• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Esquire circuit with a different pickup type?

jumpchamp

i was thinking that it might be cool to build an esquire, but with a mini-humbucker or p-90 as opposed to a single coil pickup. anyone ever done this? yes, i know there are all sorts of single pickup guitars, but i'm talking about the esquire circuit specifically. could be cool with a full humbucker with the ability to split the coils too (9 different settings that way, potentially).

jumpchamp

with the esquire circuit and a 4-conductor humbucker, 9 sounds would be a possibility:

1 - wide open (no tone)
2 - predetermined (dark) tone roll off
3 - tone control pot active

with a humbucker, you could run all of the above through both coils, norh coil alone, south coil alone - 3x3 = 9 :)

not saying they'd all be useful, just electronically possible.

Jammin'John

Those sounds are just tweekin' the main sound.
A P-Rail would deliver 4 actual sounds that could be further tweeked.
The P-90 & parallel 'bucker sounds are very nice.
The parallel sound has a lot more character than a normal 'bucker because the coils are VERY different.
The rail is 5.5k & the P-90 is 10.2k.
Dissimilar coils make more harmonic overtones.

JJ

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
I had an Esquire with a Rio Grande "Dirty Harry" in it - basically a P-90 in a Tele bridge shape. I ditch the switch altogether - I just drill a blank plate and run a master volume and a no load tone pot - takes care of all that with just the sweep. Real tidy looking as well.

Southern ILL

Here are my next 3..........

This one is done and turned out really good.

The P-90 and the Filtertron will have Vol. and Tone only.....the magic for me with these esquires is without the front pickup there...its more comfy to use a pick attack in that area(but end of the neck)and it darkens and fattens up the tone to where I don't miss the neck pickup a whole lot....and I like the look too.

baimun

The only problem is that the Esquire tone circuit wouldn't be nearly as usable with every coil combination. It anticipates the same load and pickup from a single pickup esquire.

I tried using the Esquire load\vol+tone\vol only with a Duncan Quarter pound single with a push pull vintage coil tap on the tone knob.

I even tried a couple different cap values and they either sounded good with the coil tap or without, but not both.

I ended up ditching the push pull, went to three way of:

Coil Tap + Vol + Tone
Overwound + Vol + Tone
Overwound + Vol only

jumpchamp

jumpin john, that's a great idea with the p-rail! and mike9, that makes a ton of sense with the no-load pot. i think a legitimate project is starting to take shape here for me... :)

Grenville

I think even the P-rail is overdoing it a little, when there are a zillion sounds with just the interaction of pick attack, volume and tone controls.

One pickup and a bit of technique = awesome!

Disclaim: IMHO, YMMV, etc.

shane8

I think even the P-rail is overdoing it a little, when there are a zillion sounds with just the interaction of pick attack, volume and tone controls.

One pickup and a bit of technique = awesome!

Disclaim: IMHO, YMMV, etc.
i agree that there's too many options as a huge # of sounds can be got as above or just by turning the vol knob - i have a "strat" with a dimarzio pro track in the br pos and just a vol pot and imo it encourages nuance in ur playing rather than reaching for another position on a switch

anyhoo if it was me i'd just put an air norton T in there and a vol pot and crank the amp cos as eddie says - vol is tone ;) YMMV.......

Brett Faust

HI guys, The P Rail sounds great with a 4 way switch so you can get all the in phase sounds. All the switch positions have distinctly different sounds, alot like 4 different pickups.On mine I used a neck version for lower output and put the rail closer to the bridge. I used a RW/Maple neck w/ Swamp ash body, Hipshot hardtail for my bridge.
It worked very well for me.

Trending Topics