Ethos: Anyone running just the clean channel with OD in front?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GEN DAWG, Oct 4, 2008.

1. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Silver Supporting Member

I'm getting ready for a gig where I'm going to have to throw my Crate PowerBlock in a gig bag and run my Ethos speaker sim out into it. The clean sound is world class in this setup, particularly with the clean gain dimed. Problem is, I CANNOT get the dirty channel to keep up with the clean channel if I crank the clean. So I've been experimenting w/ OD pedals in front of the clean channel. Used a Crowther Hotcake, Stephenson Fix-My-Duck, and a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive in front last night (just playing by myself, no band last night). Hotcake was very good. Stephenson gave a very lively light overdrive and was butt-kicking when combined with the Hotcake. Didn't love the Sparkle Drive with it, except as a solo boost.

So anybody else trying to drive the clean side of the Ethos? Let me hear you.

2. danel59

danel59 Member

Just a quick question. Why the speaker sim out into the Power Block? Are you running a cab or direct? If direct why bother with the Power Block. The speaker simulator out works great on its own and if running into the 'Block and then into a cab i would use the normal out of the Ethos

Regarding drive pedals into the clean channel I have had great success with my AC Booster, RC Booster, Plexitone and Kar Krash

Hope that helps

Dan

3. GEN DAWG

I run the speaker sim out into the effects loop in of the PowerBlock, which bypasses the 'block's preamp. Basically just makes it into a solid state power amp. This works really well.

Thanks for the overdrive suggestions.

4. bilbal

bilbal Member

Run a Zen Drive into the clean side of the Ethos.

5. itsLars

itsLars Member

Hi, the Ethos TLE is the new 'centre heart' of my setup. I play in a p&w-band where I go into the console directly without a guitar amp. So, I use the Ethos with its speaker sim out as a full amp 'simulator' and have have the mod, delay and reverb pedals after the Ethos and the dirt pedals (Timmy, OCD) in front of it. Works great. Tomorrow I'll also be checking out a bad monkey in front of the ethos.

Bye,
    Lars

[​IMG]

6. GEN DAWG

That's a cool rig! Do you run the Ethos clean, then use the OD pedals for dirt?

7. itsLars

itsLars Member

Hi,

of course I use all channels of the Ethos. They're just so amazing. On last night rehearsal I pumped up the jam quite a bit.....tone heaven! :)

I tried a Bad Monkey for TS tones into the Ethos as well. Wasn't for me though. Ethos, Timmy and OCD really cover all tones I need.

Bye,
    Lars

8. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

Wow, I never imagined that you'd transform your whole rig with the Ethos. I'm delighted to see it being put to such great use!

9. itsLars

itsLars Member

Hey Brian,

it's not a big transformation from my point of view. I had a similar DI-solution before. A Tech21 Character (Blonde) pedal was the centre piece before. However, the Tech21 and the Ethos don't play in the same league. It was a good setup with the Blonde, now it's nothing but jaw-dropping.

I have to work hard now playing-wise to do this pedalboard justice :)

Take care,
    Lars

10. Cheebatone

Cheebatone Member

I'm using my TLE in a totally different way than I'd envisioned when I bought it...

I thought the clean channel would be wasted as all I wanted was 'that' OD tone. As it turns out, the clean channel is now my core tone (i.e. It is always on) and the OD section gets use primarily as a boost for the Zendrive 2 that's after the Ethos in my signal chain. I like the TLE's really pushed overdrive tones, especially with the 'boost' function engaged, but I've got that area covered with the Zen 2. Luckily I've found that, with the gain rolled off quite a bit, the TLE's OD section provides some brilliant crunchy rhythm tones too.

Robbie should make an amp. :cool: