• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Ethos (preamp setup question)

theHoss

Howdy,

I recently received my Ethos. So far, so great. I have used it both in a traditional sense (before an amp) and into the return of my fx loop. I am considering purchasing a power amp and using it soley as a preamp. I have a couple of questions.

1) Can anyone recommend a good power amp for it. I was looking at a Rocktron Velocity or an old Tube Works mosfet.

2) Can I put a delay after the Ethos and run the output of the stereo delay into either channel of the power amp?

Example:
Guitar>Ethos>StereoDelay L> L Channel Power Amp >Speaker Cab 1
L>StereoDelay R >R Channel Power Amp >Speaker Cab 2

Thanks much!

erikm5150

i have an old tubeworks mosfet power amp, and i still can't understand why they discontinued them!
they are the best sounding solid state power amps i've heard.
not transparent, but very warm. really perfect for guitar, imho.

and yes, i'm sure that configuration you are thinking of will work no problem. i've run that config with my tubeworks, but with a different preamp, not an ethos. Just make sure your delay can accept the (line level?) signal from the ethos preamp.

WailinGuy

Please tell me more. Which amp are you using the Ethos with that has the FX return? Would you say that the quality of tones and dynamic response you're getting with that setup could convince you (if you didn't know otherwise) it's an all-tube signal path? What differences do you notice between using your Ethos before an amp (like an OD stompbox) and using it as a full-blown preamp?

Thanks!

theHoss

Howdy,

I use it with a heritage victory head/cab version. The FX return does have a tone control, so I guess it ins't a pure signal to the power amp. I don't feel qualified enough to describe it in words in regards to the convincing question. I haven't really set down and tried them both side by side. I do love the clean side of the Ethos in front of my victory. And I cannot wait to really try it as a preamp on its own into a SS power amp. I just need to find the right power amp =)

Garygtr

Almost as good!
Gold Supporting Member
Please tell me more. Which amp are you using the Ethos with that has the FX return? Would you say that the quality of tones and dynamic response you're getting with that setup could convince you (if you didn't know otherwise) it's an all-tube signal path? What differences do you notice between using your Ethos before an amp (like an OD stompbox) and using it as a full-blown preamp?

Thanks!
You mean you still don't have a good answer for your question Jim? :D Wish I could help-sorry!

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I've been using mine into a mixer into powered speakers with good results. I also tried it with a Stewart solid state power amp into a pair of Weber blues. Sounded good in both situations, quite amplike. Could I have dropped a delay in between? Sure, I'm positive that would work, even better to use an inexpensive multi-effect unit (I'm thinking a Lexicon 1/2 rack or the Boss SE50, either of which can be had for less than $100, and around $120 for the Stewart 50b power amp...).

theHoss

That is a good idea, do you know any MultiFX processor that can use line level input? Does the G-Sharp?

Thanks for all the input guys!

Trending Topics