Eternity Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dingdongbell070, Jul 10, 2006.

1. dingdongbell070

dingdongbell070 Member

So, i just got an eternity and it is an awsome pedal, its very full has a great bottom end and plenty of gain on tap. But to me it almost feels a little grainy almost dry...I dont really know how to explain better than that but I guess Im looking for more smoothness. Granted I am running the pedal with my fender blues deluxe only on about 2 and am not really in a situation where I can turn the amp up louder than that. Im also using a les paul classic

I guess my question is will cranking the amp while running this pedal smooth it out more? Attenuator the answer? What about different IC's? Stacking options?
    I love everything about this pedal it would just make it that much more perfect if I could smooth it out a little bit more

2. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

perhaps you need something like a zendrive, which is supposed to be smoother than an E.

3. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Put a JRC4558 in it and you'll be lovin it.

4. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I run mine with volume and gain at about 9 o'clock and I find it pretty smooth, with just the right amount of grit. Of course, everyone's definition of smooth is different. But, in contrast to something open and grainy like an OCD or Keeley BD-2, I find the Eternity pretty smooth and singing. It does smooth out a little more at higher volumes, but try running the gain (all the way to the right) knob a little lower. I find most of the dramatic gain changes in my E occur between all the way CCW and 9 o'clock on the gain knob.

5. gulliver

gulliver Member

If your amp is super clean with full dynamics, I think you're missing out on any pedal you put before it. Just crank it when your neighbors are cutting the lawn, and see if that helps before investing in an attenuator.

6. rewog

rewog Member

I would have never thought of the Eternity as "dry", but I think the stock chip that it ships with is probably the best you'll get as far as fat and smooth.
    If you're really chasing a very smooth overdrive ... the Zendrive is probably the answer.

7. drolling

drolling Member

As much as I dig mine, I could see where the character of the E's distortion may not be for everybody - however, it is a versatile & flexible overdrive, w/a wide range of tones and textures to be found thru' careful tweaking of the tone & clip controls. They're a lot more interactive than most and I change the settings dramatically depending on which guitar/amp combination I'm using.

Then there's that socketed op-amp that can be swapped out if you can't dial in the sound you're looking for.

Sean removes the markings from the stock chip, but he sent me an alternate TL072ACN (it was tangled up in bubble wrap and I almost threw it out!) and it made all the difference in the world for me. Most players seem to prefer the stock chip, but there are a number of other choices out there beside the TL072 - a search thru' the archives should turn up a ton of info, including where to buy them. They cost anywhere from a few cents to a few dollars and it's very easy (and fun) to experiment w/them.

The pedal's always in high demand, so if you end up deciding it's not for you, it won't be difficult to sell it for close to what you paid.

But I urge you to experiment. I wasn't really knocked out by the pedal myself till I worked w/it for a while, and swapping the chip was the crucial step for me. I've had other pedals that were great fun straight out the box, but quickly found they were 'one-trick-ponies', while I enjoy what I can do w/the E more & more every day.

8. stratneck

stratneck Supporting Member

I agree ,the E, is a little dry, this is the 2nd E the I owned and sounds
    thicker than the previous one, will never make it as a treble booster,
    I'm using a lo72 chip not as grainy and the pedal is a rock pedal! it is what it is!, The Zen,is not in the same category, is jazzy, If you want a smooth
    Over drive, I'll vote for thr Tim. IMOH.;)

9. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Yeah, all 3 eternities I have tried sounded pretty different. But unlike gibson quality control whatever leaves the lovepedal shop is gonna sound good. :D

10. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

+1 I almost turned around and sold mine the day it came. I didn't see what all the hype was about at first. The longer I have it the more I love it. It is the standard that I compare all of my new od's against. Many can do some of what the E can do, but the E can always do it better. More sustain, much more available boost, fuller bottom, sweeter treble boost, smooth yet retains the grains of tube od, etc. Put it side by side with your favorite TS pedal (not that it is a TS) and see how much more the E can do.