European guitar (or general gear) builders?

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
This thread's inspired by the "Foreign Sellers On Reverb & Their Outrageous Prices" thread, which mentions that US-made gear is much more expensive in Europe, for reasons explained there.

But I'm thinking that we also have some builders here, in Europe, that should, at least in theory, be cheaper than importing from the US. Would it be worth it to collect information about them? I hope so. We can add them to the list, discuss their workmanship, or any other aspect of this that can be politely debated.

We can also add luthiers as in people / shops that do a good job with neck resets, refrets, etc.

I did post this in "Guitars in General", but we can discuss any kind of gear made in Europe. If this makes my thread ill-placed, I would kindly ask someone who can move it to move it in the appropriate section. I've not been able to figure out a better one, sorry.

Of special note is that now with Brexit, buying from the UK has become complicated. I've noted to my dismay that sometimes it's cheaper to buy from the US than Britain with added VAT + customs.

I'll start:

Guitars:

Haar Guitars in the Netherlands build S and T-style guitars.
Duesenberg in Germany.
Nik Huber in Germany.
Deimel in Germany.
Leewald Resonators in the Czech Republic.
The Loar acoustics in the Netherlands.

UK:

Atkin guitars.

Pedals:

JAM pedals.
Crazy Tube Circuits.

Amps:

UK:

Cornell.
Haar was the first one I thought of, and the first one you listed.

starvinmarvin

Yes, Czech factory. I became a dealer for them a while ago before Covid started so we've barely actually seen any but the ones we've had are some of the best vintage style guitars I've played, I'm completely floored by them.
Yeah I've heard some demos online and they sounded really good. I just always assumed they were German. Actually the best Les Paul I ever played was a Czech-made Epiphone - apparently they made a batch there at some point, I had it about 2010 second-hand. All Gibsons I've tried after that sounded worse. Schaller pickups. I've, of course, stupidly sold it. No idea where it is now.

The only thing that I didn't like about the Maybach specs was that none that I could find had a baseball 50s style Gibson neck, and that's what I like in a Gibson-style guitar. I can take a somewhat thinner neck, but not a thin one.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah I've heard some demos online and they sounded really good. I just always assumed they were German. Actually the best Les Paul I ever played was a Czech-made Epiphone - apparently they made a batch there at some point, I had it about 2010 second-hand. All Gibsons I've tried after that sounded worse. Schaller pickups. I've, of course, stupidly sold it. No idea where it is now.

The only thing that I didn't like about the Maybach specs was that none that I could find had a baseball 50s style Gibson neck, and that's what I like in a Gibson-style guitar. I can take a somewhat thinner neck, but not a thin one.
The thing with the Czech Rep is they suffered badly under the Soviet resume but prior to WWII the absolute heartland for musical instruments in central Europe was the region that takes in what would now be Czech Rep and Southeast Germany, so they have a really strong heritage of instrument making and the culture is there to do similar things to the Germans in a country that's relatively cheap to manufacture. I've been really impressed with most guitars I've seen out of that country from the last 15-20 years.

Hierophant

The thing with the Czech Rep is they suffered badly under the Soviet resume but prior to WWII the absolute heartland for musical instruments in central Europe was the region that takes in what would now be Czech Rep and Southeast Germany, so they have a really strong heritage of instrument making and the culture is there to do similar things to the Germans in a country that's relatively cheap to manufacture. I've been really impressed with most guitars I've seen out of that country from the last 15-20 years.
Well yes a little bit out of topic, and I do not know much as a western European, but many countries in central and eastern Europe are that poor because of decades of USSR rule over them and the economy being "bad" as in salaries are very low, but the knowledge and infrastructure are there.

apeekaboo

While we're celebrating European equipment makers, I'd add IronGear pickups to the list - not manufactured in the UK or the EU, but based in the UK and make great good-quality budget pickups (£75 for a set of Strat PUs!).
IronGear pickups are great! Have a set of their single coils in my super strat, and a set of Tesla Sharks waiting to be installed in a PRS.

Also
NRG Effects, UK
Decibelics, Spain IIRC

AltecGreen

Gold Supporting Member
Electric Guitars:

Waghorn (UK)
Carrillionon (UK)
Daemoness (UK)
Sims (UK)

Vandermeij (Netherlands)
Mozer (Netherlands)