Eugen Guitars?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by hendrix2430, Feb 2, 2006.

1. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

Hi anyone have a scoop on these interesting guitars? They are made in Norway, and boy do they look nice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

As a "Eugene" myself...I'm intrigued!:D

3. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

That left horn looks a little wide for my tastes, but otherwise, I agree :). Very cool looking guitar.

4. smalahove

smalahove Member

They're 100% handmade guitars; here's the webpage: http://www.eugen.no/ (keep in mind it hasn't been updated for what seems like years ;-) )

Another thing; Eugen guitars only get the highest praise here in Norway, and are used by top artists, such as f.instance Eivind Aarset (recently released an album on the ECM label)

5. SlipRake

SlipRake Member

Looks like it could do some damage on the streets of Pamplona! ;)

6. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

have you played one? How is the fretwork/finish?

7. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

That's a good looking design IMHO, finally somebody who is not just making another Fender/PRS/Hamer/Gibson copy. OK... maybe a little derivative, but in a good way!

Are they available in the USA?

8. Sofus

Sofus Member

Little late to the party. I have played several and the ones I have toyed around with has been top notch, on par with what you would expect for the money you invest in them, flawless. The 4-5 I tried had great feel, tone and resonance/liveliness. He did the guitars from scratch when I talked with him some 4-5 years ago, and where willing to do all kind of custom work. I had some strange ideas for neckprofile and scale lenght.

9. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Actually the body shape sort of has that Viking helmet vibe thing happening. :D

10. yeast2000

yeast2000 Member

I just checked out one of his albums.
    Cool stuff!!

11. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

LOL! That was a good one! :D

I live in the same town as Mr. Eugen. I've talked to him a couple of times, very nice guy. In addition to making guitars of his own, he does repairs and customization. I had him do a fairly unconventional modification to a fretless bass I used to own, where he added a few inches of fretboard underneath the G string, up to the pickup. Not sure if getting those extra high notes did my bass lines much good, but the craftsmanship was first-rate.

I'm drooling over his guitars, and actually considering to get him to make one for me. They are expensive in one sense (I'm not sure I'll be able to actually raise that kind of cash), but I have no doubt that they are worth every penny.

I'll probably go down to his shop one day and try one of his guitars. (This thread has made me realize how lucky I am to have a first rate luthier a stone's throw away). If any of the forum members have any particular questions, I'll be more than happy to ask the man himself!