Eternity vs Dirt Royale w/Cheez

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fast ricky love, Jul 4, 2006.

1. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

This will be to drive my EL84 Bruno UG30.

At the moment I'm using the Eternity and really like it into that amp.

I'm on Scotty's list tho for the Dirt Royale and in the meantime just thought I'd ask what you folks that have tried both consider the differences to be? I'm chomping to say the least to get it!!! :cool:

2. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

I've had an Eternity and my Dirt Royale should be here fairly shortly so we can compare notes!

In the meantime, yeah I'd like to know too.

3. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

I had the Eternity and recently sold it. I demo'ed the Dirt Royale with Cheeze and immediately ordered it. I don't consider one to be a direct replacement for the other. They are both great pedals.

To me, the way each pedal maintains highs is what makes them special but also unique from one another. While the E injects highs (ala treble booster), the DRwC uses a Tone sweep, which is highly interactive with the Gain. The DRwC also has a Phaze mode that adds presence and clarity.

If I could only have one it would definately be the DRwC. To my ears, its tone is more organic, it's more resistent to unwanted noise, and it's more versatile.

Cheers,
    McE

4. Realfi

Hey just curious if you got your Dirt Royale yet....I'm still waiting for mine...

5. what?

what? Member

I just got a dirt royale, it's more of a lower to medium gain pedal and with the cheeze switched it's a fuzzy overdrive?the eternity is more a smooth OD?the dirt royale is killer for say scot henderson's guitar sound in VTT2...bitey! but with the phaze (??) the drive knob pulled out it could be mellow..

6. fast ricky love

Nope. Very anxious! So the DR is rawer than the Eternity what?

7. Realfi

Thanks for that comparison.

I'm actually hoping to extract Alt-Country/Rock approved tones out of the DR. I actually found the Eternity was a bit too lush and smooth for what I do.

8. rewog

rewog Member

Have you tried a Screw Driver ? .... :drool

9. Realfi

No Rewog I haven't but I've heard good things about it for sure.

Then again I'm actually pretty happy with the current stage rig for what I do and I still have the aforementioned Dirt Royale to come...oh, and the custom TIM and then if Sean releases that Purple Plexi...and......well the truth is I've got plenty of pedals what I really need is a little amp!

After recent touring experiences I actually want to down-size my board but so far I'm not doing a very good job of it!

10. rewog

rewog Member

It's just that your comments about the Eternity being too lush and smooth made me think the SD might be exactly what you're after.

You're welcome to try mine anytime if you like.
    Just bang on my door and you can take it away for a couple of days and try it with your rig. :YinYang

11. Realfi

Cheers!

12. what?

what? Member

I borrowed rewog's screwdriver and ordered one :p

it's more a classic rock pedal, lots of bite but smooth at the same time, makes my strat thinks it's a gibson....

13. fast ricky love

Wow, I'd never heard of the ScrewDriver... sounds amazing!! Just ordered one! :)

14. rewog

rewog Member

:dude You'll love it. + They're a bargain at the current price + Marc's a great guy !!

15. muddy

muddy Member

it really depends on how you set up your amp & the gainstaging of whatever ped's come before it, as to whether or not the drwc responds like a high or med. gain od. get it right, and it has HEAPS o'gain! and with the phaze pulled up! it's really become my #1 od, and that's mainly because of how responsive it is to your playing & attack. it's almost like it's alive! but i wouldn't call it a raw sound, though it can do that, it just has a lot of texture that can be manipulated by your playing, and you can push it in the direction of a higher gain, more compressed sound if you so choose. the key is the feed. it's a VERY expressive od, and HIGHLY addicting. and if i want a more over the top fuzz/od (for leads, especially), the power driver takes over the chair very nicely. but if you dial your amp into a more saturated direction with it's power toobs (and it doesn't have to be overdriven by the pre's gain staging, either), the drwc WILL follow suit. trust me, i do it all the time. what you'll find the most addicting, though, is the responsiveness of the ped. it sings ,blooms & cries like you would not believe! this is NOT a dull sounding pedal by any means! it sizzles...

ml

btw, comparing it to the eternity is silly. they are comPLETELY different od's. not at all alike.

16. Realfi

Thanks muddy- very informative however you're not helping my patience at all!

I'm trying to put together a smaller, lighter touring board with only one dual overdrive and one clean boost + trem, delay and tuner. I'm hoping that The Dirt Royale w/cheese may fit the bill for me for general OD duties for this board.

17. fast ricky love

Cool thanks muddy. I've got the DRWC coming (one of these days!) and the Screwdriver so I'm psyched to try em.