Essential Classic Amp Collection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MkIIC+, Jul 3, 2019.

1. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

what ?
    TGP and no Dumble (style) or Kelley ? :eeks
    it doesn't get more classic than that - lose the Mk 3/4/5 instead, good amps, but nothing really groundbreaking about them in the tone dept. :dunno
    imho, ymmv,
    Rhino

one could argue about SLO and JC120 too ...

2. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

btw, the small Hiwatt is a 504, the 104 was a fighter plane, effectively fighting its own pilots. :drown

3. archtop

archtop Member

The question becomes, do you want the original or a modern take on it?

So far, I’ve answered the question for myself this way:

- AC30 (I kept the AC30 over a Matchless DC30)
    - Plexi (I have a Germino Fillmore, but might prefer a Club 40. I like old Marshall cleans and slightly pushed tones)
    - Deluxe Reverb (I have a Tone King Metropolitan, which for me is like a big Deluxe Reverb, covering Blackface and sort of Tweed, though real tweed isn’t as polite).

I feel like the Princeton and Deluxe Reverb 6V6 thing is different enough to the 6L6 Blackface amps, that I’d still really like a Super Reverb (or I might prefer the big bold cleans of something like a Two Rock Classic Reverb).

MkIIC+ and ProfRhino like this.
  4. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

similar concepts here. :beer
    with some amps it's hard to beat the original circuits, with Hiwatts I'd even argue that if you really crank them, you'll want Hylights for the Partridge iron.
    with most others, a well made boutique clone can be a totally valid alternative.
    and then, I have a fatal weakness for unique crossover designs combining elements from two or more classic designs. :nuts

ultimately, an amp has to suit your playing style, so better try before you buy !
    you might find that an undisputed classic will absolutely not work for you, even if your favourite players sound incredible with it.
    too many variables ...
    ymmv,
    Rhino

5. Vox66

Vox66 Supporting Member

After many years of owning all sorts of amps these are my end all be all’s, but the ‘55 deluxe and ‘63 AC-30 are the only amps I would EVER need. Neil Finn, The Edge and Daniel Lanois all figured out the magic amp pairing.

pub22, wannabeatle, MkIIC+ and 2 others like this.
  6. Radar

Radar Member

Which AC30 do you have? And why did you prefer it over the DC30?

7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

There's too many classic amps I'd love to own -- a few Fenders running from tweed to BF eras, a couple of Marshalls, a Rivera or two ... Peavey C50 4x10 ... a couple of booteeks ... glad I don't have the money to dive down that rabbit-hole.

8. Grasley

Grasley Member

Marshall Silver Jubilee?

Vox66 likes this.
  9. archtop

archtop Member

It’s an AC30 I had custom made. It’s hand-wired in a Weber chassis, and is housed in a JMI cabinet. I like the DC30, but feel the AC30 has more character.

Peppy likes this.
  10. Radar

Radar Member

Is the circuit from this thing?

https://www.tedweber.com/6v30-c-kt

11. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

I'd throw a Dr. Z and a Komet in there. Not sure which ones...

12. archtop

archtop Member

I couldn’t tell you for sure. It’s a 6 input AC30 with normal, bright and vibrato channels. The chassis was from Weber, but the transformers and every other component were chosen from elsewhere.

13. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

I didn't include amps like the Dumble as they aren't really obtainable per se.

I included all the Mark series from I-V as they are in the same family. A Mark V has voicings for a Mark I, IIC+ and IV so it fundamentally covers the tones of the early versions. I understand the arguments that it's not exactly the same but I think close enough for these purposes.

The Jazz Chorus is a great suggestion.

I don't know the specifics on the SLO well enough. It's also very small production boutique amp if I understand it correctly and I was going for amps that were "relatively" available.

14. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

I could see an argument for the JCM800 or Silver Jubliee amps. To some extent they are merely a extension of the 1959/1987 family primarily with more gain.

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The problem is that the list just mushrooms as you start to get into smaller backwaters. The 3 basic food groups have got to be Fender/Marshall/Vox. But then you have tweed vs brown vs BF, MV Marshall vs NMV, 15w vs 30w Vox. Then the "other" things that are indispensable. I'd start the list this way:

Princeton Reverb
    JCM800 (50w)
    AC30
    Tweed Deluxe
    JMP 100
    AC15
    Brown super
    Tweed Bassman
    Mesa Mark
    Ampeg Reverborocket
    Hiwatt
    Dumble clone/derivative
    Trainwreck/class A head (includes things like Bruno, Alessandro, Matchless, Dr Z, Komet)
    Orange (vintage)
    Super Reverb
    Gibson GA79RVT
    Roland Jazz Chorus
    Magnatone 460/M15 (stereo pitch shifting tremolo)

By that point, you're out of room and your wife hates you. Oh, and you're going to need at least a Celestion Blue, a Greenback, a JBL/Altec/EV, a Jensen P12N, a Jensen C12n loaded cabs...

16. Peppy

Peppy Member

The above post. Done.

17. PhilC

PhilC Supporting Member

I had an impeccable early 60's AC30 with added top boost and currently have a DC30. I can tell you, they're different amps. Very different! The AC30 has more in common with a plexi to me than it does to the C30. The C30 is steely, brighter, less pedal friendly and harder. But, it has a certain sound that, while being totally different than the AC30, is just perfect for a dense mix. It sits there in the upper mids in just the perfect spot in a much more modern mix. The AC30 is more classic sounding. Even though the C30 is going on a 25+ year old design it sits in a modern mix very well which is why it's a Nashville session player favorite. The AC30 is much more classic with a ton more mids and bark and just exudes classic rock. Both are awesome, but they're different tools for different jobs.

ProfRhino and Radar like this.
  18. shakti

shakti Member

Interesting topic, and even though you will get a lot of different replies, it looks like people do tend to gravitate towards essentially the same ones, at least the same schhols/categories of amps.

I'd say you need to cover the biggest names that have a unique sound, and also cover their various "phases" (like tweed, blackface and maybe even brown Fenders). Then also consider some amp models which were highly influential. So with that in mind, I would nominate...

Fender tweed Deluxe 5E3 (used by so many)
    Fender tweed Bassman combo (influenced Marshall - enough said)
    Fender blackface Super Reverb AB763 (best allround amp of all time, and what every amp wants to be when it grows up)
    Vox AC15/30 2x12 (EF86 or top boost version - the sound of Shadows, The Beatles and every power pop band ever)
    Marshall JTM45 (gotta have a KT66 Marshall, as it essentially introduced the "Modern" guitar sound)
    Marshall 68/69 Super Lead (quintessential rock machine, and different enough from the JTM45)
    Hiwatt DR103 (ultimate clean machine road warrior and the sound of 1 million prog bands)
    Mesa Boogie Mk I (first "high gain" amp, could also be considered first "boutique" amp)

I would maybe nominate the Marshall JCM800 2203 as the first two-channel master volume amp and the sound of late 70s/80s hard rock, but soundwise it's really not *all* that different from the preceding Super Lead.

The "18w" class of amps (WEM Dominator, Marshall 18w etc) are also extremely cool and usable amps, but seem to have become more like modern-day classics and not so influential in their time.

I'm not familiar enough with more modern amps to say which ones deserve their own spot on the list. Dumble probably for its mythical status and maybe a Trainwreck, but being such rare amps they probably haven't been as influential on a strictly musical level.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    MkIIC+ likes this.
  19. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

I think your answer pretty much nails it. I'd add the Black Face Fender Reverbs with the AB763 circuits including the Deluxe, Super and Twin. I do think in terms of amp families so if you've got a 1987 or a Mark V, you're pretty much in the neighborhood.

20. shakti

shakti Member

Indeed! I was in a hurry, and even forgot what I wrote myself, that a complete list needs a blackface amp as well. I've edited my list.
    The 1987 to me isn't different enough from a Super Lead/1959 to deserve its own spot, but you may prefer one or the other.