EV-alike speakers: what are your opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Randingo, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Randingo

Randingo Member

I'm aware of three speakers that are meant to be similar to the EVM12L:
    1) Eminence Legend EM12
    2) Weber Michigan
    3) Warehouse WGS12L

I've never played an actual EV for any length of time (one gig with a Mark III, and fooling around with a couple of Twins), so I'm not sure exactly what I'd be missing out on by going for something "close." Who has experience with any of these speakers? Can any of you compare them with an actual EV? Do any of them have glaring weaknesses I should be aware of? What other speakers in the EV camp should I be considering? Do you have recommendations for something altogether different you think I should consider? If so, feel free to tell me why...

The plan in the not too distant future would be to put it in an EV-spec Thiele-ported cab, but for the time being, it would be going in a traditional 112 with a semi-open back. It would see duty with my Maz 18 Reverb and a soon-to-be-ordered Quilter MicroPro Mach2. I'm hoping the Quilter could pull double-duty as an acoustic amp for 25% of the duo set I'll be doing. The EV-like speaker should provide wide enough frequency response to sound reasonably natural on the acoustic stuff and really shine on the clean electric sounds that will be the primary accompaniment to my friend's acoustic playing, while the Quilter will hopefully eliminate stage volume issues when we're in coffeehouses or restaurant settings and are always difficult for a self-contained duo working primarily with an acoustic.

2. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

I have tried the Legend, and have used EVs on and off live and in the studio. My opinion when comparing the two is that the EV12L was slightly clearer, less low end, and suited my amp better ( Marshall ), but however since I have returned to Celestion voiced speakers, as I prefer the colouration that they give. I use Scumback speakers now. The EVs are just too efficient and I like the old style tones of the Scumbacks.

I didn't dislike the Legend, but it didn't sound as good as the EV12L, it just seemed to lack character.

3. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

EV use to make 2 different EV12L and EV12S the S was brighter from my recollection. EV12L is a great clean speaker but very heavy in weight. I owned a Weber California 15" that was suppose to be a JBL D 130 clone. Didn't have much clean headroom so I got rid of it quickly. Hopefully the Michigan is better.
    I do have a couple of Quilters, Aviator 1x12" combo(replaced speaker WGS ET90 100 watt) and a Tone Block 200 which I use 1 or 2 Egnater Rebel closed back cabs w/ Jensen Neo Torbado 100 watt 8 ohms speakers. I really like loud and clean and am pleased w/ both rigs!

4. Randingo

Randingo Member

Thanks for the feedback so far. The Quilter comes stock with a Celestion Lead80 if I get the 12" version, so they certainly like the British voicing. I'm skeptical about the Weber Michigan--and a little skeptical about them in general--because the power handling is only 100 watts on the Michigan and because several people I know claim to have had bad experiences with Weber speakers; but their reputation seems really solid here and elsewhere, so I always throw them in the mix. My one experience with them is negative, but it's due to buyer error before the speaker ever ended up in my hands...

Maybe I'll consider a 100w Scumback H75 in another cab, as I really like the G12H30, but I'd need more power handling with the Quilter (although I don't see anytime soon I'd be pushing it anywhere near it's rated power).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  5. Randingo

Randingo Member

Bump for more feedback...

6. 71strat

71strat Member

I think the Celestions may get lost in a TS806 cabinet, and is Not the best case scenario for them. Probably will work. But Not optimal.

The TS806... Mistakenly called a Thiele... is specifically Tuned/Ported for a Certain frequency, ( 55hz) and the EV has a Very Very Low Resonant Frequency. Thus Requiring the Porting if you want to get 100% out of it. A regularly tuned guitar usually wont stress the Higher/Lower Registers but It Will if you use Dive Bombing a Tremolo, Drop Tuning or Octave Lowering pedals. There are also subharmonics that are beyond the normal tuning in both high and low registers.

The EV has a Resonant Frequency of 55.

The Celestion has a RF of 75.

I think the Celestion could be Boomy in the TS806 cabinet as it is not properly tuned and the internal dimensions are not optimal.

Its generally accepted that a RF Resonant Frequency ) of 88 or more is best in a Sealed Enclosure.

Not to be Confused with Frequency Response.

RF of 75-87 is good for either a Sealed or Open/Semi Open Back.

Anything less than 75 is good for, Open, Sealed, Semi Open, Ported.

But to get 100% out of anything less than 75hz RF it has to be Ported/Tuned for a Specific Frequency or you can run into Boominess in the Low end and lack of response/dull.

I myself have Tim at TRM Cabinets Make me some TS806 Cabinets 100% ALL 3/4 x 13 Ply Void Free Baltic Birch. They also have 3 piece backs so I can run the Cabinets.

Ported, Open, Sealed, Semi Open.

I put JBL E120's with Hemp Cones in them which are Very Similar to the EV. They have a 60hz RF also called FS.

Another 12's that have this Low FS is the Fane Studio 12L. It has an RF/FS of 49.

With that cabinet I would buy a Blown JBL E120 and send it to A Brown Soun for a Hemp Recone.

E120 is also 2db more efficient than the EV and will work perfectly in the TS806.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]