Euro Tourbox #2 Telenordia (OD/Compressor/Treble Boost/Trem) Post reviews here

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Seegs, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...

It is now Todd but the TA-100 not liking the TU2 buffer was one of the things that prompted that.

Page 139 in the Alt-C thread.

2. Seegs

Seegs Member

Hi Matt...sorry about the delay here...LR didn't get the pedals out to Blueprint until the 25th which I knew about and ok'd...where they are now I am not sure...I hope they are in Holland...

Blueprint can you let us know where the pedals are?

guys the pedals are supposed to be in your pocession for about a week with reviews to follow...

that's the least we can do to repay the kindness of the makers who have sent the tourboxes out for us to try...

Chow,
    Seegs

3. blueprint

blueprint Member

Hi all,

For some stupid reasons, I'm the one who slow down this tourbox...

:eek:

I want to apologize to everyone next to me for the delay, I just wanted to test the pedals with my new Reinhardt 18 watts... To make a long story short, it takes longer than expected...

Anyway, those great pedals are now on the way to Netherland!

I will post my review here asap, as I'm not going to be too long to write it down. :rolleyes:

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

thanx Bruno...I am looking forward to your reviews...

Chow,
    Seegs

5. blueprint

blueprint Member

Here is my (late) review of the Telenordia pedals.

First of all, I would like to thank Seegs and Matt for organizing this tour box and for their patience too…

Stuff used for tests:
    Guitars were a Les Paul Deluxe with Duncan mini humbuckers, and a Kinman strat copy with Kinman pups.
    Amps were a 1973 50 watts Marshall 4 inputs non master volume, a Matchless chieftain 210 and a Reinhardt 18 watts head/Marshall 1x12 cab.
    Cables by George L.

General considerations:
    Despite the severe look, I was very confident at first with the pedals. Built like tanks, and very quiet. I mean dead quiet, even at high settings.

The TA100 Overdrive:
    It’s a very light to light to mid overdrive. Or it can be used as a clean boost pedal too.
    At light drive setting, it reminds me of some kind of “tweed overdrive”, especially in an amp set clean. In an amp at the verge of breaking it can add just the touch of gain you would want, and/or some almost clean boost.
    In a cooking amp, then you can push everything further for leads or whatever…
    It’s a very quiet pedal. It’s not as gainy as most of the pedals I have, even less than a TS.
    I think this is the first overdrive I’ve tried based on a germanium technology, even if I’m used to germanium fuzzes. Definitively not for metal, but useful for blues or classic rock.

The TA24 Treble booster:
    For those who use treble boosters, this one is really worth trying!
    I had a Retroman beano and an Analogman Beano boost. I kept the Analogman and found it very useful in my Reinhardt.
    But what can be frustrating with treble boosters is the lack of control on the frequencies which are supposed to be boosted. “Treble” boosters, yeah, but is it treble, high mids, highs, harsh…
    With the TA24, you can choose the right frequency curve with a five positions selector, then adjust the amount of “treble” with a pot and the overall gain (crunch) with another pot. Moreover, the TA24 boosts also lows and low mids, and then you adjust highs! You can tailor the sound infinitely here. Very intuitive box, but difficult to setup as it is almost impossible to get a bad sound out of this pedal.
    I wanted to compare it side by side with my Analogman Beano Boost. In this match, the TA24 wins in terms of versatility. The Beano has 3 selectables settings where the TA24 has many more. At first, the Beano sounds more aggressive, raw sounding, but you can easily set the TA24 to sound exactly like the Beano, or not. Here, with the Gibson and the Reinhardt, I could get tones à la Ronson, Iommi, Bolan with just a twist of knobs! It’s also more quieter than the Beano, even at insane settings. I still consider the Beano as an excellent pedal, but I’ve been very impressed by the TA24.

The TK23 Kompressor:
    It’s a compressor… but not the average comp which squashes attacks and let your tone sustain more… If you search for a pedal which respects your attacks and adds some sustain and some presence to your notes, this is the one to try. A control let you "blend" your original tone and the processed one, hence the result: untouched attacks, then compressed tail of sound. If I remember well, some others compressors are based on the same idea but unfortunately I didn’t tried them. I can only compare the TK23 with my classic AM bicomp, and the result is very different. The TK32 is much more silent and “transparent” as this one doesn’t color your tone at all.
    Less squashy, or squashy, depending on the setting you choose. The ideal comp for me, or more accurately a comp without default: no hiss, some dynamics.

The TT3 Tremolo:
    I was not using tremolo before. But since, I have changed my mind. This pedal is really analog sounding, organic and amp-like, very musical. I still have an old tube amp with tremolo, so I could compare and the result was better with the pedal because it has a level control. The trem sound can be adjusted in terms of volume, which is very important. Some trems have an internal volume control, but having one under the fingers is really a good thing. This is a really quiet unit, even at high settings you can barely say if the pedal is on.

Once again, I would like to thanks Seegs and Matt to let me try these beautiful pedals.
    I have another gas attack now that they are shipped…:drool

6. Seegs

Seegs Member

Bruno thanx a lot for some great reviews...

Chow,
    Seegs

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

Update...the Tourbox has now landed in Holland and Stekks is giving em a good going over...

looking forward to your impressions Jan...

Chow,
    Seegs

8. stekks

stekks Member

I'm liking the pedals! Review to come soon!

Auratnik (Ales, the next in line) please respond to my email!

9. MattHahn

MattHahn Senior Member

Looks like they´ll be Vintage before we get the Tourbox done..

10. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Guys! Please remember the "rules" of the tourbox:

a) pass the box on quickly and keep everyone informed where the box is
    b) write a review!

As someone who has particpated in these Tourboxes a lot in the past I can tell you, if you want manufacturers to ever do this sort of thing again then GET YOUR ASS IN GEAR!!!

Chris
    (a little bit pissed off that this is creeping along at snail's pace, since it reflects on all of us).

11. stekks

stekks Member

Sorry for the late reply guys, been hectic around here. The pedals were send off laste week. According to the tracking info the pedals should be in Slovania already, hope Ales got them already or will be having them soon!

Here's the review:

Tested the pedals with my Strat into a Vox AC50, AC30 and a Fender tweed Bandmaster replica.

Overall: Nice 'no frills' pedals. Clear layout. Good manual. Great build quality. Kudos to Matt.

*Compressor
    My favorite of the bunch! I bonded immediately with this compressor. It's everything but transparent, it just has a very nice 'juicy' tone to it, great for funky comping or singing leads. Controls at first sight took a bit of getting used to, but it proved to be no problem dailing in what I wanted to hear. Great for slide tones too!

*Tremolo
    Very nice tremelo. Usual speed and depth controls, the added volume control is a very useful if you want to use the tremelo for different applications. I like my tremelo unity (or even a little below) for long 'moving' chords providing a sound blanket for a song, or a little louder for more extreme passages with maximum depth.

*Treblebooster
    Nice voiced treble booster, not shril in any setting... Just great germanium sizzle tone here. This is the pedal for classic Brittish karraanggg notes, overdrives very sweet. The voicing options are well chosen, like I said not a shril tone or woofiness on any setting. The treble booster on the middle settings into the compressor got me some great singing lead tones.

*Overdrive
    Not your 'classical' overdrive. The overdrive has a nice fine grain to it. It reminds me a bit of a 6L6 type overdrive. The tonecontrol has a wide range, sometimes I wished this pedal sounded a little 'fatter'. Putting the compressor in front, or the treblebooster got me some some of that 'fatness'. Works great (dare I say best??) in front of an already overdrive amp!

Thank you Matt for doing the tourbox. You'll be seing my order for a compressor soon!

12. Seegs

Seegs Member

cool reviews JS...thanx Chrissy!! Sorry about the slowness here Matt maybe there were just too many names on the list...just say the word if you want to end the TB early...

Chow,
    Seegs

13. MattHahn

MattHahn Senior Member

No problem with me, i just wanted to chime in and ask whats going on...

I would be more surprised if it would work as stipulated with the everybody-one-week-test-time thing..

all good..

MH

14. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

One week test, can I get my other tourbox back! :)

I've decided I don't like these tourboxes at all, they're just not fair on my wallet.

15. auratnik

auratnik Member

Guitars:
    Tom Anderson Classic strat, Fender Telecaster 52' reissue, Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro, Fender Telecaster American Series with Kinman pickups,
    Fender Stratocaster 50th Anniversary
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Statesman Dual EL84,
    Fender Blues Deluxe

TELENORDIA OVERDIVE TA-100 (Drive/ Tone/ Output)

+
    Rock 'n' roll/ blues/ jazz...
    + Organic and warm and clear
    + Beautiful
    + Vintage vibe inside out
    + Transparent
    + Best TS could be very close but this one is so much nicer
    + It shines with single coils
    + I opened it up to check the components and construction and let me say that this pedal is electronically work of art.

- Higher drive setting (past 1 o'clock) transform it into fuzz with fizz, keep it low and you are safe
    - kind of expensive

TREBLE BOOSTER TA-24 (Gain/ Tone/ Treble)

+
    Unbelievable tone
    + Top construction
    + Very silent
    + 5 Treble cutting freq. positions sounds great
    + Great recording reproduction
    + Warm and transparent
    + I WANT ONE!!!
    + The ultimate treble booster

- I can't keep it

TREMOLO TT-3 (Speed/ Depth/ Output)

+
    Warm and organic
    + Fantastic tremolo reproduction
    + Makes you wonder why we don't use tremolo more often
    + Classic
    + Feel of the vibe
    + Tarantino

- I wish a bit more depth silence
    - I wish that depth control starts from 0 up

COMPRESSOR TK-23 (Threshold/ Dry Feed/ Output)

+
    top construction
    +
    warm
    +
    unique
    +
    gentleman compression
    +
    great with bass

-
    not my kind of compressor
    -
    kind of noisy pump up between playing notes
    -
    too expensive

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TELENORDIA line of pedals is top class production sound machinery for guitarists in search for those rock'n'roll vibe that was lost during the modern technology. Transistor technology and feeling that this components deliver to the pedals is unbelievable attractive to my ears and fingers- a real magic Telenordia. Thank you so much for letting me play your pedals!

16. Seegs

Seegs Member

guys can we get an update on the whereabouts of the Telenordia tourbox?

Lets keep it movin!!

Chow,
    Seegs

17. auratnik

auratnik Member

It's almost in UK.

18. Seegs

Seegs Member

guys can we get an update on the Tourbox...both tourboxes are really taking too long to make the rounds and it seems to be getting worse as we go on...guys this is just unacceptable:FM

one week move it out and write your reviews...whats so hard about that??

Chow,
    Seegs

19. StuBrew

StuBrew Member

Tourbox landed today, I'll have reviews up over the weekend and then sent on asap! :AOK

20. Seegs

Seegs Member

thanx for checking in Stu...looking forward to your reviews...

Chow,
    Seegs