Ethos Overdrive what do people think?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sol, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Sol

Sol Member

I was looking at the website, and it looks like there is a lot going on with it, what with all the controls it has.

I've had a Zendrive for a while now and really like it alot, and was wondering if anyone familiar with the Zen has the Ethos and what they think of it.

I dont know if comparison between the two is relavant or not to be honest, but want to hear from Ethos users and how it works with your musical style, what say you!

cheers,
    Sol

2. bilbal

bilbal Member

I just sold my Zen. It's a great, great pedal and I will get another soon. However, the Ethos is in a league of it's own IMO. It is so versatile and hasn't a bad tone in it. It's definitely the best pedal I have ever purchased. Sure it's on the expensive side as far as pedal prices go but I think it's worth every last penny. I actually just got on the list again yesterday for another one. I have 4 settings that I really, really, like. So...instead of switching the settings, I decided that it would be worth it to just go ahead and grab a second Ethos. I think it's the best pedal ever. Simply listen to the clips on Robbie site; they are exactly the way they sound in person. I run mine in front of my new Shiva and the combination is just jaw-dropping crunchy, creamy, awesome tone. I'll admit the combination is a bit on the expensive side but if you want the tone, you gotta pay for it IMO!!! I have tried other, less expensive routes but never came anywhere near the tone I am getting EVERY TIME I plug in - without fail.

Great pedal, :BEER :drool :drool :drool
    b

3. Sol

Sol Member

Whats your musical style bilbal ? And how different is it (Ethos)from the Zendrive?

4. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

Caveat: I have no experience with the Zen. That said, I've had the Ethos (TLE) for a few months now and it's my main pedal. I feel like I've just begun to scratch the surface (for example I haven't used it direct yet). I play mostly what you might call modern blues--my band covers Robben Ford, Chris Cain and Derek Trucks, along with the older greats. The clean channel offers a tremendous variety of tones along with light grit. Ditto on the variety with the OD channel, plus in this mode it cleans up REALLY well with the guitar volume knob, so I can pretty much just leave it on. Finally, the OD boost is calibrated just right and quite useful. The OD channel rewards a light touch with a whole lot of dynamic range. If you like the "D" kind of sound I think you need to give it a shot. IMHO, of course!

5. Sid

Sid Member

I do believe its very dependant on ur amp....i couldnt get a good sound outta it into my gries...dunno why....sounded very fake to me....but if u like it....i think its best value in a box for its price....way too many features

6. bilbal

bilbal Member

Well I guess the most prevalent difference is the Ethos has much more gain on tap and is able to be be eq'd more than the Zen. The gain is a different voice than that of the Zen too. It can get very dirty if you need it to where the Zen doesn't get quite as dirty as the Ethos. Don't get me wrong, Alf's Zendrive is an awesome pedal. Had I not been in a financial bind, I wouldn't have let it go. As I said, as soon as I am able to, I will get another Zendrive. As a matter of fact, a buddy of mine is on the list and his number is coming up soon. Hopefully he's going to let me take it because he really doesn't have a need for it. I do. I love the textures of the Zendrive. I am also on the list for Alf's Mosferatu which I am told is much more gain than the Zen. To answer your question about the type of music I play. I play mostly classic rock type stuff, Grateful Dead, Robben Ford-ish type stuff, Eric Johnson, ETC... The Ethos, IMO, will cover anything you want it too. There may not be enough gain for heavy metal but it will be awesome for jazz, rock, country, really anything but metal. I suggest getting both the Ethos and a Zen. I found one of my favorite things was zapping the clean side of the Ethos with the Zendrive. You can't go wrong with one of each or either pedal. They are both great, built like tanks, and full of tone.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. Again, just for clarity sake, the Ethos' clean side being zapped by the Zendrive is the best tone I have ever found - bar none!!!! I cannot wait to do the same thing but into my new Shiva now - it's gonna be great. I hope I have helped. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. If you would like, give me a call @860-857-9849 and we can discuss the pedals in more depth. If that will help, I will more than happy to speak with you on the phone - feel free to call any time!!!

Bill Ballato (bilbal)

7. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I'm saying it a lot but in a nutshell, the Ethos has ended my search for a "D" inspired pedal, and I've been through a few on them.

Its really that good!

8. ichi

ichi Member

anyone know, or have any idea, if would affect the sound if i extend the wiring so that i can move two of the foot-switches (channel and boost; not bypass) out to farther area? so i can keep the Ethos up somewhere and have only those two foot-switches extended out and in the floor?

or perhaps route them inside the Ethos to a dual on/off jack where i could plug in a cable to any generic dual floor switch like you;d get with an amp that has "stereo" cable to connect a typical channel/effects foot-switch.

really want to do that.

???

9. tambokgt

tambokgt Member

10. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Th eEthos is a great pedal, the only issue I had was how powerful it is. Just bump one of the eq knobs and you will see what I mean, for live playing this might present problems as all th eflexability can come with some headaches.

For me this pedal would be the perfect amp sim/studio device. I sold mine because I decided having another amp (Tone King) would be better then a pedal. Some day I will buy this pedal again.

One thing to note the boost on the lead side will not change with the eq settings, it is predetermined. The eq does change depending on how you set the gain control however.

11. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

They're both great pedals. The ethos is extremely versatile and additionally the clean channel is amazing both on its own and as a boost. I wish he'd release a clean channel version on its own though.

12. danel59

danel59 Member

I have had mine for about 6 months now and love it. I have used it in front of a number of amps such as Fuchs, an old Traynor, Fender and it worked and sounded great, however it could have been a bad amp but on a fly date I had to plug into one of the newer Traynor YCV40 series and I didn't have great results but not knowing how well kept rental backline can or cannot be it was acceptable. I also run it into the power amp section of a Crate Powerblock and that blew me away considering the price of the Crate but the tones were great and I am sure they would be into other solid state power amps as well.
    I haven't worked alot with the direct out however I am playing for the first time this weekend with a P&W band that normally go direct with AxeFx or Amp/Palmers so I am thinking I may just go direct with the Ethos and have it come back through wedges for me. The PA is very good so I shouldn't have a problem hearing it.

All in all, probably the best investment I have made!

Dan

13. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Dan,

Did you adjust the GAC control through the Traynor?

14. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I had the Ethos close to the beginning, and was partially responsible for the TLE "mod"
    I reviewed the Ethos (with audio clips) on another thread, and mentioned the loose low end as well as a few other aspects.... was then contacted by the Robbie, the designer who soon modded it and sent me the prototype with a switch to engage the TLE mod.

I have over 20 OD's at this point (it's a sickness right?). I have to say that each brings something unique to the table, but there is SO much overlap as well.

I spent a lot of time comparing the Ethos with a number of devices including the Zen. I found a certain buzziness that I could not dial out with the Ethos, and found that the boost function seemed to lower the low mids and warmth to my ear. I used it with a few different amps. I did like the clean channel very much, but found that I liked the bypassed clean tone of my blackface Bassman better.

My favorite feature on the Ethos was the cabinet emulator, which I thought was very good! But was not worth keeping IMHO considering the cost. I ended up selling the Ethos and have that territory well covered with the Zen as well as the Red and Purple versions of the Jetter. I do not hear the buzziness in these 3 units.

All in all... I would say the Ethos is an excellent unit... but one of many out there. All is subjective. Be gentle :)

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

15. danel59

danel59 Member

Yes and also tried through the power amp or effects return as well and it was
    better into the front end. It was just one of those gigs. We were flying to a gig that I knew about and on the plane my singer told me he booked another small gig for us as well. It was at an outdoor park and we basically had to walk on and play so I have to admit I didn't have a lot of time with it but I was adjusting both the GAC and tone controls as well as the amp controls and didn't get near the tones that I had with other setups. Don't get me wrong it was OK but not as good as I had with other amps that were rental backline. The same company supplied backline the next night for me and I had one of the Fender Pro Reverb reissues (50 watt, Channel Switching, 1x12)and the Ethos sounded amazing through it. Even first plugging in without working with the controls I had the sound back

Thanks

Dan

16. 5150gtrmonkey

5150gtrmonkey Silver Supporting Member

I used to have one of the early TLE models and sold it. I regret doing that now because I really liked it, but at the time felt I didn't need it because I had a Fuchs ODS 100 (I ordered the Ethos TLE before I got the Fuchs). Well, I sold the Fuchs for something smaller and got a Carr Rambler and now wish I had the Ethos, because I've gone through the Jetter Red and Zen 2. Haven't tried the original Zendrive but just got on the waiting list because I'm really curious about it. Currently have a Plush Valve Job wish is great sounding pedal and extremely amp like, one of the reasons why I chose it over the Zendrive 2.

But getting back to the Ethos TLE, what impressed me about it was that I could dial in a tone on the Fuchs clean channel almost exactly like the tone of the Fuchs overdrive channel. Obviously the Fuchs OD channel had a bit more body to it, but the Ethos came pretty darn close! I will definitely be getting another Ethos as soon as I can.