Ethos Preamp with Digitech GSP1101?

konaboy

I have an Ethos Preamp on order and plan to use it with my gsp1101 multi-effects/amp modeler into a Matrix GT1000FX power amp and Matrix Neolight cabinet. I'm wondering if the Ethos will work better in front of the gsp (gtr->Ethos->gsp) with a gsp-modeled amp selected, or in the gsp's "amp loop" so the Ethos functions as the preamp. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!

lightningblues427

I would run the Ethos into the front and go from there, it is a PRE amp after all, though you will want to disable any amp modeling that comes after and just use your Matrix for cabinet or effects.

personally I wouldn't run an Ethos into an amp modeler it seems to me that it would defeat the biggest strength the Ethos has which is superior tone, but hey if you play with that gear long enough your destined to figure out the best setup for yourself.

konaboy

Thanks for the suggestions!

If I put the Ethos in the GSP's amp loop, the Ethos would replace the amp model, so I'd just be using the GSP as a multi-effects unit -- no amp modeling. I know some Ethos users run it in front of an amp and others have used it direct into FOH or a power amp, so I'm curious to see which sounds better.

The GSP does have input clipping problems with the high signal level from some of my humbucker/P90 equipped guitars, so I have to keep the guitar volume knob turned down when the guitar is going directly into the GSP. One advantage of having the Ethos in front of the GSP would be that I could adjust the output level of the Ethos to avoid GSP input clipping, and turn my guitars back up!

lightningblues427

Yes and in which case you may want to turn the GAC (guitar amp compensation)switch off on the ETHOS, this is recommended for direct applications and since your saying your humbuckers are already clipping you may find this to be the right setting for the ETHOS run into the front of your GSP or through its effects loop as it seems to me this would be the line level option for a direct situation like that....the ETHOS is amazingly versatile and as long as you really take the time to learn the pedal Im certain you will find numerous applications for it in a variety of situations, ie: direct recording (it has a cab simulator) or into a mixer or multi effects unit, (GAC off for direct purposes) etc. etc.

Be sure to take the time to also use the gain on the over drive channel through out its full spectrum to find your perfect setting. I have found with the gain turned almost off around 7oclock, and the volume almost all the way up but the brite switch off and the other two switches set to classic and jazz in TLE mode gets a really excellent very clean sustain/jazzy lead tone.

while turning the gain of the lead channel all the way up and the volume very high around 3 oclock gets a really good smooth grindy distortion /drive tone.

tons of great options and the clean channel is an excellent excellent sounding preamp/eq which can be run into another drive pedal for a nice boost, plus you can hit the boost switch and really push things over the top.

The Ethos is easily one of the best purchases I've ever made, though because it is so versatile, it takes a little work to find the sweet spot for your applications, once you understand how all the knobs and switches interact with each other its pretty amazing.

Read the manual over and over and play with the switches and it will all make sense, those that didnt keep it usually wish they had and didnt take the time to really learn the pedal or appreciate it long enough to incorporate it into their other gear, because i find I am very hard pressed to buy another drive pedal, as its all right there.

Last edited:

Trending Topics