Eternity vs. BB Preamp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Craftmatic, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

The BB Preamp is what I use for a TS-circuit-based soloing pedal. I'm wondering how the regular, latest smd version of the Eternity compares to it. The version currently on sale at Proguitarshop & on Sean's site.

2. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

techncially, the bb preamp is a bit different than the tubescreamer circuit - namely the inverting stage instead of non-inverting. Of course, there is the baxandall eq circuit which is quite a bit different. Actually, it's really quite a bit different - the only thing the same is really the fact that it is soft clipping.

From the tests I've done with both pedals the BB has much more bass available and is a little 'flatter' eq wise. I like the bb through small combo amps better - the eternity through larger amps personally. Just a preference thing - not a rule by any means.

bw

3. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I have had a bunch of different versions of the E and the BB on 2 separate occasions. For me, I like the HW burst E the best of all of them. I keep going back to the Burst HW eternity. I personally found the SMD E to be a little bright for my tastes. The BB was okay, but just not what I was looking for. The E was smoother/darker to my ears.

4. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Despite many post to the affirmative, I don't think the BB is anything remotely like a TS. :messedup

I use it much more for tighter, medium gain crunchy rhythm sounds. I think of it as my Marshall-ator into my Mesa LSC.

It's a very cool pedal IMHO.
    :dude

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I have a BB on the way and have owned an Eternity (twice), they don't sound anything alike from what I remember. I remember the BB being more like the BOR or an OCD then a TS type pedal.

6. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

The BB is the most versatile dirt pedal I have. Never had an E and I just can't tell what an E sounds like from the Proguitarshop video. Everything sounds the same because of that damn 65 Soho amp they use for everything. I know, I read that thread... :jo

7. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Yeah that and the G12H30. But you know what, this happens to every last one of us! We buy all these dirt boxes looking for a few good ones to add to our tonal pallete. What happens 90% of the time is that we run them through OUR AMP and OUR SPEAKERS and guess what...THEY ALL SOUND THE SAME!!!! Hahahahahahahaha.

8. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

The AC Boost is closer to the E than a BB is, although the E has more gain and mid color than the AC, or a TS to my ears.

9. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Are you saying everything sounds the same through a G12H30? I have one in my Classic 30 and to some extent you might be right when it comes to running amps through it but that speaker is sensational with natural amp OD as well as all dirt pedals.

10. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

BB is nothing like TS. More neutral in eq. Very compressed. More of a preamp gain vibe.

The new black E's are very cool. I just got one and love it. Not really a TS either. Great harmonics when pushing an already breaking up amp.

I sold the BB and kept the Black E. (Also sold the Roadhouse E)

11. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Umm, no, that was not my point at all.

12. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

I just bought a new black E from the Emporium. After reading some other threads I'm worried about the lack of lows on it. Wouldn't be fair to compare the BB & E for bottom end because the BB has separate bass & treble controls which are extremely effective (as opposed to some on other pedals that do little or a single tone knob that does nothing).

13. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Update: I've been fooling around with my new E for about a week and although I wish it had more bottom end, I am intrigued by it. There's something very addictive about it's very smooth and appealing soft clipping. I am A/B-ing it with the BB of course and I find both have their strengths. I am thinking about experimenting with replacement chips for the E: the Burr Brown [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]OP2604AP, the [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]LM1458 which is supposed to increase the low-end, and the [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]TL072 that used to be offered by Sean with E's as an alternative.[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]

14. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I have had a couple of Eternitys and while I like them and still keep one I would use the BB more often. To me it's way more versatile and works for all types of playing I do. It even works well with Gretsches in that slightly dirty almost clean way that I like. The Eternity is more of a lead pedal IMHO. I too wish it had more lows, but then it might not have that cool midrange.

I think the Eternity is way overhyped but it does sound good. The BB is a better all-round bet though.

15. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

That is so hilarious, and also very true!!

Yeah I read that thread too.

EVERY dirt pedal just sounds like the amp.

The only good thing about those vids is you get an oral explanation of the knobs.lol

16. vlance

vlance Member

I had both the E and the BB for almost 2 years and contrary to popular opinion, much preferred the BB, which was fatter yet more articulate. I did not bond with the basic voice of the E, which I found to be too nasal. Just my experience, not knocking lovepedals. I love my super6 and Cot50!

17. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

I just talked to someone at PGS on the phone and mentioned the thing about the 65 Soho and the sameness of the OD demos and he said it was the most neutral amp. I have to watch their 65 Amp videos. Maybe they all sound the same too! :hide

18. ProGuitarShop

ProGuitarShop Member

Yes, it should be expected that, if you are using the same amp etc, a lot of tones will sound the same. After all it is the same amp, guitars, and players. This and the fact that a lot of pedal designs are very similar.

FYI. We are micing a Celestion Blue and not a G12H30.

19. ProGuitarShop

ProGuitarShop Member

I'm wondering what computer speakers you are using. If you are using run of the mill speakers and viewing on YouTube the tones will be inaccurate. If you have decent studio monitors etc. and you listen to the videos on our site you will be able to hear the subtle differences between the pedals. Also keep in mind that if a bunch of the overdrive pedals sound alike, then maybe a bunch of the overdrive pedals sound alike. ;)

20. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I have both pedals and use them with my Germino Club 40. I find myself bouncing back between the two of them. Lately, I have been playing the Eternity most of the time. It sounds more natural to me. I don't hear any lack of low end, but that might be because the Club 40 has plenty to spare.

The BB has survived for years on my pedalboard while others have come and gone. In fact, I owned an Eternity a couple of years ago and, at that time, decided to keep the BB. I can't recall what amp I was using at the time.