Ethics, Commerce, or Cheese?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by frijoleghost, May 30, 2020.

1. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

actually, it's a one of a kind guitar, which is why it jumped out at me

2. Urobouros

Urobouros Supporting Member

It doesn't bother me but does make me wonder what's wrong with it. There's an R4 with a shaved neck I've seen a couple times now. I'm sure it's a boring story but I almost envision a possessed guitar that kills each owner in a crazy concert or studio accident...maybe this is the overthinking the doc's always mentioning...

Juan Tuthri likes this.
  3. The_Bell

The_Bell Member

With those choices: cheese.

4. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Once the item is sold my interest in it ceases. I got the price I wanted and I’m content with it or I wouldn’t have sold for that price.

Worrying about things like that over which I have no control can only rob me of my peace.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  5. Juan Tuthri

Juan Tuthri Supporting Member

I've seen that one bounced around a few times.

6. wi3465

wi3465 Guitar Slut Gold Supporting Member

What I think the OP means and I agree with, is seeing a guitar on TGP sell and then see it for sale a short time later form more money. In his example, $400 more. That is substantial to me. I like to think of this place as a community and think most of us would treat each other fairly. Of course it is none of my business what someone else sells their guitar for and generally I don't care. My example is this. Years ago I was interested in a guitar on eBay and had it in a watch list. Someone else bought it. No problem. Good for them. A few days later the same guitar is for sale on TGP for more money. None of my business. However, I made a mental note to not deal with that person. One more example comes to mind. A guitar I'm interested in is listed on TGP by an individual. I don't usually do a search history on people here, for some reason I did on that listing. Two months previous there is a new guitar day post for that guitar. Cool, right. Then a mention of the great deal with discounts, coupons and he is a great deal maker, or whatever. The purchase price is posted. The current listing is considerable higher. Again, none of my business. However, someone else I probably would not do business with. I am also reminded of the occasional long thread on here and someone is repeatedly being a A'hole. I don't want to deal with them either. Again, I think of TGP as a community and I like that a lot. Perhaps I should step away from the keyboard. Thanks TGP!

7. frijoleghost

thank you for getting my exact sentiment..."it's a free country", but please don't be a transparent *erk to the fine musical types at tgp

wi3465 likes this.
  8. wi3465

wi3465 Guitar Slut Gold Supporting Member

Your welcome. I thought that is what you were going for. I still think overall, most are good and fair to one another here.

frijoleghost likes this.
  9. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

Judging from the numerous "don't care" replies, this must happen very often. Pricing things correctly is a game of wits, reading the market, intuiting desirability and putting a dollar figure on it. If someone else speculates that you're under-pricing something by enough money to make it worth their while to flip, and it turns out they're right, that has to burn a little.

10. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    Once I sell a guitar, I don't care if it winds up being sold after that for any price. It's no longer mine and no longer my business who sells it for whatever price. Imho, it's a waste of energy, time, and only produces stress to worry about something one no longer has any control over.

11. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

As someone with a degree in Economics, price is the mighty equalizer for supply and demand. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

12. Jorge E aka ricv64

Jorge E aka ricv64 Member

I've seen that in other markets . I suspect maybe there have been a few sales higher and they figure all those watching are just watching not saving up for it and they hope to grab some new person not aware it's been listed forever before . Maybe they should use new pics rewrite the listing

Jayyj likes this.
  13. frijoleghost

and, sure enuff, 300 of the extra dollars have now vanished from the asking price as the seller valiantly tries to get back what he paid for it...glwts

14. Chippertheripper

Chippertheripper Supporting Member

There’s always some sort of intangible karmic type thing going on with people that do as you’ve described.

15. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

Origional seller agreed to se at a price they were willing to take to move the guitar, if they sold it too low that's on them not the buyer/new seller.

16. frijoleghost

it took a month to move it at the lower asking price (who knows what it sold for) and water seems to be seeking its proper level

17. korus

korus Member

It is certain it's that person's best.

We should not laugh.
    We should not get angry.
    We should not feel disappointed.

We should feel and show empathy and sympathy.

Only humans can do that.

It is not superior intellect that makes us humans. It's ethics/morality.

18. frijoleghost

the guitar is now below the asking price from the previous seller...good thing it's not a house