Essential Delay and modulation sounds?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Justreleased09, May 7, 2016.

1. Justreleased09

Justreleased09 Member

Hey guys!

I am trying to get serious about putting my pedal board together. I have been playing in a live karaoke band and doing sub gigs and haven't really put much thought into effects. There is no setlist for either situation, so I want to set my pedalboard up to cover all the essential modulation and delays sounds that one would need. I was wonder what you guys consider the basic sounds as far as either go?

B

2. Turi

Turi Member

If you're already playing the gig, why not write up the most popular songs, and have a listen to 'em and see what you want/need?
    Your situation will be different to most people here.
    Only you will know what effects will work best and cover the most ground, considering the songs you play.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  3. rosslevans

rosslevans Member

Yeah, this one is pretty wide open... I'm guessing the usually characters, clean boost, light OD, OD with more saturation, a TS variant, delay that can cover slapback and longer delay tones. Then any modulation of your choice I suppose.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  4. atson67

atson67 Member

You should be totally fine with the basic boss/tc offerings. Look into their delays, chorusses. They are affordable and sound great.

MattLeFevers and Kestrel like this.
  5. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

Here's what I'd do - Wampler Ego compressor, Barber Gain Changer, Dr Scientist The Elements, Mobius, Timeline, Stereo Wet. Surely there is no sound you couldn't easily get with that?

PedalsAndCoffee likes this.
  6. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

I'd rock that board all day, but it seems a bit overkill price-wise for OP just getting going with more pedals

Kestrel likes this.
  7. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Hi-gain dirt
    lo-gain drive
    Mobius
    delay (something with Tap Tempo and a dotted 8th setting is helpful...I love the Tech 21 DLA in band like this..something where all the controls are right in front of you).
    Tuner.

If you are a strat player, a compressor.

The Source Audio Orbital is a good sub for the Mobius, and a lot cheaper. But not as deep/fully featured. For what the Mobius can do, it's actually a steal.

Personally, I dont think a reverb is necessary for a gig like this at all.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  8. AgusAD

AgusAD Member

Boss DD7/Hardwire DL8.
    TC Nova Modulation.

9. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

once the Keeley Super Mod Workstation drops that should cover most of your modulation needs

I'd spend more time really nailing the parts though, that'll go a lot farther than making sure the chorus you're using sounds identical to the one that was on the recording...

10. apoyando

apoyando Supporting Member

Get a used TC Nova system..will cover all the bases ( including dirt ) in the $250 range..
    Sounds good, compact , little extra cabling, no extra power supply etc...

11. Kestrel

Kestrel Member

The OP wants to get the basics covered. No need to go all hoity-toity with pretentious boutique pedals. MXR, Boss, Ibanez, and a few others would be the practical way to go for gig worthy pedals. They're easy to find, they're reliable and effective. Depending on your budget you may even want to consider a multi-effects unit which will pretty much cover all you need as far as modulation and delays go. You could cover a lot of ground with an Ibanez Tube Screamer and a Zoom MS-70CDR (for example).

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    Onemileguy and MattLeFevers like this.
  12. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

Delay-wise, a TC Electronic Flashback or a Boss DD-7 would be a good entry level delay capable of many different sounds for a band like that. If it weren't for needing tap tempo, I'd probably still be using the Flashback for most everything, and my genres require delay above everything else.

Modulation wise, I've preferred to go with individual classic boxes (MXR Micro Flanger, MXR Phase 90 or EHX Small Stone for phaser, a Boss chorus, etc) and sub them in or out as the gig requires. But if I had it to do all over again I might check out the Zoom multi-stomp or a Line 6 M5 and have one pedal cover all my modulation. I just really like having separate boxes for some reason...

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

All your EQ, pitch, mod, delay and reverb in one little affordable box. In any combo/order you want.

[​IMG]

KnowTalent, Onemileguy and Kestrel like this.
  14. Onemileguy

Onemileguy Member

I love my zoom ms70-cdr, it does what I need it to do to cover all my bases, it fills in almost all the gaps of any board in a very clever and cheap way. Sadly if it said T.C. Or boss or EHX or any other pedal brand instead of zoom, they would be twice as popular and cost twice as much