eternity vs. kot? tim? klon?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blazzrock, Sep 4, 2008.

1. blazzrock

blazzrock Supporting Member

i got a handwired burst etermity a bit ago that is currently making me want to take the ldo off of my board. i figured i would check out the e and end up flipping it, but that is not the case at all. the e is much more open and big sounding. it made me realize just how compressed the ldo is. i rarely get to open up my amp, so i've been going crazy lately buying and trying pedals, with hope in finding the one or two that will give me the tone i hear in my head. so far i've tried the soldano gto, butler tube driver, analogman sunface, xotic rc, ac, and bb, ldo, mo'd, zendrive, mosferatu, and eternity. i've got a kot currently on the way, and would also like to try a tim, klon, and maybe a fulldrive. lately i've been liking the rc for edge of breakup/rhythm stuff pushed by the e for lead. i wish the rc had a bit more gain by itself though. do you think like these other pedals?

2. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

What are your settings on the LDO? What do you think of the Mosferatu?

Thanks

3. blazzrock

my ldo settings are gain between 9 - 11 o'clock, vol at unity, tone between 10 - 2 o'clock.

so far the mosferatu is one of my favorite pedals for higher gain. i can't decide between it, the mo'd, and the bb. i like them all for different things, but i rarely use that much gain anymore. to me the mo'd is pretty amplike and has more of a hardness to it, and the toggle gives you 3 distinctly different flavors of gain. the bb is kind of a compressed marshally eighties rock sound that retains some of the original amps charcter, and the mos does the early king's x thing (tight, articulate, smooth, almost fuzz territory) really well. i don't have a lot of time with these pedals, it's just my initial take on them.

4. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

Cool, I've never tried the Mos, but would like to some day. Where do you have the toggle switch on the LDO.

Thanks

5. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

I like the Timmy for edge of breakup - my fave so far in that role. The Honey Bee has also staked out permanent residence on my board. It works well in that capacity too, but is much more colored (in a very good way) opposed to the transparency of the Timmy.

I didn't care for the Eternity or Fulldrive at all. I know I'm in the minority here, but their midrange character just didn't appeal to me. I have a Klon on the way, so I'll be interested to hear how it compares. I'm planning to use it as a clean boost and to goose the Timmy and HBOD.

6. blazzrock

sometimes up, sometimes middle, never down, it's just too compressed for me in the down position.

7. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i just got home from a gig tonight and had my eternity riding into my TIM for some SICK solo tones. I'm talking people were checking out my board to see what was on kind of thing. it was awesome.

8. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

a timmy AND a KOT was soooooooo much fun. the timmy gives me the best eq of any drive pedal i've ever tried. the KOT gave me the smoothest gain structure . . . excellent for leads or chords, really. together, i got smooth clipping with excellent eq or nice, gritty clipping with a lower-mid boost that clipped smoothly. i will have a KOT again. it shouldn't be very long, actually. excellent pedal. for MY uses, these two pedals are the best I have played. both are serious bang for the buck when bought from the dealer (yes. . . the KOT wait is still very long).

9. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Nothing like a timmy or a klon IMO.

10. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

The Tim would be the most open sounding and least compressed and has a nice grind to it. The Klon would give you more girth to the tone (excellent buffer)...but as a mild boost only, otherwise too compressed. The KoT is a great pedal, but nothing outrageous IMHO...just another great sounding drive pedal.

I've been through this a few times over but keep going back to my Landgraffs... My SD-9/Voodoo 1 combo is also hard to beat. Enjoy the hunt ;)

11. blazzrock

what order do you have them in? do you stack them or use one at a time?

12. blazzrock

how similar are they? can the tim approximate what the klon does?

13. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Apples oranges IMO. The timmy is more transparent, probably more versatile. The Klon is more of a one trick pony, but OOOOH that trick. Sick mids. The timmy always seemed harsh when I played them (never owned one) the Klon is all about the smooth mids to me.

Never played a KOT

The E sounds like a really good and smooth Tubescreamer - esque pedal, but for me, it's too smooth.

All 3 are radically different tones to my ear, and hard to compare. I could probably make a case for all 3 on one board.

14. m@2

m@2 Member

just adding... I run my Tim into the Klon with Great results. Neither do what the other does in my experience. I also have an eternityy and a KOT. Of the 4 you listed, I picked the Tim, but I do love these pedals. All work VERY well going into the Klon (I leave my Klon on 100% of the time by the way)

15. blazzrock

now that i've had a few days to experiment with all of these pedals, my favorites are the tim, kot, and klon. as far as a lead/boost pedal, the klon is my all time favorite. i use the other two to simulate amp breakup with the klon pushing them since i can't get real amp breakup at home volumes. the tim is starting to edge out the kot due to it's transparancy, but the kot is outstanding in it's own right. i'll probably keep all three, even if only two end up on the board. unless something changes my mind, i forsee an ldo, and an rc going up for sale in the future. ;)