Esteban guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by reade, Apr 9, 2015.

1. reade

reade Member

A guy I went to school with bought one of Esteban's fine instruments. He knows zero about a guitar and first thing off he broke the high E string, then he put it in the closet. He came by and ask me if I'd string and tune it for him, I said sure. This is the worst action on a guitar I've ever seen, completely unplayable above the third fret and dang near impossible at the first. This isn't a guitar it's a huge grip master. Anyway, if you know anyone considering an Esteban guitar tell them NO!

Now I've got to give it back to him and explain exactly what he has, nothing. It even came with a certificate of authenticity.

Sorry about the rant but I'm sure some here can understand.

2. mxvin

mxvin Member

a friend of minw who has been a guitar player for a long time was given one as a gift by someone who knows zero about guiatrs. It truly was the thoguht that counted.
    agreed it is a total piece of **** and will hinder learning instead of inspiring it.

3. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

The HSN Keth Urbans are the same way. The electric is decent. I want one but I would not want anyone else too buy it. They were cheap guitars. Great to collect but not to play. Junk. But I love the Paula Abdul model. She did too. But she dose not play it. If she did she would be upset. It plays like a bathroom tolet that has not been cleaned in years.

4. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Sorry, but I disagree, fellas.

Been teaching guitar PT for over 20 years, and have seen plenty of Estebans come in. They are about like any other low end guitar coming out of China. Hit and miss quality. Overpriced for sure. The ones I've seen played fine.

I currently have an older gentleman who recently retired. He has a new Keith Urban and it is a fine guitar. A hell of a lot better than the POS I started on back in the late 70s. Again, a bit more $ for the name, but it stays in tune, is easy to play and sounds like every other plywood box out there. YMMV

5. reade

reade Member

This one is a miss.

6. Faded

Faded Member

Thanks for the heads up about Esteban guitars here on The Gear Page.

7. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

i was about to pull the trigger.. whew! you just saved me 25 bucks!

8. 73Fender

73Fender Member

That's the guy who dresses like Zorro right? What is he known for? Besides the crappy guitars.

9. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Esteban would not put his name on it if the quality were not
    there.

10. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

I like the HSN Keith Night Star Package. But it is too high. Used at guitar center fine. But the HSN acoustics are not good. Any name they put on them dose not matter. The electric is fine. And with a proper set up great. The acuostic weighs nothing. But the pickup is nice. It is the rest of the guitar. They are better choices.

Gregg Bennett acoustic electric is great to start out on. I give it a 8 out of a 10. I do not play acoustic. I have a cheap one. But they are better ones to start out own. That HSN. Electric go for it. Randy Jackson guitar. Decent. Acoustic no same problems.

This is my personal opinion. But they are better acoustic electrics, or acoustics to start out own. The electrics are fine. They just cost to much.

The real leather strap for 20 dollars is a steal. It holds 3 picks. I give props for that. Credit is due and I gave it.

11. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

Why aren't you advising them before the fact to buy something else?

12. sunkidd

sunkidd Silver Supporting Member

13. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

I agree. The electrics are fine to collect and start out own. A cheap signature guitar. Your first cheap guitar as well. When they blow them out dirt cheap. Acoustic they are much better choices? Are they not?

14. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

The sad thing is Esteban can actually play. He's just another willing victim of the QVC "easy money" machine.

15. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

I want the real nice 20 dollar strap to help the Keith Urban cause. I need more money to make me even richer. Because the suffering is terrible? It is a nice 20 dollar real leather strap. I want one it is sold out. I give credit where credit is due. That is such a nice strap!

16. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

My nephew got one as a present to learn on. Unplayable for me and I have been playing decades. BIG POS!!!!!!!!!! Like someone already said, would totally discourage learning instead of encourage.

17. Davo17

Davo17 Member

:spit

18. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Kid or adult signs up for lessons, they bring what they bring. Nobody asks my advice on the front end. If junior sticks with it, parents will ask about what to get him for Christmas/B-day. I steer them toward something more functional then.

19. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Stephen Paul is a good (not great) classical guitarist who used to gig in the Phoenix area. Before he did the QVC gig, he played a corporate event for the company I used to work for.

In addition to hearing him play for an hour or so, I got a chance to talk with him afterward. Nice guy. I think he was in a car wreck, which facilitated the Zorro look, covering up scars. The QVC thing was a way to make bank without having to gig so much. Part of the Murican dream.

20. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

The Esteban guitars are great

kindling.