Eternity Question - Black -vs- Burst

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarman1956, Jun 14, 2008.

1. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

With regard to the new version eternity, does the black have more ovedrive/gain on tap than the Burst? Or, are they the same?

thanks

2. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I own both, they are very close gain wise. My black one sounds gainier to me ( although I've read the bursts have a hint more gain ) Black one also retains more bass IMHO

Burst is woodier and a bit more of a mid hump. Burst is closer to as tube screamer than the black one if that makes sense. Black sounds a bit more modern.

I have the black on my board and have the burst as a backup. Both sound fantastic and i could live with either one as my only OD. There's something about them that sound very pro in a band context.

3. otisray

otisray Member

I own the black one, have never tried the burst. Great pedal, awesome OD! Nice singing type tone. The cool thing about the Eternity is being able to change out the internal chip. I tried several different chips(got off Ebay from Lucibox), ended up putting a Burr Brown in the pedal, recommended by Lucibox. It seems to have a little more smoothness and low end. I just got a Lovepedal Tchula, will be trying it out today, good luck!!

4. guitarman1956

5. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I would like to know how this black E holds against the Little Green Wonder.... it sounds like a cool comparison by the above descriptions.

6. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

7. Giannis

Giannis Senior Member

I dont kow of the new ones but I have a 08 silver onne that rocks!

If you can find a white 08 custom HW PTP one (he oly made 20 of them a few months ago) ... BUY IT!!!!!!! SIMPLY THE BEST he has made.

8. Wooley

Wooley Member

If the "black one" is a Roadhouse Eternity, then I own the "black one" and a burst. I find the burst is a little edgier, a little more classic-rock toned, whereas I find the RH a little more open and airy.
    The RH rides my board, the Burst sits around waiting to be played with when I'm in the mood.

9. guitarman1956

Wooley...are you saying the black one has more gain than the burst?
    Thanks

10. guitarman1956

11. Wooley

Wooley Member

Actually, I would almost say the opposite, that the Burst feels like it has more gain. I'm not sure if that is true, but that is how it sounds to my ears. Now bear in mind that I have used them both exclusively with an SG into a Bassman, so that difference in input between 'buckers and singles and the high headroom of the Bassman has a lot to do with how pedals sound in my rig. I feel like the RH E has a certain quality (that is VERY hard to describe) that is really special. It's not "open-ness" in terms of compression, it's this sort of ethereal quality to the tone (again, into that high-headroom Bassman). To me, it has the sound of being in an open room in a decent-sized club. The RH "smoulders" whereas the Burst "burns" a little more. Yeah, I actually think that is how I'd describe it, and I don't mean to sound like some cork-sniffing afficionado, but if you could listen to them both side by side, live, I think you'd get exactly what I mean.
    So, I would say: if you want more BURN, go with a Burst; if you want more SMOULDER, go with a Roadhouse.

And here's a dancing banana: :banana

12. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Excellent anaysis........and I agree ( being the owner of both versions as well )