Eternity, Zen Drive, OCD - Tube Screamer based?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Craftmatic, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Like the title of the post says. Wondering if any of them are....I do not like Tube Screamers. Looking for full range of gain, full frequency spectrum, open sounding, amp-like and uncolored - or as close as I can get these things with a pedal.

Most important: I want a pedal for that sounds good with a Strat through a BF-like amp. Looking for a pedal that sounds good both at bedroom levels and stage volume.

I have a BB Preamp which I believe is based on a TS but it has a lot of what I asked for above but still too compressed. I especially love the fact that this pedal has active treble and bass controls. But still on a quest...

Also have a CMatMods Brownie which is useless for my set-up (singlecoils and BF amp). It is however dynamite for 'buckers through my Classic 30.

2. TheLemon

TheLemon Senior Member

Tim.
    Favorite overdrive I've ever used.
    Just did a comparison against an older Fulldrive 2 (Tubescreamer-like) and the Tim blew it out of the water for the "my amp but more" sound, clarity, and tone

3. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Ooops. I forgot to mention that I have a Timmy on order, actually wondering if I should get a Tim instead. (Comments?)

The questions about the Eternity, Zen Drive & OCD are for my search for a pedal that can go from very little gain to quite a bit of gain.

4. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I haven't tried the Zendrive or the Eternity but I just got an OCD. I am blown away at how good it is. I'm playing an amp that is the BF vein as well and the OCD just shimmers but it has balls too. Good low end but it maintains the harmonic richness in full chords. It also works well with my other 2 drives (Fuzz Head and Keeley TS9dx Flexi 4x2).

5. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Single coils or humbuckers? Also what amp?

6. stephen_b

stephen_b Member

i haven't bonded with my brownie, but i'm finding i like its crisp tones with my strat better than the way it sounds with HB's.

7. jstone

jstone Member

The TS is special because it only boost and saturate the frequencies above 720 hz.
    By changing just on capacitor in an stock TS you can remove this characteristic and it will sound very full.

The Timmy does sort of this with its BASS knob. There you can dial in as much or little bottom as you want. You will probably have to change bass setting if you increase the drive. They work sort of in pair.

Eternity is depending on model I have heard.

The Zendrive has a simmilar bass rolloff ala timmy but with mosfets in the clipping stage. It also uses a different opamp that is cleaner.

Even if a pedal is tube screamer based it does not mean that they all share the "mid hump" that makes the characteristic TS sound.

I guess I only try to say that a Tube Screamer based pedal it is not necessary a bad thing.

8. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

As I said, I've ordered the Timmy but I'm wondering if I should change the order to a Tim.

The Zen Drive seems very interesting. How would you characterize it's sound?

Could you talk about any model Eternity you've heard? I just want to get your take on it.

9. jstone

jstone Member

First! I have never OWNED a Zen Drive or a Eternity myself. But I have tried them and studied them :) . I will have to let someone that likes the Zen to explain it in my ears it was cool but I maybe liked it more if I had more time with it as it is very capable.

The Eternity exists in 11 versions (both internally and externally according to earlier posts in this forum ) . I guess they are constantly changing/developing (I have the same problem as Sean here:) ).
    The 2 I have tried sounded completely different both in the bottom and top end. But they where both good overdrives.

I would have looked for a second pedal to work with Timmy but if you are tired of looking the Tim might be what you are looking for... again I have never owned i TIM but its boost sounds absolutely fantastic on the you tube demo.

It is sometimes hard to not be subjective :) But Timmy is a great booster / problem fixer and a very decent drive in my ears.

10. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

The Zendrive seems to maintain a cleanness of some mid-range frequency while distorted, even at high gain settings. A little boxy yet tight and full of harmonics.

Well, that's how it sounds to me.

11. tambokgt

tambokgt Member

Here's a clip I did with a Zendrive and a strat plugged to a clean tube amp.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=440001

12. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

That's a beautiful sound but it's not what I'm looking for. Your's is more of a Carlton sound and I'm looking to make my Strat through a BF amp sound like Hendrix (I said sound, not talent).

13. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

I think it's really depending on what a person calls a "tubescreamer clone". In reality, an overdrive pedal is going to use either opamps or transistors to clip a signal, clipping meaning distorting. Since an overdrive is using soft clipping, the way to do that with an opamp is by putting them in a certain place in the circuit. This is just the way it's done.

Then, ordinarily you'll want to eq the signal somehow before either clipping again or going to a tone section. Or both.

So, all this said, just because you have the same stages as a tubescreamer doesn't necessarily mean a pedal is a clone. I'll use the eternity as a example. It basically has the same signal path. HOWEVER, it has a tooootttallllllyyyyy different sound and feel to it than a tubescreamer.

Look at it this way... A toaster works one way. However, you can get french toast, cinnamon toast, bagels, etc. all simply by what goes in and comes out and what is done to it.

Ok, that may have been a bad example but you see my point.

If we start considering everything with an opamp a tubescreamer clone then by the same logic we have to assume that every guitar amplifier with tubes is a fender bassman clone.

If the true meaning of the question is which is opamp soft clipping based, then the zendrive, eternity, and timmy are all using that method. However, they all sound completely different. The OCD is hard clipping to ground IIRC.

just my $.02

14. cranqued

cranqued Gold Supporting Member

Great post, indyguitarist. Question for you: what's the difference between eq and tone in this scenario? I know next to nothing about what's going on inside these pedals, but as far as the "front end" is concerned, I usually think of EQ and Tone as being the same thing.

15. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Hi BW,

I'm the OP - and also the guy who keeps posting and emailing you to ask when the new version of the Pinnacle with corrected unity gain will be out. I love the Pinnacle sound clips. Partly because it does part of what I'm asking for here: it works great with a Strat through a BF style amp. However this thread is about lower gain pedals that meet the Strat/BF criteria but don't necessarily take me to Marshall territory. I don't want my Strat to sound like an overdriven Carlton/335 (Zen Drive, I think) or a LP into a Marshall. I want a pedal that will take me either to Hendrix territory ("dirty/clean") or Tweed note bloom (like a cranked Blues Jr.) when plugging my Strat into a BF amp. I'd take either of those last 2 options - or both!

16. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I love it with my LP Standard but I also really like it with my G&L Legacy w/Bardens. I'm mostly playing it through a Bad Cat Classic Cat Head into a Bruno 2x12 w/Tone Tubby ceramics.

17. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

The Zen is supposed to sound like Carlton-- the Dumble overdrive sound.

I own all three of the pedals, and my favorite with a strat is the OCD. It's very full sounding with a very wide, usable gain range. It's a great non-tubescreamer style overdrive. I love the eternity too, but more with humbuckers.

18. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Well then you have helped me greatly. By process of elimination, I definitely don't want the Zen Drive. It sounds like the OCD is something I'd be interested in trying.

19. TRW

TRW Member

If you're going for Jimi into BF, I'd pick either an OCD or the Jetter Purple as places to go...instead of a Zen.

-T

20. tambokgt

tambokgt Member

the Zen is not the pedal for you then. You need something like the Tim.