Eternity on batteries Vs Power Supply?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Axe_78th, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Axe_78th

Axe_78th Member

I haven't had a chance to A/B the differences. Perhaps you guys might save me the trouble. Any of you think the Eternity sounds better on a battery than a power supply? Thanks in advance.

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    please stop polluting the environment with batteries :horse

3. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

most of my od pedals do beter with batteries.

4. Axe_78th

Axe_78th Member

Thanks so far, Anybody out there prefer their Eternity with a battery over a power supply?

5. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

As a general rule, I use batteries with all my Fuzz/OD/Boost pedals. I have actually spent some time with my Eternity and checked out the difference - very, very subtle, but I think I can hear one. Its weird, but my tone sounded "bouncier" with the batteries - so I would guess that the difference is more in feel as opposed to tone. Other OD's have demonstrated a more pronounced difference (my FAB 50 and Beano Boost come to mind) where I could detect differences in both tone and feel.

These days I just stick a dummy plug in my DC jacks when not using my pedalboard to save some life on the batteries. I have also tried to hear the carbon battery vs Alkaline battery difference, but couldn't really hear it - but I can get carbon batteries at the dollar store for about 50 cents apiece, so I go that direction. :rolleyes:

6. Improviser

Improviser Member

I found little difference in tone between using carbon batteries or a quality (eg Voodoo Lab) power supply with this pedal.

7. auratnik

auratnik Supporting Member

I prefer batteries with all of my pedals. Boss DD3 sound georgeus with battery but it don't last long.

8. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

This is your Eternity
    [​IMG]

This is your Eternity on batteries
    [​IMG]

Any questions?

9. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

A battery will last a really long time in the E, maybe not 8 years like in a Fuzz Factory, but still a considerable amount of time.

10. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I prefer to not use batteries and it has nothing to do with the environment. Power supplies give me one less thing to worry about. In fact, I like the way almost all pedals sound better with a power supply

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    So do I - plus
    please stop polluting the environment.
    It's completely unnecessary to use batteries and much more expensive in the long run :jo

12. coreybox

coreybox Member

Depending on what power supply and what pedals you use! I can get batteries for $1 each. Instead of a pedal power, I could buy 169 batteries. That would last a very very long time in Od/fuzz pedals.

But yeah, I like a power supply better so I can keep my effects mounted.

13. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Batteries will make no difference in this pedal. Batteries make the most noticeable difference in a Fuzz Face circuit. Other fuzzes and ODs, it doesn't matter, so use a power supply and keep'em hooked up. I had a Roadhouse E and tried it both ways. Sounded exactly the same (batteries vs. power supply) through 3 different amps and with 4 different guitars. Any difference is psychosomatic.

14. rdobson

rdobson Member

yeah thats the way i feel too...for a non-pro guitarist liek me,who can spend that kinda cash on batteries all the time???

I can't tell the difference

15. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

I agree. I hear the diff. between carbon and alkaline batteries and have bought a few used pedals that came with alkaline pedals and soudned MUCH better when I put a fresh carbon battery in them. I think thye are warmer and less sterile sounding. ymmv.

16. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Im using my burst E with the sag tap on my pp2...I think it sounds great.