Ethos TLE Direct Samples

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Nighttrain, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Nighttrain

Nighttrain Supporting Member

Hey there,

I'm a recording newbie and just got an Ethos pedal (TLE). I've been loving it through my amp, and thought I'd at least try out the direct recording option. Gotta say, I'm pretty impressed! Here is the ever popular Gospel Blues BT with some clean channel, low and high gain noodling:

http://www.soundclick.com/jeremyjameshall

The obvious issue is the noise. Not sure what's doing that, but I really just hooked the pedal up and pressed record, so I haven't fiddled with it. The clean and low gain takes are my strat into the Ethos, then into an MBox. The high gain take is identical, except it's with my 335. Can't say enough about this pedal -- LOTS of knobs, but worth it.

2. theHoss

theHoss Member

Nice job man, thanks for taking the time to post this.

3. ToneZappa

ToneZappa Member

Thanks for posting this had a listen to all three takes. You can really hear what the Ethos is doing. For a D.I. dirt box (sorry) it sounds amazing I,m must get one. :BEER

4. journo

journo Member

Hi Jeremy,

Sounds good indeed!
    Would you mind posting the settings for these clips? I'm especially interested in the clean setting.

Thanks!

Mats N

5. tone4days

tone4days Member

very nice all around!

6. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

These are fantastic. It needs a little "air". Maybe a 3rd party speaker sim program. The clean tone sounds very Mayer(ish) which I mean as a compliment. Some of the dumble clones cannot do this tone but the ethos definitely can.

7. Nighttrain

Thanks for the comments, everybody. I agree, Jack, some 'air' under the notes would definitely be better -- but I was actually expecting a much 'flatter' sounding direct recording. Something about the speaker sim out must add a little bounce. It really is great for those lower gain Dumble tones (Mayer -- I'm a big fan, no worries:). Here are the settings I used:

Clean Channel:
    Gain: 2:00
    Bright: Off
    Classic
    Rock
    Treb: 1:00
    Mid: 12:00
    Bass: 11:00
    Pres: 2:00

Gain Channel Low Gain:
    Gain: 11:00
    Bright: Off
    Classic
    Rock
    Treb: 2:00
    Mid: 3:00
    Bass: 11:00
    Pres: 12:00

Gain Channel Hi Gain:
    Gain: 2:00
    Bright: On
    Classic
    Rock
    Treb: 9:00
    Mid: 1:00
    Bass: 3:00
    Pres: 11:00

I was trying to play with dynamics in the takes, and it really does respond very well. I also highly recommend the "bright switch on, treble/presence down" setting with higher gain -- I read about it somewhere and it is really nice.

8. journo

journo Member

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for posting the setting. Will try them out tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mats N

9. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Sold my Ethos last week
    HJ

10. Robbie

Robbie Member

Jeremy,

Great playing and fabulous touch.

Thanks,
    Robbie

11. GP_Hawk

GP_Hawk Member

Sounding good Nighttrain. I was working on a track where I used the ethos direct out on the leads in the intro with pleasing results.

As per the noise, I get a lot of noise also in hi gain. More so than any other pedal I have(which isn't much).

12. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Nice playing Jeremy. I like the tone. I'm curious how the Etho's compares to my Zendrive and Jetter gain stage red. If you ever want to tone test let me know.

Which amp did you pick up by the way? Still diggin the "dawg"!

13. journo

journo Member

Hi,

I have recorded quite a bit with my Ethos and I have no noise issues whatsoever.

Cheers,

Mats N

14. Robbie

Robbie Member

I was direct recording in front of my PC and had similar noise as Jeremy. Turns out my PUs were picking up noise from the PC/Monitor. I solved it by standing back from the computer or turning off the monitor while playing.

Thanks,

Robbie

15. Nighttrain

I'm sure Robbie's right -- I'm usually farther away the computer when I record, but since I was going direct, I was planted right in front of my monitor. I've not gotten any noise using the pedal any other time. Oh, and I forgot some setting info -- on all the tracks the GAC switch was On (which I've since read isn't the norm for direct recording, but it worked for me) and the Hi Cut was around 11:00.