Euro Tourbox #2 Telenordia (OD/Compressor/Treble Boost/Trem) Post reviews here

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Seegs, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Seegs

Seegs Member

I'm back from a nice week in the States and thought I'd check in to see how we're progressing...

Can you guys let us know where the tourbox is?

Chow,
    Seegs

2. StuBrew

StuBrew Member

Tourbox is on its way to Tube Guy, reviews will be up here asap!

:band

3. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

4. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

Pedals arrived this morning, thanks SB.

5. Tube Guy

So far I've manged to try out 2 of the 4 pedals, the Tremelo and the Treble Booster.

My primary aim was to try to compare/ contrast pedals with those I own/ have owned rather than an absolute review, of which the ones before have been superb.

Equipment Used for testing:
    Guitars - CS Masterbuilt Strat, GVCG Tele, CS Fender Esquire, Collings I35, Baker B3
    Amps - Fargen Bordeaux, TR Jet, Marshall clone, TopHat S16

1) Tremelo
    Now I have to be up front here and declare that I like my trems to 'swamp' or 'shimmer'. My current trems are a Swamp Thang and the vibrato on my Deluxe Reverb. Previously my favourite was the trem on a Savage Macht, a bias controlled, asymmetrical trem. I've also tried a lot of trem pedlas and my previous favourite was a Tremulator.

I found the Telenordia to be clean and symmetrical but way too sterile for me. Slow speeds just wobbled rather than swamped and the high speed couldn't get the blackface shimmmer I like. Of course, the reason for this is it's a symmetrical sine wave device.

Verdict - Simple, symetrical sine wave pedal that misses the mark for the this asymmetrical, brownface fan.

2) Treble Booster
    This one was up against my Cornish TB3 and Plosive May Booster. Functionally, it's like the Plosive in that it has a switched set of discrete tone components.
    Sonically the Telenordia has less of a high mid honk then either of my other two. The gain was grittier than the Cornish (which sounds very smooth) and less extreme than the Plosive.
    Trying them out side by side, it was Cornish, then Plosive, then Telenordia in terms of preference. The Telenordia had more of an eq shaping effect than the high mid boosting of the other two.
    I then tried goosing the Telenordia with the other for some pretend Brian May tones. Nothing doing! All I got was input saturation on the Telenordia with a massive volume reduction and noise until the signals subsided. The Plosive into the Cornish, on the other hand, was pure Queen lead tones.

Verdict - I shall be sticking with my two, but I'm now wondering whether I should get a second Cornish.

More testing later this week, initial results with the compressor were very pleasing. I'm guessing the OD will still be too dark for my liking (as it was last time I tried it).

6. Tube Guy

And thirdly:

3) Overdrive
    True confession time: I'm an overdrive junkie and currently use 20, having owned over 50 including this Telenordia.
    My problem with the Telenordia is that it suffers a marked loss of top end, even with the tone maxed. Compared to my AnalogMan KOT this results in a less dynamic sound. Conversely my smooth Ulbrick 12AXE (a TS variant) sound sweeter even with its tone down.
    Consequently I was unable to enjoy what promised to be some very pleasing germanium generated tones.

Verdict - Still not for me!

Compressor review to follow ...

7. Tube Guy

And finally:

4) Compressor
    I'm currently using an AnalogMan Orange Juicer, early 70's Dyna Comp and a BJF PGC. Previously I've owned the Barber and Maxon Pro.

My first impressions of the Telenordia were great. I love mix the control which allows you to retain dynamics on louder sections (somewhat like the Barber Tone Press). I found that it did a better job of handling loud attack than my Dyna Comp.

However, once again I noticed a treble loss when the pedal was engaged. I didn't notice it at first and was convinced I'd come across a superior pedal to my Dyna Comp. Then I started to hear it. In fairness to the Telenordia, the Dyna Comp also loses some mids when engaged so is also not innocent when it comes to eq theft! The treble loss was more a loss of high end sparkle than a tone control roll off effect.

Verdict - A superbly designed pedal that could have ousted my Dyna Comp if the treble had not been attenuated.

Pedals on their way today to Toasted.

8. Tube Guy

Public Service Notice:

It may be worth checking the batteries with these.

I found the TB a bit down on volume so I started using virtual batteries to power all the pedals.

9. Toasted

Toasted Member

Hi guys,

I've had this box for a week now. I've enjoyed testing them all and I'll write reviews. Could someone let me know who I'm supposed to be posting it to next and I'll send it out today? I think it's supposed to be going to Telehack.

Thanks. Joe.

10. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

Yes, get another Cornish ;)

11. Tube Guy

There you go, all the justification I neeed to get another one!

12. Seegs

Seegs Member

13. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

:BOUNCE:BOUNCE:BOUNCE:banana:banana:banana

14. Toasted

Toasted Member

I took these pedals to the Post Office on Tuesday - they said that it was going to cost £42GBP / 53 Euros to send them to Andy. This is too much money - I could take them by Ryanair to Andy J myself for less than that!.

Tuesday to Saturday I was I've been away with business. I'm looking today for a more affordable way to send them. I will let you know what I find out.

15. Toasted

Toasted Member

To keep you all up to date:

I'm going to split these pedals into two packages - they will be much more affordable to send to Andy J like that (approx 25EUR, instead of over 50).

I'll split them into two packages tonight and I will post them tomorrow.

Thanks, Joe.

16. Seegs

Seegs Member

thanx for the updage Joe...glad you found a way to post em cheaper...the German post is also ridicuously expensive...

Chow,
    Seegs

17. auratnik

auratnik Member

It cost me 25 EUR shipped to England insured and airway.

18. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

19. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

:worried:worried 53 euros? That's crazy! In case you take the Ryanair, I'll buy you a beer, it's sunny and beautiful here... :BEER

20. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

Got the pedals, had only a brief moment to play with them at home, will have more time during the weekend, I think these will need to be cranked a bit more than my studio apartment allows me to...