Esquire players. Do you have a favorite pickup

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jmonk99, Feb 16, 2012.

1. jmonk99

jmonk99 Supporting Member

I'm just getting some parts togather for an Esquire build and would like to know what you guys/gals like for the pickup(I'm thinking mabey a Nocaster ). Also your thoughts on standard wiring or something else.

2. Nashville Slim

Nashville Slim Member

Maple or rosewood neck? Brass or steel saddles?

You can pay a lot more than what a Duncan Broadcaster costs and not get a better pickup. Fralin Blues Special is killer too, as is the Fender 52 RI and the Nocaster. I also love the Duncan 54 for that stinging Paul Burlison, early Bloomfied, Cropper and Robbie Robertson with the Hawks tone. I also had a Voodoo Fat 60s which was nice, but started to get out of Tele territory and more into P-90. There are all sorts of less traditional ones too, which are good, but really drop a Duncan or a Fender in there and you'll be doing just fine.

3. bsteff666

bsteff666 Supporting Member

Beaver, PA (That's just outside of Pittsburgh)
    I like the Lollar Special.

4. cherrick

cherrick Member

5. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

early nocaster from around 1996

6. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

I like the bridge pickup.

:hide2

7. Seafoam Green

Seafoam Green Member

Damn, beat me to it :D

8. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Lollar Vintage T & Harmonic Design S90 are my favorite drop-in Tele bridge replacements.

Though, there are TONS of great pickups to use in Esquires & a Nocaster is one of them.

9. gmann

gmann Member

Get Don Mare's Stingray. It's triple tapped and gives you 3 different outputs. Lotta versatility there. www.donmarepickups.com.

10. jmonk99

jmonk99 Supporting Member

Thanks for all the replys so far. I'm a fan of Don Mares stuff, I have his DonOcaster and ZepOtones p/ups in my 2 Teles but I kinda want to go a little less expensive for this build. It's going to be a toploader and i'm undecided on the fret board wood. I bought a Wilks bridge w/brass saddles.

11. romo

romo Supporting Member

I think it depends a lot on the guitar. I put together a pine esquire with a maple neck a few years back and it really took me some time to find the right pickup. It turned out that the particular wood was just super bright. The Nocaster and Duncan Broadcaster were both ice picks with the treble, and the Fralin Blues Special (one of my fav tele pickups) was not much better. All of those pickups sounded quite a bit different in another tele I had. I ended up with one of the Fralin steel poles. I usually don't go for the higher output stuff but this one sounded so much more full and smooth in my guitar.

12. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

in the midst of a 3 Esq. (maple/ash) comparo (Underwood/ Crook / Danocaster) with (currently) Lollar Special, Voodoo Broadcaster custom staggered, and Voodoo TE60. Don Mare Donocaster custom 7.4k coming.

All of the 1st 3 sound excellent though I clearly would put the 2 Voodoos (Bcaster hotter, TE60 a tad more articulate) a notch above the Lollar for this particular tone. The Lollar is excellent but IMO sounds a touch more "syrupy" or even leaning to P90ish, which is not a bad thing at all, just different -- it, too, is a great sounding pickup.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  13. Binaural

Binaural Supporting Member

Duncan Broadcaster
    Duncan '53 Tapped JB
    Fender Nocaster

14. dysorexia

dysorexia Senior Member

Lollar vintage T is perfect for a maple/ash guitar, I've found.

15. Drewski

Drewski Supporting Member

Klein "esquire" is a ridiculously great pickup. Very versatile using both knobs and your pick attack. Just a great pickup for an esquire. Although Im an AlNi III kinda guy so Im biased.

16. Jedi

Jedi Member

Nocaster pickup

17. colinesquire

colinesquire Member

If you want to go cheap I recommend a gfs pro 60s. They have a few winds & I got the hotter one at 7.7k. It's nice & snarly but still clean & twangy. Love it.

18. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I use a Seymour Duncan Billy Gibbons 1400. Depends on what type of music you're playing, but for me, the BG1400 is the whole kit & Caboodle.

19. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I'm using an OC Duff in my Esquire, wound for me to 56/57 specs...alnico 5, staggered magnets and vintage (low) wind...mine reads about 5.9k but just smokes!

Running it in an ash body, one piece maple neck with steel saddles