Eternity, COT50 & KR Megavibe review

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AerialBoundries, Feb 12, 2006.

1. AerialBoundries

AerialBoundries Member

Friday was a good day!

[​IMG]

I received my new Eternity and my returning COT50 from Sean, which we thought had a bad pot causing some noise in my rig, but the effect itself turned out to be just magnifying another issue. Sean was beyond fantastic to deal with! These beasts have earned permanent spots for sure. The COT is the red-led version, and I've found it to be everything its touted to be. I tend to use it set at noon or below for that nice Plexi-ish clean-grit sound into a slightly driven amp. The fuzz tone at the higher end of the dial is great too, but I mostly like to leave it set lower and on all the time to beef up my basic tone. Enter the Eternity ... this is one kickass pedal. Still working on taming it, actually! I've been enjoying figuring it out just by itself, so I haven't spent much time stacking it with the COT - although, I can hear the possibilities there! Its just what I hoped it would be - a huge, fat sounding OD bordering on distortion. The knobs from left to right are volume, treble boost and clip. I like the treble boost set low, as my Cub is on the bright side. With the stock chip, I find the dirt comes on early when turning up the clip knob - the rest of the dial delivers a more compressed, smooth but mean OD. I'm planning to try a few IC swaps this week for curiousity sake. Theonly problem is, the noise issue I mentioned (including radio interference) is pretty noticable with the incredible boost of both pedals when stacked. Playing at a friend's place through his 67 Vibrolux was much quieter. Anyway, 2 big thumbs up for the Lovepedals :AOK :AOK Should be testing them more in different venues this month.

Megavibe. Yummy. For size reference, here it is next to the E:

[​IMG]

This pedal is incredible. I previously owned a Mojovibe, and really enjoyed it. Generally speaking, both pedals are excellent vibes. They both deliver the thick Hendrix/Trower tones most people go for - I would say that the Mojo gets even thicker than the Mega. For my style, I prefer the Megavibe. It reminds me of the Hendrix Woodstock univibe tone, like others have said. I really like the way it reacts with overdriven and heavier fuzz tones. It seems to keep more of the original guitar tone. I guess it sounds more like I expect an original would. This one is another keeper for me.

Hopefully this is helpful to my fellow pedal addicts. Knowing my personal addiction ... I can taste my foot already, but I feel like my OD and vibe searches are over :eek:

2. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Awesome review!:BEER

I love my Megavibe as well. The tones one can get is truly unreal.

3. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

Three of a Perfect Pair!! I have them on my board and they've become permanent fixtures. Try running the Vibe first into the COT and "E". I think you'll like it!

4. AerialBoundries

AerialBoundries Member

That's my favorite order, too - I was just trying something different with the COT first.

5. CBeeper

The Mega is so sweet isn't it? I've had a Dunlop, Mojo and CC2 Provibe. Nothing gets the whoosh like the Mega. When I first got mine I had the Intensity way up like yours. Try backing it down a bit, it still sounds great.

6. AerialBoundries

AerialBoundries Member

Thanks, I'll try that. I'm loving every second of this thing! Damn, I gotta go play it now! Gotta work on the Lovepedal stacking, too :dude

BTW - any fuzz suggestions to go with this setup? I'm thinking either Karl or KR Gypsy Fuzz.

7. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

That's a sweet setup! Stacking COT with the E is pure heaven... I also enjoy stacking my BJF EGDM with the E, a great great sound.

8. CBeeper

The E and EGDM must sound cool together. Does it get to gainy and mush out? What order do you use them in?

9. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

CBeeper, yes they do sound extremely cool together. Both pedals have the gain set quite low, the E about 9 oclock, EGDM 10-11 oclock. At those settings it doesn't mush out, it's just this really thick distorted sound. Works really well with my Telesonic & Bad Cat. I think it works 'cause the pedals have different eq curves and dynamics, they complete each other beautifully. Right now I'm going EGDM->Eternity, tried them the other way around quickly, but this seemed to work better...

It's just an unbeliavably great sound. The sound makes me want to bang out that same chord over & over again and makes me smile and act retarded :dude

10. CBeeper

I know what you mean. Sometimes something comes out of the amp that does right to the center of your brain and you lose control. :p
    I've been wanting to try the EGDM for a while now. I guess it goes on my short list!

11. threm

threm Member

Discovered a change on the KR site;
    "Due to the great response we've received from overseas customers wanting us to start selling pedals in Europe we are now offering our products to customers overseas through Paypal."
    http://www.krmusicalproducts.com/internationalorders.htm

Btw. What`s the best vibe for the more P.Floyd type of vibe sounds??

12. exodus

exodus Member

Hey AerialBoundries--

I have a large box Mega and can confirm that it is amazing. I was looking at the small box unit... and it looks like yours has jacks on the left and right side of the box. Are there actually jacks on both sides? Are they both speed control jacks? If so, was this a custom option?

13. AerialBoundries

AerialBoundries Member

The one on the right is the speed pedal jack and the left one is a small black rocker switch for chorus/vibrato. I've also seen Kevin mount this on top using a silver bat-style switch. The Mojovibe also uses these, but its recessed in the case to prevent breaking.

I've been having a lot of those "special" moments with this setup, getting lost in the depth and variety of tones, especially with the Megavibe.