Eternity vs Zendrive.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SHM, Jan 20, 2008.

1. SHM

SHM Member

Ok, maybe its me, but I can´t find any threads with the both reveued.

Anyone have both? what do you think? Are the one better than the other or just different?

Thanks

Søren

2. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

well i have both..they are apples and oranges..i havent done the tried to make they sound the same or see or care if they overlap so sorry i cant help there. but they are definitely two different things..

the zen has a (in a very good and cool way, and when dialed to) a honk to it, while retaining smoothness..the 4 controls all are very interactive with each other as well.

the E is a very touch sensitive and flexible overdrive/distortion. the glass is labeled as a treble booster. and provides much more of a range and interaction with the gain than say a tube screamer etc. the gain range is also zero to distortion.. i use it gain set pretty low and find different pickups and pick attack (or fingers which i mostly use) provides alot of tonal sensitivity...

im sure you will wind up getting a bunch of answers so these are just my findings..and how they work for me..and as a bench i do not use a ton of gain.. :AOK

3. jpagey

jpagey Member

There's at least 3 threads on the exact topic which were started in the last 6 months.

4. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

They are two completely different sounding pedals. I own both. The Zen has a mid bump that can not be removed. The E has less midbump. If you have these two on your pedalboard, you most likely can cover all levels of low to mid overdrive territorys. To my ears, they complement each other perfectly. there different sounding enough to be happy . The E has a glassy tone to it. The zen is a bit more complex, the e sounds incredible right out of the box, The e sounds great with all guitar and amp types, some say the Zen is better with humbuckers, but i love it with my strat too. In my opinion, youve just named the two best o/d pedals in the world and both dont need stacking.Perfect compliment to each other, get em both and your o/d search is over

5. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

The sound extremely similar despite all these people claiming that they are completely different universes of tone. The Zen can get more aggressive with less mid hump while the E retains the midrange congestion in most settings. The E is smoother but the Zen sounds better for low gain. You could be very happy with either pedal.

6. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

these last two show the range of the human race...;)

7. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

yes they are both considered smooth o/ds zen has a strong mid hump no matter how you set it up, thats the allure of the Zen, i just dont see a Zen on your board, by which the way, is very nice,

8. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

+1. This says it all. I'd only add that the E (like all Lovepedals) really loves strats.

9. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Both are worth having. I've had two Eternities and have a Zendrive 2. Different tones for each, but I would say that the Eternity is a little more organic with your natural tone while the gain on the Zen can be pushed a little bit harder.

10. radcliff

radcliff Member

11. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

I have a zendrive on my board right now although I could put the E in and like it just as much. Im getting tired of the TS sound though so the zen will probably go to market soon.

12. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I have both. Although I think the Zendrive is a very good pedal...I've been diggin' my Eternity more as of late.

13. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Well, I guess I am the anti-Christ here.

I have an Eternity that has been packed away for over a year. I've got two Zens on my board.

For sure, the E is very familar in sound and feel, and for me it'll make it easier to play as it smooths over my right hand technique. The Zen is far more articulate, but I have to be extremely mindful of accuracy, as the Zen's distinct/articulate characteristic will put your technique right out there. Plus I find the Z1/Z2 to be very dynamic and the E just isn't, for me.

14. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

I use this combination in two ways

1] If im doing a gig or recording session with my Strat and Les paul or 335, I use the Eternity for my Strat and the Zen for the humbucker guitars or

2] If im using my Strat alone, I set the Zendive up a little differently so it sounds good with my Strat, this gives me two great Strat sounds.

Yes true, there is something a bit more special about using the Zen with humbuckers but adjust the voice, tone and gain controls and the Zen sounds special on my Strat as well.

Going beyond the subjectivity of sound, it still a combination of guitar,amp, left and right hand technique, playing style and the amount of amp volume your able to get away with that gives you different parameters of sound. With all that said, I now need to go practice guitar, for me this is what makes those pedals sound so good, not the other way around

15. jpagey

jpagey Member

16. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

:)..i hear ya...this is one of those way to subjective threads...

ill quote my earlier post by saying "this is what i found..and what works for me"

i guess i could be really PC and say..they are both pedals i think one would enjoy.

17. Sandro

Sandro Member

+1 ... Amen

18. radcliff

radcliff Member

E for SCs
    Z for HBs

19. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

hmmm... both the E & Zen are considered smooth ODs, the Zen has a mid-hump, the E less so, sounds alot like an FD2 to me (in vintage & FM modes)...

20. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

Is this the consensus....the E for SCs and the Z for HBs?