Ethos overdrive pedal demo II

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by jzucker, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...my link won't load the video on the hi-rez...lo-rez is fine...

...I like how you play those Les Paul's...

2. KRosser

KRosser Member

Really nice playing, Jack...the Les Paul really suits you

I'm curious...do you prefer the Ethos to the Eternity?

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

They're different beasts. The eternity makes the amp sound like it's really, really loud with a very natural overdrive ala early clapton/bb king/freddie king.

The ethos makes the amp sound dumblish. It can get some very similar tones in the clean channel but it's always got that dumble flavor to it.

4. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Thanks again for these demos Jack ...
    Have learned a lot from them ...

Of the three, by far my ears preferred the GSR's tone...
    The way it cuts yet still has a certain sweetness on the high notes is very appealing...
    The Eternity a close second & the most natural-amp like breakup...

Found the Ethos just too thick of a sound for my ears
    (too much frequency info-if that makes any sense ..)

Thank you again ...

5. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Really nice, Jack.........Ken is right, the Lester suits you.

Interesting how different axes can bring out different aspects of our playing. In this demo I hear some Mahavishnu Johnny Mac, where I never really heard that before in your playing. I mean that as the highest compliment!

Cool stuff..........and a great sounding pedal. I'll have a TLE coming when my name is up, and I'd like to get a GSR to compare it with. Any thoughts on the TLE vs Classic versions?

cheers!

- jim

6. KRosser

KRosser Member

Yeah, I think the Ethos is a little too Dumble-y for my tastes, just based on the clips..

I've been an Eternity lover for the last two years, and Jack nails the sound on the head - it just sounds like a really loud amp. I gotta say, though, the thing that really sold me on the E was not even the tone as much as the 'feel' - the responsiveness - it would be impossible to suss that out from a clip

Anyway...that's why I asked

You never know what makes someone sound like something one day and something slightly different another, but...something about JZ's playing on the LP just sounds a little more relaxed and warmer...

But, what do I know? Nothing, really...I just know I dug it.

7. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Ken,

Curious which E you have?

I finally settled on the Roadhouse version....and I dig it mightily....exactly as you describe. On a "rock" band gig last night, I had it on almost 100% of the time........just varied clean---> dirt ratio with my magic pinky volume control. (Joseph would have hated it! ;) ). Incredibly dynamic and it just FEELS groovy. I didn't have as much luck with the White version, or newest SMD version....too thin and gainy in my setup.

I had a non-TLE Ethos, and it's really nothing like an Eternity at all, as you suspect. Jack, however, does get a thicker, more typically "Dumble-y" vibe than I tended to dial up. It can be more nasty and fiery, as well. Very versatile.

I suspect you might dig.

- Jim

8. KRosser

KRosser Member

I don't know...it's all black...about 2 1/2 years old

I loved the new one at first, but I A/B'd it with the old one at a rehearsal and went back to the old one - the mids are voiced lower on it and that suits me a little better. The new one has a little too much 'hi-mid cut' for me, I think..I may move it along...I don't know...it's still got that great E-responsiveness

I'll have to see if I can find one to play through

I gotta say, for 'nastier', I'm loving the Skreddy Screwdriver - it's got that nasty overdrive that turns into strong hints of a Big Muff at the higher end of the gain range...really useful for me...in combo with the old black E? Dude....

9. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Oo that does sound nice.
    Great demo

love those index finger and Picking licks!
    Lovely playing as always