Europe: Wings Of Tomorrow

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Hand of Doom, May 3, 2016.

1. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

Like Def Leppard, the first two albums from Europe are spectacular. Furthermore, the sophomore release from both bands are greater on every level.

That said, for me, Europe was the better band. John Norum's tone and playing alone is the deal breaker.

The Final Countdown was awful (aside from Carrie) l and I lost interest like I did with the horrid Pyromania from Def Leppard.

^so good

MrLahey likes this.
  2. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

Oh, and the new LP from Europe - War of Kings is awesome.

ZeyerGTR likes this.
  3. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    I am a sucker for melodic rock no matter what decade and I've liked Europe from the first album. Their last 2 or 3 albums have been great as well. Love the album 'Start FromThe Dark'...

4. mikebat

mikebat Member

John Norum's Gary Moore influence is what draws me to him.

The lyrics are always so awkward when people write in their second language.

5. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

John Norum is a beast. I hated Europe for all the right reasons (EWW POSERS!) for the longest time; then ended up digging them because of the movie Hot Rod :p I will give the OP a listen as I trust HandofDoom's metal judgement \m/

6. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Member

Whaaaa? Blasphemy! :) j/k, I get it, although I do love that record. The day my older brother brought home that LP my life changed.

I was never a huge fan of Europe, I knew The Final Countdown and that was about it. However, War of Kings totally rocks. Saw them on tour a few months ago and they were great. If you haven't listened to them much, definitely check out that album.

7. JiveTurkey

The solo in the top song is an absolute RIPPER. Definitely heavier vibe than the Europe I am used to. I will say I don't like the background vocals at all. Weird and weak sounding. The track itself is very good!

8. JiveTurkey

Definitely European flair to it :)D). Bass is too loud in the mix imo. The songs are surprisingly good though \m/ Thanks for the recommendation.

9. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

That's great stuff. As someone else said above, Norum is a beast. His solo stuff and the work on Don Dokken's solo album is great as well. Though I prefer this, I'd also have to give props to Kee Marcello for his playing on the later stuff. Another monster player.