• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

EV Evolve 30m - big noob question

mlkIII

Silver Supporting Member
So a group I started playing with has a this PA with 2 EV powered monitors. The singer has always done acoustic gigs and is new to playing with a band (he’s only 19 but mega talented). This EV system only has 8 XLR/TRS inputs. We can almost make that work but not quite. For the drummer, I’d like to at minimum get 2 overheads and kick drum through the PA, 2 inputs for my FM3, bass can run direct, 3 vocal mics and an acoustic.

I know I can buy a mixer and use the extra inputs there but where would that connect into the EV? I have a massive overkill 24 channel Ramsa mixer but I don’t think I’d carry that to small venues where we’d be running our own sound (I would love to sell or trade this Ramsa mixer!). I am not great at running sound but I’m going to be the one doing it as I’m the only one with any experience in the bad with it. Thankfully I’ve learned a good bit from this forum from it and I think it sounds pretty decent once I get things dialed in.

I’d like to avoid buying a mixer if possible but open to doing it if I have to. The only other option I could think of is possibly using my usb audio interface with the EV for the extra XLR inputs but I have no idea if that’s even possible? If it’s not, I’d be looking at getting a used Midas or Behringer X18 (I would get a 18 so I could use it for other bands I play in as well if I needed to).

just looking for suggestions from experienced guys and gals here for what they would do in this situation. Any help input or info is much appreciated. Thanks!

aflynt

The Evolve 30/50M has a pretty limited mixer. No gain controls and realistically just 5 channels. Inputs 5 and 6 are paired in Stereo with just 1 fader (no independent level controls) and 7/8 are only feed by Bluetooth. I’d just get an XR18.

-Aaron

Last edited:

mlkIII

Silver Supporting Member
The Evolve 30/50M has a pretty limited mixer. No gain controls and realistically just 5 channels. Inputs 5 and 6 are paired in Stereo with just 1 fader (no independent level controls) and 7/8 are only feed by Bluetooth. I’d just get an XR18.

-Aaron

7/8 works without Bluetooth as well. I use those two at a rehearsal last week. We have made it work for smaller gigs but on stage it was hard for everyone to hear each other. I’d love to do IEMs but singer doesn’t like them for some reason.

mlkIII

Silver Supporting Member
Going to buy a Midas or Behringer XR18. Guess I need to factor in a wireless router as well. Thanks for the feedback!

JamonGrande

Silver Supporting Member
Are you running just 1 Evolve? If so, I don't think running a stereo pair is needed, or can be potentially a problem. If the Evolve sums stereo signals into mono, some of your effects will exhibit phase cancellation and result in lower-than-expected levels. The 2290 delay model is notorious for "disappearing" when summed to mono.

Outside of that, my gut reaction is that if you need drum overheads for a full kit, the Evolve 30s may not be the right choice for mains. I really like mini-arrays, but more for sound reinforcement than full band amplification. If everything else is going direct, your drums are setting your dynamic range more than anything else. If I want everything on the stage louder, I would want a bigger system. But I don't know your musical context, so take that with a grain of salt.

mlkIII

Silver Supporting Member
Are you running just 1 Evolve? If so, I don't think running a stereo pair is needed, or can be potentially a problem. If the Evolve sums stereo signals into mono, some of your effects will exhibit phase cancellation and result in lower-than-expected levels. The 2290 delay model is notorious for "disappearing" when summed to mono.

Outside of that, my gut reaction is that if you need drum overheads for a full kit, the Evolve 30s may not be the right choice for mains. I really like mini-arrays, but more for sound reinforcement than full band amplification. If everything else is going direct, your drums are setting your dynamic range more than anything else. If I want everything on the stage louder, I would want a bigger system. But I don't know your musical context, so take that with a grain of salt.

so I def think 1Evolve tower may not be ideal as the only main for a full band now that I am looking more into it. I think 2 would be great (I played a 700-800 person in attendance outside show in a amphitheater recently with my STP tribute band and the hired sound engineers had 2 Evolve towers and EV subs but didn’t have the mixers onboard. Sounded killer!).

this group is everything country (old, 90s, and new) and classic rock. The venues we play that we run sound are all cover sets so at our loudest we’d be playing Rage Against the Machine. That’s the most distorted and loudest we are all night. I am trying to convince the singer to buy another tower and sub and I’ll buy the mixer. Drummer will buy a monitor for himself and singer is about to upgrade his 2 Behringer monitors for used EVs local to us.

about the stereo vs mono thing….are you saying that the Evolve isn’t capable of running a stereo guitar rig? I’m sorry, I’m super new to all of this so trying to be sure I’m understanding correctly. Thanks for the help!!

JamonGrande

Silver Supporting Member
The Evolve will input a stereo signal, BUT it will sum those two signals into a mono output. For the most part, that is fine. But some stereo effects achieve their perceived width by manipulating the phase relationship between the two signals. When those two signals are summed, they can cancel parts of the frequency spectrum (leaving only the difference between the two), or in some cases cancel the signal all together. The 2290 model in the FM3 does this: it sounds like a single repeat that is far left and far right (not in the middle) by having those two signal 180 degrees out of phase with each other. Summing them into mono results in no echo heard. Even worse would be the "classic enhancer" block which makes the guitar tone itself wide in the stereo field; combining the two signals may result in no audible output from a summed mono speaker. I've had this happen with all sorts of direct signals like modelers and keyboards. Long story short: if you are running a stereo output make sure that it is being sent to two speakers setup for stereo operation. With my AxeFx 3 rig, I will first ask the sound guy if they are running a stereo setup (not if they will take stereo, as some will and sum it to mono anyways). If only running mono, I will only send just the Left output and keep things simple (I may not get all the fun stereo stuff, but I know levels won't get weird). I hope that helps.

And yes, two Evolves will be better for the band and get you the option to run your rig in stereo. I personally would rather have an external mixer in that scenario, but you could possibly get by without (it would take some creative routing to use the internal mixers working in stereo).

mlkIII

Silver Supporting Member
The Evolve will input a stereo signal, BUT it will sum those two signals into a mono output. For the most part, that is fine. But some stereo effects achieve their perceived width by manipulating the phase relationship between the two signals. When those two signals are summed, they can cancel parts of the frequency spectrum (leaving only the difference between the two), or in some cases cancel the signal all together. The 2290 model in the FM3 does this: it sounds like a single repeat that is far left and far right (not in the middle) by having those two signal 180 degrees out of phase with each other. Summing them into mono results in no echo heard. Even worse would be the "classic enhancer" block which makes the guitar tone itself wide in the stereo field; combining the two signals may result in no audible output from a summed mono speaker. I've had this happen with all sorts of direct signals like modelers and keyboards. Long story short: if you are running a stereo output make sure that it is being sent to two speakers setup for stereo operation. With my AxeFx 3 rig, I will first ask the sound guy if they are running a stereo setup (not if they will take stereo, as some will and sum it to mono anyways). If only running mono, I will only send just the Left output and keep things simple (I may not get all the fun stereo stuff, but I know levels won't get weird). I hope that helps.

And yes, two Evolves will be better for the band and get you the option to run your rig in stereo. I personally would rather have an external mixer in that scenario, but you could possibly get by without (it would take some creative routing to use the internal mixers working in stereo).

thank you for this!! Yeah I usually send stereo to the sound guy when sound is provided but they never tell you if they’ll sum it to mono. That happened last weekend and I just sent him a mono signal and it worked great. I use a dual delay on my big gain lead sound and it sounds so killer in stereo but in mono you get the ping without the pong. Still sounds good but it’s obviously better in stereo. The chorus I use sounds better in stereo but still sounds good in mono.

I’m going to get a XR18 and hopefully get the singer to buy another Evolve tower. That will be perfect. We need another main no matter what we do

Trending Topics

Top Bottom