Eternity Arrived!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slowburn, Aug 23, 2005.

1. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I received my Eternity yesterday (I love the all black w/blue led look - it matches my black magicboy vibe very nicely). Haven't had a chance to really play through it for extended periods of time because I was feeling kind of sick the past few days, but my initial impressions are good.

Have not A/B'd it with my old marshall bluesbreaker pedal mk1, but from memory, here are some quick comparisons:

positives:
    the eternity seems slightly more transparent when bypassed

with the bluesbreaker, I never had the tone control past noon because (at least with my setup) the tone would get too harsh. with the eternity, (much to my surprise, btw) I found that the treble booster is actually useable past noon.

with the clip all the way down, using the eternity as a clean boost only, I found it performed very nicely in sounding only like "more of my amp." fattened things up just the right amount.

neutral:
    seems to have a little bit more gain than the old bb1. (and slightly more bottom end when dimed). I will likely have it on the lower gain settings most of the time anyway except for when I'm feeling saucy.

negatives:
    I only have one eternity pedal.

I realize that this may not serve as a useful review since most people want to know how boutique pedals compare with each other, as opposed to production models, but I think it's just as important to compare them to cheaper pedals every now and then (I also don't have any other points of reference, so this will have to do).

I'd like to note that I really enjoyed my marshall bluesbreaker pedal, it is not a bad pedal at all (in fact bobgoblin is finding that it is working nicely with his bad bob boost to achieve a "wondefully horrendous overdrive"). but the eternity just makes my grosh sound a bit fatter and is what I'm going for nowadays. bottom line is that I'm happier with the eternity and don't have the need to go order a timmy, zendrive, rc booster, etc.. looking for that elusive last part of my tone. this is it. (now I just need to find an amp)

check my signature for equipment used.

2. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Sorry I don't have your "negative". I've got 2!!

Killer pedal, enjoy it!

3. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

Hey

I just got my Eternity on Monday as well!

It is really good. Doesnt sound like the clips though. It sounds better.

I test drove it through Anderson Koa Hollow drop top ssh into a TIMMY and then into Barber DDSS. int 65 super reverb.

Quick notes. With all settings at noon turned on it has a surprising amount of drive to it! The treble boost works really well and there are musical sounds from all way off to fully boosted! It has a terrific combination of clean and effected signal to sustain but not wash out.

Compared to the timmy and ddss it is a touch more hi- fi with a little flatter mids but cuts really well and is very musical.

Initially I thought that it sounded similiar to the TIMMY, but it actually sounds quite different. TIMMY has more mids and is smoother at the settings that I usually run it. (Gain 3, Level to taste, bass 3, treble 3 o'clock)

Now I have to test it with my matchless hc 30 and my early metal marshalls.

the only bad thing that i have to say is that i didnt get the extra chip that was mentioned in the instruction sheet!

fuzzy

Bottom line, really good mid to high gain drive pedal.

4. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

What does this mean? I see folks post this all the time and sometimes I think I understand, but I guess I don't really know how a pedal can be musical.

5. slowburn

I would double check each foam popcorn for the 2nd chip, because I thought the same thing at first ( I nearly threw it away), I was looking for a chip probably the size of a small memory card, but in actuality it's really small, tucked inside of one of the foam popcorns I'd say the size of a fingernail maybe?

6. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

I took out all the popcorn and looked and couldnt find any chip. I pretty familiar with how those chips looked and couldnt find any!

7. slowburn

I took out all the popcorn and looked and couldnt find any chip. I pretty familiar with how those chips looked and couldnt find any! [/B][/QUOTE]

strange. I'd just PM sean I'm sure he'll hook you up with the 2nd chip.

8. basscracker

basscracker Guest

it might be inside your pedal.mine was taped on my instuctions though.later i put it in a little bag inside my pedal.

9. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Slowburn, can you post a picture of your black eternity?

10. basscracker

basscracker Guest

yeah i would like to see this also.:)

11. slowburn

yeah, I'll try to post it tonite or tomorrow.

12. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Sean is a Mojo God. But that's not the important thing. He actually cares about his customers and loves what he does.

Got my Eternity a little while back. Best OD I've ever tried. Have since added a BBB (Don't get me started!) and may add a Twin 60 too. What you've heard is true.

Thank you Sean!!

13. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

"Best OD I've ever tried."

I'd agree!

JKoeth, glad to see you dig the Eternity. We didn't lie to you did we?

14. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Nope. How do you set it with your Tophat CR?

Settings on both the pedal and amp would be cool!

15. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

[​IMG]

Well, gigging with it I usually set it like the unpainted one, maybe a little more gain. I usually use it for a lower to medium gain tone. My amp is usually set (all oclock settings facing from behind the amp) Going for a clean Marshall meets Vox tone.
    Bright On (my PRS's are dark)
    Volume 10
    Treble 1
    Mid 11
    Bass Dimmed
    Cut All the way off
    Master 10-1

If I really want to wail I crank the the Volume and the Gain on the Eternity, it breaks up real nice even with the amp set pretty clean.

THESE ARE JUST A COUPLE OF SETTINGS, MOST USED. But there are many other settings I use. Amp and Eternity.

16. slowburn

17. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

How do you guys post pics? I looked at the instructions and it confused the hell out of me.

18. basscracker

basscracker Guest

i use photobucket works well and is free:D

19. slowburn

I just uploaded the pic to my own server. I hear photobucket is easy to use, but it's just easier for me since I already have my site's server available.

20. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Awesome tone....!!