Euthymia ICBM in the house!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GuitarBrent, Dec 16, 2005.

1. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I got this as an early XMAS gift from my Dad. He ordered it from Musictoyz and wanted me to try it to make sure I liked it. Uh, yeah. It's awesome. I've seen threads on this before, but I've got to put my .02 in. I was happy to find that it also works great behind my Picture Wah. Many fuzzes do not match up well here, due to impedance mismatches. I guess since this is IC instead of transistors that's less of an issue. Anyway, the fuzz sounds huge and massive with Strats, McCarty, and Monaco Elite P-90. Tremendous sustain and somehow keeps the timbre of the pickup being used. Great job by Erik for reviving this version of the Big Muff! Oh how I love muff! :rolleyes:

2. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

Do you have any Muff's to compare it to??

3. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

No, but I've played the U.S. Reissue Big Muff and the Russian Big mUff from EH. I've also played a few choice vintage units. I think the Gainster and Carlygtr56 have done great reviews and comparisons with other boutique Muffs. I didn't want to :horse

Do a search on ICBM to see their comparisons. I doubt you can go wrong with any of the different muff flavors. Just like women, every muff flavor is unique and great tasting. :D I just wanted to comment how well it works behind my wah with no squealing whatsoever.

4. MrSage

MrSage Member

The ICBM is amazing. It's literally identical to the IC Muff from the 70s. A bit more clarity than my Skreddy Zero, but they both sound amazing.

I like me some muff!

5. j_hotch

j_hotch Member

I'm wondering if any of you could share some settings for getting this 'clarity' out the ICBM.

I have an AC-powered model which I run after my compressor, and I have a lot of trouble keeping it from becoming a massive wall of mush. To get any kind of picking definition, I have to run it with about 5% fuzz and 95% volume, with the tone around 50%.

Should I put it somewhere else in the signal chain? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

6. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Is your compressor on while using the ICBM? I think that would be overkill, the ICBM has enough sustain on it's own. And since the compressor keeps the level even, rolling back the volume on your axe won't do much to clean things up.

7. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Do you have non-true bypass effects in your chain as well? This usually affects vintage fuzzes as far as clarity, gain, volume knob responsiveness, and envelope of the note. :JAM

8. j_hotch

j_hotch Member

That's a "yes" and "yes" to those two queries. Should I move the ICBM before the buffered pedals? Would this make a difference?

9. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I'd turn the compressor off, as previously noted. I'd also either lose the buffered effects or put them in a true bypassed looper of some kind. To truly hear how the ICBM sounds, don't plug anything else in between your guitar and amp. Then as you add stuff, you can better see what's affecting it the most in the chain.