Ethos on the way.

GP_Hawk

Looking forward to your review Jack. I had mine for 6 weeks now. Still tweeking away......

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
just a quick note. I'm really stoked about this thing. I have not played through another pedal that gets cranked amp tones like this. I'm getting some great SRV El Macambo type tones out of the clean channel (really gorgeous with a tube screamer) and dumble/bonamassa tones out of the lead channel.

Just beautiful.

lv

Silver Supporting Member
Just got mine today - incredible, and I have a Glaswerks to compare it to.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Yo Jack ... can't to hear your report ...

Now you didn't like the GSB ...right?
But have you tried the GSR ,,,?

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
Yo Jack ... can't to hear your report ...

Now you didn't like the GSB ...right?
But have you tried the GSR ,,,?

I did not like the GSB. I'm going to be reviewing a lovepedal 200lbs of tone which seems to be in a similar territory. I have not tried a GSR but at this point with the Ethos, the BB Preamp and my vaughnc modded ts9 I think i'm done with overdrive pedals. The BB preamp gets 90% of the zendrive tone. It does not have the mid-hump that the dumble amps get and that the zendrive has but it is also less colored and more versatile. I can get just a slightly overdriven tone that sounds like you are driving a marshall amp hard or I can turn up the gain and get a more robben-like sound (minus the hump).

The Ethos combines those tones into one pedal. Instead of choosing whether I want a slightly overdrive amp sound or a higher gain violin tone, I can get both out of the same pedal and depending on whether I turn up the midrange or engage the modern/classic switch I can get a more clear or more colored dirty sound. The clean tone is cool because it gets that wonderful mayeresque semi-distorted strat tone and does an amazing SRV Lenny thing. Better than *ANY* pedal I have tried. Even better than the BB which surprised me. And my tube screamer in front of that gets the texas flood tone. Very cool. I think you could use this pedal rig in front of a transistor amp and be very happy with it.

The whole rig sounds great in front of my Axefx or my Allen old Flame.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Wow .... sounds great coming from someone's opinion I really trust ...
Thanks for the rundown Jack ...

bc-cosmo

Silver Supporting Member
Jack, please share some settings if you have a mind to. The Ethos has a whole lotta knobs and switches for my ADD. Inquiring minds want to know!

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member

Hey Jack! REALLY glad your review is backing up what I think! HANDS DOWN the best pedal I have ever used, and I would think many would be hard pressed to tell it from the real thing. I have the standard model, and love it so much, I ordered the TLE so I would have a matching "set". :D
Agree with you alo about the clean channel. It totally changes the tone of fender amp to a Dumble clean, without losing any magic!

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
here's my basic setting. This gives me a good excuse to write it down because I've been wanting to save this.

Clean Channel
  • Gain - 2 O'Clock
  • Bright
  • Modern
  • Rock
  • Treble - 2 O'Clock
  • Mid - 11 O'Clock
  • Bass - 7 O'Clock
  • Pres - 2 O'Clock
OD Channel
  • Gain - 11 O'Clock
  • Bright off
  • Classic
  • jazz
  • Treble - 5 O'Clock
  • Mid - 2 O'Clock
  • Bass - 2 O'Clock
  • Pres - 5 O'Clock
Gac - On
HC 2 O'Clock

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
Hi Jack I am really interested in your opinion of the Speaker Sim Out on the ethos.

Have not tried it yet. My studio is in shambles because I was running new outlets and electrical so my recording / video stuff is not up and running. Maybe next week. Also, my 1202 Mixer bit the dust.

I will be putting the ethos through it's paces soon with a video review. I'll include some direct audio too.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom