Eternity -vs- Barber Direct Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarman1956, Jul 27, 2006.

1. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

Is the Eternity really $200 better than a Direct Drive? If so, how?

2. bullet69

bullet69 Member

you know thats subjective and you are just trying to start a fight

3. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

If you think the Eternity is 3 times better than the Barber then it is.

If you don't think so, then it is not.

Just depends on what each individual thinks.

Nuff said...

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

$200 better at what ?

5. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Are these 2 even alike? I've owned a Barber DD, and it didn't do much for me. In what ways is the eternity like it?

6. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Yea, it's an opinion. I have a direct drive and have played an eternity. Both are great pedals. However both are very different. I just wasn't a fan of the eternity and the price it was going for at the time. I am still looking for a pedal to beat out my direct drive. I like bang for your buck deals. Most of barber's stuff IMHO is just that. Both are great pedals and Lovepedals is a great company.

7. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Troll :nono

8. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Not a good way to start a thread on any gear board. But here is another way to look at it.

Is a 1958 Les Paul Standard worth $147,000 more than a 1958 Historic?

Is a 1967 Plexi worth $3000 more than a Reissue Plexi?

Is a 1957 Strat worth $25,000+ more than a 1957 RI strat?

Is a Klon worth $350? Are Historics THAT MUCH better than Standard production models?

Or a comparison like you're trying to pull off:

Is a bag of oranges really $.50 better than a bag of apples?

Almost everything with gear is subjective, and extremely open to debate. Older is not always better, boutique is not always better, USA made is not always better. Sometimes you CAN find a great sounding Mexican standard strat. BUT, NO ONE, EVER, wants to hear you compare your Mexican strat that you bought for $400, be compared to their minty 1956 strat, that they just gave up a child's college fund for. And they SURE AS HELL, don't wanna have their corn flakes pissed in, about how much money they just spent.

Got it? Good.

9. Tprince

Tprince Member

I basically posted just to reiterate what you said. Well put, bluesbreaker.

10. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I have an Eternity and am a fan, but I don't see this question as being all that contentious... lighten up people!

11. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I love these kind of posts being I am a very value minded person. I think you guys are being a little tough on the poster here. I myself wonder why two similar made items could be that much difference in price? The eternity is not a collectable pedal that was made to a limited run so taking that out of the equation I see it maybe more as a hype thing. If you break it down even if the components to build the eternity were a little more expensive it surely cant justify the cost difference in the selling price. At the same time the bottom line in this case is sound quality. I have never tried either pedal and certainly if I felt the eternity was in a different league sound wise I would then be able to justify the cost difference. But this is no different then comparring any two products. One is always going to be better value.

12. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Well using that same logic:

I'll just go buy a Danelectro Pastrami OD, its only $19, the Barber costs 5 times as much, surely the components can't be that different.:roll

You know why the Eternity sells for $300, because people are willing to pay that. Frankly, David could increase the price on his unit as well, if he wanted and people would pay.

Part of the reason that they sell for that much is they are creating prestige marketing. Hardly any "piece of gear" on the market needs to sell for what they charge us, think about it, they buy their parts in bulk. BUT GUESS WHAT? These guys have families to support TOO!!! They are NOT philanthropists, or charitable organizations, they are businessmen.

If you think Brand X charge too much, DON'T BUY BRAND X!! Stick with Brand Y.

BTW, I got one of David's first ever DD pedals, I loved it, its a fantastic pedal, and when I had a problem his customer service was WELL beyond the call of duty. I've never owned an Eternity, but I've owned other high $ pedals, so I understand what's going on there. Don't try to piss in someone's corn flakes, because they like Brand X.

13. Wooley

Wooley Member

I agree, I think people are being too hard on the poster, and not just because I agree with him or because I offered a similar discussion in another post :p . I don't think comparing two overdrives with similar gain levels and applications is comparing apples to oranges (that would be comparing OD to Fuzz). In fact, I don't even think it's comparing green apples to red apples (that would be comparing tube screamers to other circuits). I think it's more like comparing Gala Red Apples to Braeburn Red Apples. Which one tastes BETTER? Which one has the better texture? It's a matter of personal taste (as so many have pointed out). The question is, would you pay three times as much for a Braeburn apple? So I still think this is a worthwhile question. The difference of course, is that one doesn't cost nearly three times the other. So I think it's safe to say that if you have $329 to burn and the Eternity sounds SO much better to you than a DD or a Gainster or a Liquid Sunshine or an OCD or a Blackstone or whatever you want to compare it to that you feel you need it, then by all means buy it. If not, it ain't like any of the pedals mentioned (or many other current boutique models) aren't astonishingly great sounding overdrives at little more than a third to a half the cost. So it's really up to the buyer. The only way to answer the question is to play them both and decide for yourself. I would add that NONE of this is meant to be argumentative, clearly everyone is entitled to their feelings and opinions, I am just offering mine.
    By the way (to admit my ignorance), what's a troll?

14. guitarman1956

Interesting comments: Let me rephrase my question this way: If you own a Barber Direct Drive, is the sound of a Eternity worth $200 more?

15. Wooley

Wooley Member

By the way, this is all a great point. It begs the question, if the Direct Drive (or so many other ODs) just started charging $300 bucks, how long would it be before everybody started clamboring for one and anointing it the "best"? Might be an interesting experiment.

16. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

They aren't really in the same vein though. They are only remotely the same type of drive pedal.

I love David Barbers stuff. I haven't been able to kick my DD off my board for more than a month in 3+ years at the same time the Eternity is one of those step on and engage = sonic bliss type pedals. I like them both. I don't really see it as competition in that sense. David wanted to bring a quality overdrive at a price point where most of us working people could easily afford, and trust me it kicks the **** out of ANYTHING in the $100 taiwan made stuff. David has a few people working with him though that can build these things, even then it was tough to get them for a while. Sean doesn't want to work all the time, and he's still getting tons of orders, but it seems that he enjoys building custom stuff and creating new stuff so being a very small shop the price point has to be high to keep the orders reasonable.

I'd like to see how the tone pump compares to some of the more expensive overdrives. No one seems to talk about the Tone Pump here.

I'd rather see the Tone Pump EQ and the Eternity side by side.

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

does a Chateau Margaux worth that much over a Saint-Emillion grand cru?

18. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Allow me to offer up what I said on the "Eternity price goes up" thread.
    I just laid out the $329 for a new Eternity. I have previously owned and sold 2 for various reasons, mostly due to pursuing other much hyped pedals. So in my case, I am not succumbing to hype. I know the product well and have decided (after trying many, many others) that it is the right OD for me. I regret that I spent a lot of $ along the way to arrive at this determination, but I recouped my expenses on most of my deals (including the 2 Eternitys). Do I wish I had just held on to the first one I bought new for $259? Sure, but I had a lot of fun along the way and learned a lot. I never tried a Barber pedal, I'm sure they are very fine in their own right. As to whether or not my soon to arrive new Eternity is $200 better, I have no idea. I just have confidence it is the right pedal for me. For me, it is $ well spent. At what price point would I say "that is too much"? I hope I don't have to find out :p

19. guitarman1956

Anyone here owned both the Barber DD and the Eternity? Can you do your best to explain how each sounds?

20. bailnout

bailnout Member

My personal approch to gear buying and where cost plays a factor in my desision making processes is this...I can't put a price on MY tone. If I like a piece of gear because of what it does for my tone, I buy it. If it's cheap, great! I'm no snob. If it cost more money than what I have, I do whatever it takes to be able to afford that item.

That's just me and my two pennies. Your milage may vary and all that stuff.