Esquire love?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Colt, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Colt

Colt Member

I have been a LP and PRS guy for a while (and 335...and a Thorn...when I get one...).....but recently I played an '59 esquire.

Holy ****.

This guitar spoke to me. It was not like a tele....it was odd. So open, so Resonate....so real. This guitar straight into an 18watt marshall combo was amazing. Alot easier to do clean-to-scream instead of less dirty-to-scream. Man...I loved it. Larry Morgans is the ****, and I plan on putting a down payment on that '59 this week.

It's no nonsense black and white, maple board. Holy ****.

Who famous played one of these? there have to be alot fo guys..even if I'm not familiar.

I know beck played one for a little while.....they say the boss did too...but I thought his was a tele?? anyway.....fill me in guys. lay it on me.

Any of you play one?

2. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

I've been borrowing my brother's for the last month while I was building my Tele clone, and I almost don't want to give it back to him.

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I know what you mean..................They are incredible. But after a while with one I say to myself I could use a touch more Bottom now.........and wish for a neck PUP. The best tele I ever played was a Esquire that had a neck PUP from the Fender custom Shop. It still had that great Esquire tone........with the Neck PUP option. And I too found out..........my favorite tones are pairing it with a Marshall (EL34-84 ) type amp not a 6L6 or 6V6. Page knew what he was doing ................ :dude :dude

4. eric-d

eric-d Member

I have the Tele already, but I want an Esquire so bad!!! They're just sex....

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Anyone ever play the Seymour Duncan Fender model? Suppossed to have some cool switching ..........I was just curious as to what it was about............

6. John LeQuire

John LeQuire Member

Didn't Steve Cropper play one when he was with Booker T & the M.G.'s.? I believe I read that somewhere, so that tone is what I associate with Esquire's.

7. stark

stark Supporting Member

I have a 59' slab board Esquire w/ a custom fralin neck pu in it. Scary good guitar. I also have a 63' Esquire all original also stellar sounding.

Adam Stark

8. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

I think Cropper has always played Teles. I can't think of anyone else who was known for Esquires other than Jeff Beck in the early days.

Bodywise they've always been identical to Teles. look under the pick guard and you'll see the rout for the neck pickup. Any particularly resonant Esquires are just production variation common with most fifties-era guitars.

I like the straight-through, no tone knob setting. I've played a few Teles with that option on a five way switch (Donohue model?) That setting is nice for lead when you just want to scream. I never could get used to the setting with the capacitor though, always sounded too muted to my ears.

Esquires look cool, but I've alway felt that a tele with the five way switch and one setting wired direct to output sounded just as cool and was more versatile.

9. goodtone

goodtone Member

Esquire guitars are great guitars. I was at the Philly Guitar show about a year ago and this cat was playing his sunburst Esquire into a Fuchs OD 50 model amp. Both amp and guitar combined just floored me. This guy got so many cool tones by just varying his volume knob !!! By the way I read a Mick Ralphs interview in Guitar Player Magazine and Ralphs said he used an Esquire for a lot of the clean rhythm stuff on the first record.

10. parker

parker Member

mmmm Esquire's ....... had Leo stuck to repairing radio's I would be a wealthy man......

11. Roe

Roe Member

I love my hollow warmoth esq. I use a kinman broadkaster PU and a callaham bridge - lots of sustain.

12. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

I've been smitten with the Esquire ever since I saw Joe Bonamassa play one on his "A New Day Yesterday Live" DVD. The TONE. ahhhhhhh

...must...have...one...someday...

13. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

Another Esquire sighting with a pro...Scott Thurston used one on Tom Petty's "Black Leather Woman" during the Soundstage performance for PBS.

It's featured during the intro riff for a finger-picked octave run that sounded great, totally dirty and edgy with lots of bite, but full sounding too. I think he was playing it through a Divided by 13 amp, don't know what model...and Petty's backline is stocked like a guitar store so who knows what you're actually hearing on a given song, ampwise.

Very tasty...check it out.

14. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Esquires are great! Kind of like Fender's LesPaul Jr. You really have to focus on technique and using vol and tone controls to get the most out of a single pickup. Also, less magnetic pull with no neck pickup can give a bit more ring and sustain to an esquire. Harmonics in particular seem to ring better....

GVCG esquire:
    [​IMG]

homemade Warmoth esquire:
    [​IMG]

15. EricatWillcutts

EricatWillcutts Member

I had the Fender Custom Shop build an Esquire (black/bound body) with a fat, maple NoCaster neck.I waited an absurd TEN months for delivery-but it just killed.One of my main guitars,just a tremendous instrument.

16. tiptone

tiptone Silver Supporting Member

Mark Ford is playing one out with the Black Crowes right now. I thought it was one of his best sounds guitars all night (and there were several).

17. jtw

jtw Member

Just picked up a MB Louis Salgado Esquire last weekend and I absolutely love it, very versatile guitar for what I do. Had to change the white pickguard to a black bakelite one to feed my Beck-era Yardbirds fascination though...

18. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

:eek: :dude :dude

19. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

If you have an esquire and want to add a neck pup, would you have to change the electronics/pots?

And what is the deal with the electronics in an esquire?
    Why can they be so versatile with so little?
    Is there a special switch/mojo dealy-bob?

How do they differ from Teles?

20. Colt

Colt Member

the 3 positions are:
    back: straight from the pickup to volume knob to output....no tone control at all, it makes more of a "zing" than a tele w.o being ice-picky though.

Middle: just like you're one a back pickup of a tele w/ the tone knob

Front: No tone control, but it goes through the cap....so it's really dark and bassy, not at loud. It's like turning the tone all the way down. The Highs and mids lessen. Alot of folks don't like this...I like it....almost like a different take on "woman tone" I like it.

I played it through a Marshall HW 18 watt.....and Holy **** it was the best guitar/amp combo I have EVER played....and I've owned and played ALOT of gear....damn near everything.