ESP-LTD Eclipse Reviews Wanted

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ronmail65, Jul 1, 2008.

1. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

I was just playing one of these -- sounded great, played great (fast neck, slightly easier access to higher frets, weighs less than a real LP, and it looked great. Actually I played 2 of them; the top of the line LTD model with EMGs and the LTD with Seymour Duncans.

Brand New they go for about $850. Made in Korea.

What's the word?

2. ronmail65

Doesn't anyone have one of these guitars?

3. nohjy

nohjy Member

[​IMG]

I own an eclipse, but its not the LTD version its the ESP Standard version. Its beautiful and a tremendous guitar for the money. Fit and finish are among the best I have seen south of $2,000 and far better than my former PRS Standard 22. Nice thick and chunky sounding guitar. Somewhere between a PRS and a Les Paul. Its an amazing piece of gear...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  4. nohjy

nohjy Member

[​IMG]
    One more cause... I lover her so much!!

5. ronmail65

Great looking guitar! Anybody else have an opinion / experience with these?

I was reading about them on another website. Apparently, there the quality on the Korean LTD models is fairly inconsistent. But if you get a good one, they're great. So, as a buyer, you need to look those over very carefully.

6. nohjy

nohjy Member

That is the reason I bought the ESP instead of the LTD.. The Esp is actually manufactured in Japan.

7. SpaceOddity

SpaceOddity Member

I've played tons of LTD's and never noticed any inconsistency in anything above their 100 series. Some of their 50's and 100's are better than others (200's seem to be pretty steady), but once you get to the Korean made guitars at 400 level and up they go way up in quality. I have Eclipses at 400, 1000, and ESP Standard levels and they are all great guitars.

8. 5E3

5E3 Member

That's a beauty! Congrats! :AOK

9. ronmail65

I was tempted to buy one this weekend...

The local Sam Ash has (or had) a brand new antique white ESP (not LTD) Standard with the EMGs for $1000 (not including case). The local GC has a used (in great condition - with a ding and a scratch) sunburst ESP (not LTD) Standard with EMGs for $800 w/ case. Seem like good deals... what do you think?

Funny thing, I never played a true 'ESP' Eclipse until this weekend (I didn't want to spend $1500 on one, so I only played the LTD models). Now that I've played the ESP models, I definitely like the feel of the LTDs better. They seem smoother and faster. Plus the neck-joint heel is thinner on the LTDs for easier high fret access. They all seemed to sound the same and had the same pickups. ????

10. Voiceofasoul

Voiceofasoul Member

I've had a EC-400 for several years now and it's still my main guitar. It plays great and is balanced great. The main area where the price cutting seemed to come into play was the finish. But by and large it's a tremendous player. Very recommended!

11. fumanii

fumanii Member

I love my EC 400. It's got the EMGs. I got it fairly cheap at Sam Ash. It feels way better than the 82 Les Paul Standard I used to own. It feels incredible. I wanted something that could take the abuse of playing in a hardcore drop tuned metal band.

12. ronmail65

Now I have my own review!! I just got a beautiful ESP Eclipse II Standard -- it is mint!! Play great, looks awesome, and is currently for sale (if you're interested, search for the thread under my name).

The active pickups just don't do it for me. I need something darker and chunkier.

13. mysticaxe

mysticaxe Member

I had a EC-1000 for a few weeks and it was a great guitar (especially for what they sell for used). Unfortunately, had to sell it because I already had that ground covered with a guitar I've had for 15 years... The EMG version is also pretty much a one trick pony - only sounds good under fairly heavy gain, and didn't clean up very well with the volume knob.

14. ronmail65

I think you hit the nail on the head. A beautiful, excellent quality, great playing guitar that sounds awesome for heavy / hard rock. Not as good for other types of music. That was exactly the rub for me.

15. mysticaxe

mysticaxe Member

I also thought the inlays and binding were a little over the top. They look fine on stage, I suppose, but I like a little less binding bling.

16. ronmail65

I felt the same about the LTD Deluxe models. The ESP Standards are more subdued.

17. nohjy

nohjy Member

I have now spent quite a bit of time with the guitar pictured on the first page of this thread and I will say without hesitation that it is one of the best guitars I have ever played. This thing has such great tone and is so versatile. I didn't get the one with the EMGs on purpose. The Seymour Duncans offer a more organic crunch and are not sterile in any sense of the word. I have been working on Over the Hills and Far Away lately - I have always wanted to get the song down perfectly. Not only have I got it pretty much note for note, but I have been able to dial in Page's guitar sound, which I have always loved, perfectly. Which means it offers a great Les Paul tone. For anyone on the fence, I implore you to try this guitar (with the Seymour Duncans). I paid $925 for mine used in mint condition and I would have been happy to pay twice that knowing what I know now. Fit and finish of the instrument are as good as I have ever seen.

18. Nickguitar

Nickguitar Member

I played here and there my friend's Esp Eclipse 1 (not for Usa market, and slighty different) with duncan's.
    Body and neck is slimmer than real Les Paul's , but it is really really nice for the price. It is less dense and low middle sounding that Les Paul but I see it as kind of shredder mod Les Paul.
    Finish, Q.C., wood resonance, tone, and overall feel is great for the money.

I would recommend this guitar to people that want similar sound, feel and look of an Les Paul, with "faster neck" mod. (and less wheight)

19. SFW

SFW Member

I own an early EC-50, as a backup guitar for my Les Paul. The early ones were made with mahogany, as opposed to the basswood that they are made with now. I find it to be a great guitar.

I think that ESP should get rid of the EMGs, as they make the guitar only good for heavier tones. With a good set of traditional pickups, they are great guitars. I've played a few of the 1000 models, and found them to be very good as well.