Esquire vs Telecaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by benjammin420, Feb 22, 2009.

1. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

To the Esquire players out there, is there something particularly special about esquires that isnt visually obvious? it seems to me with a tele you could get the same tone as an esquire, and then some. Just curious...

2. marsos52

marsos52 Member

hi i have read alot about your question. i play teles and have wondered about it to.
    many esquire player have two feelings about this. first they like the simple setup of one pickup, and with the 3 way switching they get 3 different tones anyway. and dont use or like the neck pup sound. i kinda understand what they are saying from my experiences with getting different tones with the bridge pup. between using the volume and tone controls there are great tones with the bridge and its possible to get neck pup tone with the bridge

next is the physical arguement. esquire guys feel having the neck pup even when not using it takes away from the tone of the guitar. because the magnets are affecting the string in so way or another. for me i want the neck pup and i play the neck at least 80% for the time probably more (most jazz and blues guys do)
    even with two pickups the tele is as simple a setup as there is. why limit yourself
    take the option. if you think you want to go the esquire route get a esquire pickguard and remove the neck pup. add the caps to the 3 way and your there. if you dont like it. no biggy you can change her back to tele. esquires have the routing already for a neck pup also

marc

3. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

I figure the simper wiring setup would give you a more pure signal path, enhancing definition. But ive never played an esquire, so i didnt know if maybe they have a special pickup, or neck, or something else.

4. Sofus

Sofus Member

I tend to agree with marsos52.
    I have problems with the "normal" Tele neck pup, and use a Strat pup in that position on all my Tele's ... I feel that the Esquire set up is more "open" and "bigger", due to the lack of neck pup. I also agree to the diifferent approach with just one pup and riding the volume and tone knobs :)

5. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

The Fretted Americana videos reock-that Esq. sounds great which is typical for an Esquire-they rock hard! The black nail polish is an interesting touch.

6. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I say the two '56's make a good combination that would greatly compliment any stable.

Thanks shuie!

7. shuie

shuie Member

The Fretted Americana videos are an absolutely fantastic resource for comparing different guitars. Short of sitting in the room and getting to A/B all of those guitars yourself, thats about as good as it gets. Very cool stuff.

8. johnspeck

johnspeck Member

esquires have the tone pot bypass option, which gives you a little more output and treble response. i find it's great for REALLY emphasizing a solo, or turning the volume down and getting a nice, bright twang.

having recently converted my esquire to a tele (i needed the neck pickup for a recording session), i miss having that 'stun' option.

if i hadn't played an esquire for so long, i suppose i wouldn't know what i'm missing. if you have the option, they have a unique thing that makes them a great addition to the twang tone library.

9. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

marsos52 is on the right track. Think of the single pickup as unbridled, no governor on it. It gives the full bloom of whatever pickup you use. I have a Duncan Antiquity on mine.
    But guys, get this, many people don't associate the two. Al Les Paul JR or SG JR, one pickup, a P-90, the grind & tone that comes through on the P90 is spilling with the one pickup.

The first time I picked up an Esquire, I immediately heard what we are talking about. In fact, I heard a new kind of Jangle.

10. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Some say that removing the neck pickup effects the tone, I actually agree with this to a degree.

but for me the 'magic' of an esquire, and even a LP Junior style, is the way you have to approach playing in a live setting. It forces you to PLAY the thing. Not rely on neck pickup for warmer tones, combo of pickups for tones, no. You have to vary the tone and volume controls, vary your picking intensity and right hand technique. WHERE you pick.

I love the pressure it puts on me to PLAY and not think depend on 'stuff'

11. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

tele=neck PUP, no straight-to-jack position

esquire= straight-to-jack position, no neck PUP

That's the main difference.

12. Alister

Alister Member

Absolutely +1000.
    This is also true in a general sense, not only w/Esquires or Jr.'s.

13. opdev

opdev Member

The straight to jack position on my Esquire is SO much clearer than the bridge only on my tele (with tone all the way up).

It's bouncier, twangier and brighter.

14. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

So am I. I have everything I need, I just need to get off my dead ass and do it.

15. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Silver Supporting Member

with a great pickup - there is a little extra magic in that back position

and - as already noted several times - you PLAY differently on a 1 pickup guitar. It changes your technique to a certain degree

and also - as already posted - the lack of magnetic pull from removing that neck pickup does indeed - in my opinion - create a different "harmonic goodness"

It's a nice flavor to have. If I could ONLY have one , I'd take a tele w/ a great neck pickup - but I do like an esquire ;)

16. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

has anybody made a 'custom' esquire with a single neck pickup?

17. jaydawg76

jaydawg76 Member

Mike nailed it!!!

Esquires and jr's make you concentrate on playing the thing. It's a reminder that I certainly need every now and again.

18. TravisE

TravisE Supporting Member

I have one. It's a hardtail tele shape with a strat p'up in the neck position. It's pretty fun. It's made by my buddy Eric Gibson who makes Leaf guitars.

19. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I actually liked the sound of the tele, compared to the esquire in the demo video. The neck pup gives the tele the full bassier tone than the esquire, in that video anyway.