Et tu, Marshall?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by steadygarcia, Feb 15, 2008.

1. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

I think I need to get a Marshall head -- just haven't been able to find my tone with all my Fender amps, and I suspect I need some Marshall. Any suggestions on models? I'd like a low powered head so that I can drive the tubes without going to ungodly levels. Also preferably something I could use with my Avatar 4x12 cabinet. I'm mainly a power-pop, indie-punk rhythm player, so I want nice smooth saturation for playing chords. No harsh, muddy tones.
    Thanks!
    LC

2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Marshall is an option - but, if you like Fenders, which I do as well, you need to try either a Blonde or BF Bassman head. They crunch and overdrive like no other - and give ANY Marshall a run for it's money, IMO or course!

But for Marshalls - depending on your price range - I'd suggest a 50w non-master volume JMP head from the metal face era. Early 70s are reasonably priced. Or, a mid to late 70s JMP master volume head (2204).

3. Voxy Foxy

Voxy Foxy Member

hm, how about a Vox? I think AC30s can make some of the sweetest rhythm tones.

If you're set on getting a Marshall though, I'd say aim for a later JMP as well, or for lower level non-MV tones, try the 2061x.

Hope this helps,
    Chris

4. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

How about a Ceriatone 18 watt head with a mojotone head cab. <$1000 total. Another option is the Tiny Terror.

18 watts is loud when its pushed into overdrive. Loud enough that you may still need an OD pedal to get the gain you want at the right volume. A 50 watt NMV marshall is not an option unless you are playing fairly large gigs.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Are you willing to look into used or only new stuff? Many people get great sounds from the newer TSLs and JVMs. Us old codgers think that handwired or old-style pcb is the only way to go, so we're going to mostly recommend used stuff. From what you're saying, I think you'd do great with a JCM800. It's capable of pretty high distortion levels, but can also sound sweet clean (plug into the low input and keep the guitar volume down and the master volume up), enough for a country gig. They've reissued it, but the best choice IMHO would be an early 80s, vertical input, 50w head-and you can still land them for $1000 or so, considerably less than a new reissue will cost you.

6. guitarstan

guitarstan Member

I like Dr Z Amps, hand made, point-to-point connections, no hype, actually work, built like a tank and sound awesome. You want Fender sound, no problem; you want Marshall tone, no problem; you want Vox tone, got it! .... IMHO of course.

I love the sound of a Marshall and occasionally one comes along that is dependable. I wouldn't mind having another one except it's dang hard to find dependable sober amp techs in my neighborhood.....and I've lived a few places including big city's.

7. freaksho

freaksho Member

Marshall lover here. I guess it depends what you define as "ungodly" volume. by most people's definition of reasonable volume (myself included), you can't get much crunch on tube amps without either master volume control or a pedal, even on lower power amps. but you can always try - there are lower volume NMV Marshall heads (e.g. the 18 watt one). and there are tons of lower power NMV Marshallesque amps (DR. Z as mentioned above is one great example). but imo even these get way too loud before serious crunch sets in.

i personally prefer the MV route and use pedals mostly for leads and extra versatility. so my suggestion is to look into the Marshall 2204 (50W) or 2203 (100W) models for single channel. it will kill for rythm tones. yes, a pedal will be needed for saturated lead tones, but most people use pedals for leads regardless of the amp.

but many people go the other route and just use clean tube amps and various pedals for all their dirt. so you should first decide which method you would prefer.

8. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

I pretty much buy all the gear I own used, so I would definitely look into used gear. So the early 80's 50w head you refer to is the JCM800? I'l look into that. How about the JTM45?

9. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Yeah it does help, thanks. I am also very much considering a Vox AC-15TB. Actually, I'm in the running for a Dan Torres british invasion 15 watt, his take on the AC15. Any thoughts on those? Would you recommend an AC30 over an AC15? I was thinking an AC15 would be plenty loud for club gigs, probably as loud, if not louder,than my '79 Deluxe Reverb, no?

10. hamfist

hamfist Member

Also take a long look at a Vox AC15 with the EF86 pre-amp. These are much more "Marshally" than the TB 12AX7 channel.
    IMO, the EF86 is utterly unbeatable for light crunch rhythm guitar tones. So organic and rich.

11. gizmo

gizmo Member

Sounds like you might ant to try the 2061x or even one of the originals if you can find one. 20 watts can be ungodly loud if you're in your bedroom but outside of that I think you'll be fine.

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The JTM45 is a very different sound from the later Marshalls. Definitely got touch sensitivity going, and at 32 watts isn't crushingly loud but it doesn't sound like what most people think of as the Marshall rock crunch. I love mine, but if I had to own only one Marshall it'd be the JCM800... It's kind of similar with the 18w vs the 2061 20w reissues, one is a killer blues machine, the other is a more typical Marshall sound...

13. Voxy Foxy

Voxy Foxy Member

AC15 would be loud enough, but it's gonna be more Vox than Marshall at a certain point...it's not an AC30 at half power, it's a different circuit...just some food for thought.

If you can get your hands on an AC30 Custom Classic, you can get it Vox, and you can tweak it to get 18 watt Marshall tones. It's a pretty versatile amp, but it is heavy. Maybe get the head and a cab?:AOK

Let us know what you end up getting!

14. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

if you play anything punk, as far as I'm concerned you need a tubed Marshall amp. which one you get depends on how "modern" a tone you want. As a punk guitarist myself, I highly recommend either a JCM 900 Dual Reverb or a JCM 2000 DSL. If you want 70's punk tones you can go for a 50 watt plexi head but you'll lose your hearing. A JCM 800 2210 or a Vintage Modern head would work nicely for that. I play on both a JCM 200 TSL and a 30th anniversary 6100LM which sound super sweet, but I wouldn't go for them unless 3 foot switchable channels are an absolute must.

15. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

The JTM45 is a Marshall blues amp. Think Fender tones but a lot brighter. Not very much gain. Not good for punk, even poppy punk.

16. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Without getting into the definition of punk, most of the punk bands I know of do not play a JCM900, or a DSL or TSL. Those are all pretty "modern" gain structure. If they are using Marshalls, most punk bands play with amps in the Marshall JMP or JCM800 range. Some do use JTM45s, which is not a blues amp. It is the classic rock amp.

17. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Ok - I ended up getting an ... Orange Rocker 30 head! Gonna match it up to a 2x12 cabinet, but not the Orange cabinet. I'm thinking of picking up an Avatar vintage series 2x12 with 2 G12H30's in it. I considered the Orange cab (2 x V30's), and also the Avatar contemporary cab with 2 x V30's, but I think I'll get more versatility out of a cabinet with the G12H30's. I'll also be able to use it with my old Ampeg B-25B head.

What do you think? Have I made the right decision as to a cabinet for the Rocker 30 head? My only other decision to make is: partail open back, or closed back cabinet??

Also, I think I'm gonna pick up the Don Bruno custom '59 Bassman rebuild for sale right here on the Amp Emporium. It's a 4x12 combo! Yeah, baby!