Ethos Clean vs SansAmp for direct recording

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by deejayen, Apr 25, 2016.

1. deejayen

deejayen Member

I was just about to buy a Tech-21 Fly Rig, hoping it would give a good sound when recording direct to the computer. I've listened to a few demos, and read some reviews, and although opinions vary, I was thinking it would be worth a punt. From what I can tell it sounds quite good when the reverb is added, and I would also find value in the delay section. I only play clean, so I'd rarely use the Plexi section, and could quite happily live without it.

However, I've just seen mention of the Ethos Clean pedals, and I'm wondering if one of those might be a better option for me. I'm really only interested in the clean sounds through the speaker simulation circuit. Has anyone compared the two pedals for this sort of use? My main amp is a Deluxe Reverb, and I tend to play old-style country, and I'm looking for an easy way to get a similar sound to tape when it's not feasible to mic the amp.

2. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I used the Tech21 Character pedals for years, and they're very good, but these days I have the Ethos Clean and I'm very happy with the sound.

Cgkindler likes this.
  3. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

FWIW I've had some excellent direct recording with the HD500x, as well as my BigSky and using just the cab SIM on the back. However, I did use some dirt, and in the case of the 500x I also used some really heavy dirt.

The THR10's USB input is VERY capable also (though, it's NOTHING like what you're looking at)

If you do the Ethos Clean, if there's an amplified version as well, then you'd have kind of a 1-2 punch.....you'd have a nice direct option, plus an actual amp that fits on the board! :)

Good luck! Hope you find what you're looking for!

4. guitar nut

guitar nut Member

I have both. The Tech 21 Fly Rig is a really cool little unit. Very small and does sound great. It is a little noisy. I'm still working on fine tuning it and on the noise issue. I don't think I have it dialed in just yet. But... the Ethos Clean is absolutely awesome. If clean is what you're after this is the pedal for you. It's a little pricy with all of the options. I think I added everything that was available but I have no regrets. I use it in a 2000+ seat church direct to house PA and could not be happier. The Fly Rig does sound good but I think the Ethos sounds a little better and the extra features made it perfect for me.

Both are really good units for what they do.

Good luck.

5. charley

charley Supporting Member

I have used the tech 21 blonde, ethos clean, hd500x, and the cab sim on the bigsky.

They are all great, and very usable.

My favorite is the Ethos Clean. I regularly use one for recording and gigging. I m a roots rock/americana clean player. The Ethos is where it's at.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The Ethos clean costs considerably more than a Sansamp, rightly so, it's really well build and sounds great!

The best recording preamp that Tech21 ever made was the original Sansamp. The clean sounds are spectacular, it sounds great and has a world of different kinds of amps in the box (the rack mount version is equally impressive if bigger). For only clean, if money is an issue I'd get the Sansamp, if there's any thought of crunch, I'd for sure get it. If money isn't an issue, the Ethos. And if you're going to gig and need the effects then the Fly-Rig is a good choice, but if you don't need effects it's not as good or quiet as the other two choices.

7. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

One thing to add - while I wouldn't consider the Clean a high gain monster, I would point out that it is a beautiful sounding low gainer with the Soft Drive on, and with the Fusion Boost mod can get a fair amount of crunch. It's really more than just a clean tone.

8. deejayen

deejayen Member

Thanks very much.

I must confess I'm becoming uncertain about what these devices will do.

I've had a look (and listen) on the Ethos website, and there are so many available options (I'd probably go for a basic pedal) it seems to be more of a solid state amp.

I already have a Sequis Motherload Elemental (a passive speaker simulator) which I can use with my existing amps (a Deluxe Reverb and Mesa TA-15). I'm a beginner to recording, and haven't spent much time with it in the few years I've owned it, but the results with the Motherload seem to be lacking in comparison to the mic'd amp.

I initially thought the Fly Rig would be ideal if it records well. I'd go for the Ethos if it will sound better, but I'm wondering if I wouldn't be making best use of it, not to mention that something else (maybe even what I aldready have!) might be more suitable.

9. uyarchie

uyarchie Member

Ethos works really well with other dirt pedals/fuzzes too, even sounds better direct thru SPK Sim. I had mine modded with EFX loop and it is perfect!