Eternity, what's the deal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mr.Hanky, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

I have heard many a good thing about this pedal, and every clip I hear I like.

So what's the dealio, who has one, how is it, good or bad?

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Awesome - very versatile/musical/open-sounding.

3. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

Only OD on my board.
    IMO, the best OD out there.

4. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

It's the real deal! Awesome, open amp like tones. The tone knob is not like most it's an additive or subtractive Treble control.

5. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Excellent pedal, but it's a personal preference thing. I like other peds I have better than the E. One factor: but I'm a mostly home office player, could be it's one of those "excels more at volume" boxes...but I know a lot of guys like them quiet too.
    Greg

6. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

:drool I'll let you know in 2 - 3 weeks. One on order, yes!!!

7. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

I might order one, my only concern is that it is too close to my Klon.

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

No direct experience w/ the Klon here, but my impression is they are apples and oranges, i.e., very different.

9. KRosser

KRosser Member

I've owned both - to my ears, it's nothing like a Klon, which I actually didn't care for personally. I love the Eternity, it just seems so far like every time I take it to a gig or session it comes up with the goods. Like anything else, even in its apparent simplicity, you can't be afraid to move some knobs around and really learn what it'll do. I particularly like that's it's not suggestive of any player/'style'/'tone category' in and of itself, like some fuzzes just scream 'late 60's/Jimi' or other OD's will have a strong 'Dumble/Ford/Carlton' flavor no matter what you seem to do with them.

10. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I like mine at a low volumes, but it really shines at higher gig volumes. A few times, I have started liking a pedal a little more than the Eternity at home or even at rehearsal, but everytime we get to a gig the E just blows it away. Some pedals get thin or too bright at high volumes, but the Eternity doesn't. It has a really nice singing sustain that I haven't found in any other od's. There are many od's with nice sustain, but when you a/b them with the E, it wins out ever time.
    I am still buying and trying other od's, but I probably should just stop because I always come back to the Eternity as my main dirt sound.

11. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Now that sounds interesting.

12. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

I've become so attached to mine that I ordered a backup just for peace of mind.

Great OD.

13. teleblaster

teleblaster Supporting Member

How does the E compair to the blackstone or is that apples and oranges too.

14. enickma

enickma Member

My E continues to astound me everytime I stomp on it. Sounds great at low volumes, even better when allowed to push. The only pedal I've found that sounds great with a Les Paul and a Strat with no tweaking. I thought I was happy with my OD pedals, but took a chance on the E bassed on all the hype around here .... really really glad I did

15. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I love the E! It's my favorite OD pedal for strat tones. Set up as a low gain boost for an already driven amp it's the cats PJ's! Sounds great for low volume noodling too. Pushing it with a Love Pedal COT-50 yields great lead tones a'la Jeff Beck. Can't say enough good things about the Eternity. :AOK

16. RobertS.

RobertS. Member

I ordered mine June 20 & Sean said it'll take 3-4 weeks so I'm pretty gassed up for it & can't wait to stack it with my COT50 & Timmy (when I finally get that!). I know there's no such thing as the perfect pedal & it's all a matter of taste anyways but since I like my COT50 so much, I'm anticipating great things from the "E"!!

17. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

Teleblaster wrote "How does the E compair to the blackstone or is that apples and oranges too."

I read alot of good things about the Blackstone so I bought one. I returned it two days later. It wasn't that it was a bad pedal - quite the contrary, it sounded stellar. The problem was that every time I coaxed a great tone out of it I found I could get a very similar tone that was just as good or better with my Eternity/FAB 50 combo (The FAB 50 is a slightly souped up COT, same tone and mojo, with just a touch more gain and brightness) - and I could do things with the Lovepedals that the Blackstone couldn't touch. The only dirt pedal that sits on my board now besides my Lovepedals is my newly acquired Crunch Box, which goes beyond what the E can do gain-wise.

To address the question asked by this thread - The Eternity sounds like nothing else I have ever played through. "Amp-like" is an overused phrase, and one that usually does not apply (IMO). Kicking on the E creates that tone of a great rig, not the tone of a great pedal. Best I can explain it...

18. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I think the Eternity is a terrific pedal, tho' I think it's best used with an amp that isn't too bright. For example its THE pedal I use with my Bruno. But it doesn't work as well with my BFDR... for that I use my Timmy.

19. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I hope its ok with DRRI, because thats what I use. The only other amp I have is ADA Rocket A20R which is EL34 based, and loves pedals. Could you tell me a little more about how why it does not do so well with BRDR?

20. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I find it too bright and biting a tone with the BFDR. And not meaty enough... of course YMMV!