon pup?
    Anyone?

2. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

3. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I did some work on a Lynch Kamikaze and found it an uncomfortable neck to play. 1-3/4" wide nut and a neck profile like a baseball bat - just not my cup-o-tea.

4. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I use to visit a store in Hollywood that carried high end ESP shredders back in the late 80's. They were really nice as far as looks go, but were real expensive at the time and I never tried one out.

5. MOJO

MOJO Member

Make sure your comfortable with the weight.. if i remember ...that model use an all maple body so they tend to be a bit heavier then say an alder or ash bodied guitar

6. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

YES!!! they are heavy. i had a kami2 and a kami4 and they were very heavy!!! if it is in good shape and it has the custom stamp on the back of the head, i say go for it!!!

7. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

Just a slight thread derail-Bet your talking about "Waldo's Weird Guitars" right across the street from GC on Sunset. They were the West coast arm of 48th Street Guitars in NY, IIRC. I used to shop there all the time in the late 80's-early 90's!

I think those Kami's are all maple bodies, and heavy.

8. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Nice guitar, but definitely on the bright side (maple body + maple neck = very bright tone). If you like Lynch's tone, you'll be happy.

9. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

I purchased one new in the late 80s in NYC on 48th St. It was a purple/yellow tigerstripe design with a reverse headstock. It was built perfectly - no flaws, perfect frets, perfect finish, great action, and a tone that was more chunky and a bit brighter (but not ridiculous) than the Soloists and Jems I was playing back then. I also played Les Pauls, and I didn't notice that the Kamikaze was too heavy. (I actually have video somewhere of me gigging with my Kamikaze.) The single coil tones were surprisingly great!

I paid $1300 with case in 1989.

Very cool guitar. I only sold it because I moved across country and I sold nearly all my guitars ... *sigh*

10. Roodyrocker

Roodyrocker Member

The different color Kami's are known as I, II, III, IV. Only the I is still in current production as far as I know, thats the black, yellow one. I think the camo one is II, Blue is III and IV is the bright neon green with buzz saw headstock. All are maple bodied as is the Lynch Sunburst Tiger which I have. As such they are heavy but I don't mind heavy guitars and the Demon pickup sounds better in these heavy maple bodies than in light bodies anyway. I'm not sure the III was out in 1989 yet but I could be wrong. Also, I think most of the 80's Lynch guitars had Duncan Distortions in them, the Screamin' Demon came later. Either way, a pickup swap is no biggie. They are nice guitars but inconsistent as far as setups from the factory go. Once setup to your liking it makes all the difference and they do rip! On E-Bay, most Kami's go for well over $1000 in good shape and of course the discontinued colors go for more. So $1400 is about right if its a nice one.

11. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

:eek:I read George's Tiger was 14lbs....YIKES

12. bubbagomez

bubbagomez Supporting Member

I got a purple sunburst tiger a few years ago for $450. Nice guitar.

13. Roodyrocker

Roodyrocker Member

Yep, thats what I got too but it wasn't $450! How did you score one that low? I also have a Lynch Skull & Snakes (has the graphic from the first Lynch Mob album on it) and that one is not Maple, I think its Alder and much lighter than my Sunburst Tiger.

14. bubbagomez

It was just sitting in some tiny shop near where I live. One of those rare finds.

15. Roodyrocker

Roodyrocker Member

I'm taking you guitar shopping with me from now on :roll

16. bubbagomez

I only wish it would happen more often. One day I'll stumble across a pristine 59 Les Paul for $450, I know it!

17. MOJO

MOJO Member

I believe the Lynch "Skull and Snakes" and the Lynch "Distressed 56 model" are the onle 2 to use alder bodies..

18. khingpynn

khingpynn Member

I own a Kami IV... excellent build quality from the ESP Japan Custom Shop.
    It's heavy fo a super strat but if you play a les paul or a PRS you won't mind.

Earlier in this thread the neck was described as "base ball bat"... I have to dissagree. Its a wide flat radius neck similar to a Jackson but different in profile. It's thin compared to the width but has some meat around the edges. Not as described before for sure. It may take some time getting used to it if you have been playing small radius strats and such but a Gibby player or especially a Jackson player will find it an easy transition. I myself do not hane alien steve vai sized hands and if you ever met George neither does he. It's a very comfortable playing guitar. Well balanced and even though it's all Maple it is the grade of maple the ESP uses... which is a very dence resonant slab of maple picked for it's qualities which are based on George's love for his origional mighty mite bengal tiger body.
    I find the acoustic voice of the Kami IV I have to be round and strong... piano like. Mine has the Screamin Demon which i have in other guitars but it just sounds way better in the all maple Kami. Very sweet top end and tight bottom growl.
    My Kami IV weighs 8.5 lbs

The price you mentioned for the Kami II is not a bad price for a late 80's if it's dead mint with OHSC... I'd jump on it for sure.

Cheers
    Craig

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

i gotta agree with the last post about the neck, i also have played the kami and the neck is wide but i wouldnt call it a bat or say its really thick, ive found some other necks harder for me to play on other guitars, they are built very well and the esp versions are custom shop quality.
    they can be a little bright and heavy but i still like them alot.

20. jdawg666

jdawg666 Member

Uncomfortable neck...that's all I can remember from playing one.