Ethics of selling guitars with Floyd Rose

4b454e

Silver Supporting Member
In the same vein, my first guitar with a tune o matic/stop tail! Crap, the bridge fell off when I took the strings off. The stop tail did too! Crap, I didn't think to notice what direction the bridge was in before it fell off! F u c k, maybe Gibson is unethical by using these bridges! LOL.
I had that with a Gretsch, still have the scars from slapping my forehead and somehow I never considered that I should sue the seller for their negligence.

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
Posts removed, Warnings Issued. Please knock off the insults. Also, don’t quote posts you know violate TGP Rules and engage with the poster. Just report the problem and move on. Thanks.

JDutch

Had two guitars with a Floyd as a teenager. Did everything myself. Didn't find anything more burdensome than on any other guitar. I just didn't expect to play those guitars in drastically different alternative tunings. Once they're properly set up, nothing is difficult about them, including changing strings, assuming you don't remove all of the strings at the same time.

Bosko

OMG, is it ok to sell my manual transmission car? Definitely gonna have to keep my 12 string and my nylon string guitars.

Steve2112

Low post counts have become more and more the norm all of a sudden starting around March. It gets more and more like Harmony Central at TGP everyday.
I have a low post count. Does that negate my 40 years of playing guitar?

I get alerts by email and pick and choose what I would like to respond to before I even enter the site. I don't have the time or interest to get in on every thread.

My first Floyd was my USA Hamer Scepter in about 1987-8. I still have on my studio wall it as my one museum piece. I'd been playing about 2-3 years...but wasn't adept at all. I did have a friend in the biz to help. I've probably owned 20-25 guitars with Floyd or licensed. So I have a lot of expertise. Hence...here I am. Helping to set things straight on Floyds.

Sure wish I was smart enough to patent my blocking the back of the trem for string change idea.

Fireheart7

I would actually recommend hard tail for a first electric and though I started on a guitar with a trem I mostly play hard tail to this day. I had a Floyd guitar and it was frustrating at times but I always had a few guitars around so I would just play something else if I got fed up with it.
I am in the midst of getting the nut retrofit to a regular one on my only Floyd Rose guitar. I have learned how to keep my other guitars in tune without a Floyd.

No_Stairway

Great advice, I have a sweet Strat I got 2 years ago that still has the sticker over the whammy bar hole.

I wish more models of guitars were offered as hardtails. Can't just buy a custom made Strat or 594

Last edited:

No_Stairway

I have a low post count. Does that negate my 40 years of playing guitar?

I get alerts by email and pick and choose what I would like to respond to before I even enter the site. I don't have the time or interest to get in on every thread.

My first Floyd was my USA Hamer Scepter in about 1987-8. I still have on my studio wall it as my one museum piece. I'd been playing about 2-3 years...but wasn't adept at all. I did have a friend in the biz to help. I've probably owned 20-25 guitars with Floyd or licensed. So I have a lot of expertise. Hence...here I am. Helping to set things straight on Floyds.

Sure wish I was smart enough to patent my blocking the back of the trem for string change idea.

Like guitar, we only have our first post ( strum of the strings) once and typically improve from there.

No idea why it would bother someone that new posters are replying in threads. I could see if a new poster was repeating a thread that has been done 100 times in the last month. A good idea is to do a search here before posting a common question like "What's the best Klone, and just participate in one of many threads.

Don't let it bring you down, it's only castles burning.

CaptNasty

Guitar Geek
The only US made Floyds are the old garage made ones. There is no such thing as a US made Floyd from the y2ks.
The Titanium Floyd Rose is produced in California by TiSonix.

I think there have been a couple of special editions that were also produced in the US, but those rarities aside Schaller has done the OFRs for a very long time.

83stratman

I stand corrected.

The Titanium Floyd Rose is produced in California by TiSonix.

I think there have been a couple of special editions that were also produced in the US, but those rarities aside Schaller has done the OFRs for a very long time.

blackbird

Some months ago while i was at a guitar store there was a girl who wanted to buy and learn to play the acoustic guitar in order to sing along the lyrics she writes. The seller was trying to sell her an electric guitar telling her that this is the way to go starting to play guitar(!!!!!).
The girl seemed confused and disappointed trying to argue but was almost ready to finally buy an electric because she really didn't know much. Her dad didn't know anything also and was just waiting for a decision. When i heard the conversation i told her she should get an acoustic guitar if she wants one and listen none of the BS the guy is telling her and that if she gets an electric she will be sure in no time that she clearly wants an acoustic(and that's the best scenario that comes in mind). She left the store with an acoustic.
It is one of the times I feel like i was there for a reason (other than buying strings).

There is no shortage of guitsrs with a Floyd on the market.
While there is no shortage, the vast majority of the double-locking vibrato systems are NOT Floyd Roses.
When I see a newb asking what they should buy, I always suggest something with a fixed-bridge, because they're never willing to spend real money on a double-locking setup that isn't crapola.

I R P

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve been playing for 20+ years and I still have only the vaguest idea of what a Floyd Rose is and I’m okay with that.

CaptNasty

Guitar Geek
While there is no shortage, the vast majority of the double-locking vibrato systems are NOT Floyd Roses.
When I see a newb asking what they should buy, I always suggest something with a fixed-bridge, because they're never willing to spend real money on a double-locking setup that isn't crapola.
This is a great point, the all around difference between an OFR and an FR Special is real

Or... maybe I realized from that experience that I’m not a shredder and my style of music doesn’t even require me to use a tremolo. I’ve always been happy with a Les Paul Special and a Tele-style guitar. I’m about to build a custom parlor guitar with a 24.75“ neck, vintage tele bridge and bridge pickup, and an AlNiCo 2 Firebird pickup in the neck.

Everyone has biases. Mine are that I realize that I don’t really need any kind of tremolo. Yours seem to be that the Floyd Rose is the only kind to use. I admit my biases. Can you?

I admit my bias, but I'm also not just a shredder. I like everything {except Polka & Traditional Greek}, even Country, but my wheelhouse is Blues, Rock, & Fusion. Heck, I don't even know if I can do without a DLT. Ireally would like a great LP or PRS. I've yet to play ether with a DLT & see if it effects the tone to negatively.

Sorry if I offended you.

stanshall

Never played a guitar with a Floyd Rose, Bigsby, Strat, Jaguar, yes, but I wasn’t into metal so it never crossed my mind but I sort of want a superstrat with a great Floyd Rose for some late Zappa sounds ... Bob Weir had some in the late ‘80s too ... I think Mike Hampton used them too ... I wanted to toy with an HM Strat reissue but keep reading criticisms of the version of Floyd Rose they used ....?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom