• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Eurorack effects rig pros/cons and questions

Bryan T

guitar owner
I’m considering putting together a fairly simple (famous last words!) Eurorack-based effects rig. Years ago, I had several Moog pedals and loved the flexibility of CV control. I’ve never been able to commit to a pedalboard, as I don’t want to be tied to routing options. And I like to play “in the moment,” so I don’t need presets or easy switching.

I’m imagining that my basic setup would be running everything in my amp’s effects loop. Ideally, I’ll control key parameters via expression pedals.

That leads to a bunch of questions, as I’m assessing what’s out there.

Have you done this? Any lessons you learned the hard way?

Any issues integrating into a guitar effects loop? Do I need to amplify/attenuate the signal?

There seem to be dozens of manufacturers. What are the established names I should check out?

The kind of modules I’m imagining would be: envelope follower, ADSR envelope generator, ring modulation, bit reducer, flexible filter, delay/looper, ... I’d need a case (how big?) and power. Am I missing any basic building blocks?

Thanks!

Radar

I've never tried doing this, but awhile ago I was thinking it would be cool to pick up an API 6-slot and fill it with a Strymon Magneto, and Meris Ottobit, Polymoon, and Mercury7. Would be really cool to see something like that.

mgscheue

Prepare to say goodbye to all of your remaining free time! Modular Grid is great.

The Doepfer A-119 should work well in getting the guitar up to Eurorack levels. Or the Befaco Instrument Interface. And it looks like the A-177-2 would be good for using an expression pedal for CV.

Last edited:
Reactions: xcc

vlammie

Strymon has a module to interface the modular world with pedals.
Don't confuse Eurorack (Aka modular) with 500 series.

Bryan T

guitar owner
Don't confuse Eurorack (Aka modular) with 500 series.
I’m not sure I fully understand the differences, other than modules I’d looked at were Eurorack. I associate the 500 series stuff with recording studio stuff, Eurorack with synthesis.

vlammie

I’m not sure I fully understand the differences, other than modules I’d looked at were Eurorack. I associate the 500 series stuff with recording studio stuff, Eurorack with synthesis.
Another poster mentioned the Meris modules (500 series) and strymon magneto (eurorack), hence my comment.

Bryan T

guitar owner
I don’t think I appreciated just how many companies are making Eurorack stuff. It is daunting.

Radar

Another poster mentioned the Meris modules (500 series) and strymon magneto (eurorack), hence my comment.
Yeah I didn't know there was a difference. So the Magneto is not compatible with a 500 series rack?

xcc

Bump. I have a little eurorack on the way for some experimentation. @Bryan T did you ever dip a toe in? Anyone else have a go?

I’m planning on getting the Doepfer a-119 to interface with the rack, even though I’m tempted by Strymon’s AA1 interface. I’m getting hung up on effects though. There are sooooo many modules out there, so figuring out what’s good is challenging. Not to mention most demos of effects are layered on top of drones so you don’t really know what it does.

Bryan T

guitar owner
I’m currently saving up for a Moog Grandmother, which will likely lead to a bunch of Eurorack expansions.

I spent some time at a local synth dealer and came to the conclusion that just processing audio with Eurorack stuff didn’t make a lot of sense financially. The audio stuff be a nice side effect of getting back into synths

Trending Topics