EV evolve 50

Has anyone used these array PA system for live band work? Interested to get thoughts on how they would handle a four - six piece band mainly for weddings. They seem reasonably priced , only concern is putting a band mix through them say 3 vocals, guitar (ax8) , keys bass and kick . Doesnt seem to be many vids on this topic either...

sants

The evolve 50 sounds really good. If you don’t expect too much out of them and use them within reason they should handle what you are trying to do.

I got to mix band on them. You will not get the same impact as a larger top box and bigger sub but I think they are very impressive for their size and weight. Much better sounding than the turbo sound ip3000s I had.

To get more output you’d want to look at something like the rcf evox 12 and the latest everyone has been raving about, the dB technologies es1203. You are at higher price points than the evolve but will most likely find more price movement.

I do think the evolve 50 would handle a band yes. It will certainly help if you have lower stage volume and solid musicianship. My concern is if you are doing weddings, you should be taking in a decent buck. Wedding size can be all over the place. Make sure you have access to a larger, more impactful system if needed. Systems like these are great but the are not the end all.

I’d like to grab a stick system as they do come in handy. The evolve 50 is a strong contender.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Silver Supporting Member
I heard one for the first time yesterday in the local Guitar Center where they were using it to stream background music via Bluetooth.

As usual, I agree with @sants. Almost any of these column systems can work really well if you use enough of them and operate them well within their limits. They provide a professional, polished sound at a reasonable level.

Most people who dislike them are probably asking them to do too much.

modulusman

I own a pair of evolve 50s. Unfortunately I was only able to use them once this year with my band. They sound really good IMO and can get pretty loud. Next spring the plan is to use these at one of my guest ranch gigs. Probably only 50 people in audience in most cases. We are a 4 piece country/rock band. We are also considering using no amps and just going direct. The only drum we mic for this gig is the kick.

The evolve 50 sounds really good. If you don’t expect too much out of them and use them within reason they should handle what you are trying to do.

I got to mix band on them. You will not get the same impact as a larger top box and bigger sub but I think they are very impressive for their size and weight. Much better sounding than the turbo sound ip3000s I had.

To get more output you’d want to look at something like the rcf evox 12 and the latest everyone has been raving about, the dB technologies es1203. You are at higher price points than the evolve but will most likely find more price movement.

I do think the evolve 50 would handle a band yes. It will certainly help if you have lower stage volume and solid musicianship. My concern is if you are doing weddings, you should be taking in a decent buck. Wedding size can be all over the place. Make sure you have access to a larger, more impactful system if needed. Systems like these are great but the are not the end all.

I’d like to grab a stick system as they do come in handy. The evolve 50 is a strong contender.

Thanks for your response Sants (and all).
I noticed one thing when checking out the various youtube demo vids out there.
My ears seem to detect some sort of compression that seems common with the demos.
Of course there's the audio compression that you get with a regular youtube vid.
But to my ears there seems to be some sort of lack of headroom , would you say that is true or am I just experiencing youtube compression?

billyguitar

If it's a wide room I would want to use two stick systems. You can EASILY be loud enough for most functions. If you are playing an event for more than 200 people they should be providing a system and an operator. I didn't think I would like sticks until the JBL EON ONE came out. I bought a pair and now I'm selling off my systems that need speaker poles. I am very pleased.

If it's a wide room I would want to use two stick systems. You can EASILY be loud enough for most functions. If you are playing an event for more than 200 people they should be providing a system and an operator. I didn't think I would like sticks until the JBL EON ONE came out. I bought a pair and now I'm selling off my systems that need speaker poles. I am very pleased.
Are you using your stick system for band use?

aflynt

We used a single Evolve 50 and a small vocal monitor with our 4 piece band for most shows for about a year. Just vocals, kick and keys through the system, though. We did all kinds of shows from little bars to outdoor events without issue. In certain situations we would supplement the Evolve with an Alto TS310 when we needed more audience coverage. It's a great sounding system and very powerful.

-Aaron

billyguitar

Are you using your stick system for band use?
Yes I am. We recently payed an outdoor city concert and all reports were the mix was great and the sound was very clear. It's hard to make the JBL stick sound bad. I don't try for crushing volume. I want people to be able to talk while we play. If they want it loud they can move closer. I am a believer in sticks. I especially like not needing speaker poles. The JBLs collapse down into one box so they are the maximum in portability. I use mine with a Midas MR 18 mixer and an Ipad. For monitors I use Behringer B208Ds. Once again, it's about good sound at moderate volumes. I have played in bands that cranked 122 decibels and decided that's ridiculous.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Silver Supporting Member
Yes I am. We recently payed an outdoor city concert and all reports were the mix was great and the sound was very clear. It's hard to make the JBL stick sound bad. I don't try for crushing volume. I want people to be able to talk while we play. If they want it loud they can move closer. I am a believer in sticks. I especially like not needing speaker poles. The JBLs collapse down into one box so they are the maximum in portability. I use mine with a Midas MR 18 mixer and an Ipad. For monitors I use Behringer B208Ds. Once again, it's about good sound at moderate volumes. I have played in bands that cranked 122 decibels and decided that's ridiculous.

For sure! Very few venues want punishing sound in the first place.

modulusman

JBL says that a system with roughly 115 maximum SPL is good for about 35 people outside. The system you use is 118. Not enough horsepower IMO. The evolve will do 127 so it is twice as loud as the JBL.

billyguitar

JBL says that a system with roughly 115 maximum SPL is good for about 35 people outside. The system you use is 118. Not enough horsepower IMO. The evolve will do 127 so it is twice as loud as the JBL.
I don't care what the stats are, I know what happened. I played an outdoor gig, local city summer concert, with about 150 people and I used two JBL EON sticks. Most people sat about 80' to 100' away. They said the mix and sound was great. Those comments were unsolicited. They could also understand our spoken words just fine. I miced everything, sax, trumpet, upright bass, drums (overhead and kick) 3 vocal mics. I was short one mic so I didn't mic the guitar, but the vocal mics picked up enough to carry it. BTW: I could have easily turned it up louder, I was not out of headroom. Loud enough for a balanced sound is all I need. You're free to play as loud as you like. The JBLs are the best compromise between convenience and good sound, IMO. If I didn't already have the JBLs I would consider the EVs but the extra cost would make me think hard about if I wanted the extra weight and not as convenient to carry. I'm happy with my gear.

Let’s meet up in Phoenix and play some rawk!
Silver Supporting Member
I ordered a single Evolve 50 to see if I like it for low volume band practice with vDrums and both guitar and bass going direct. I doubt the vocals will even need to be mic'd. My hope is that I love it then I can use it as stereo speakers for that room and have the upside of a portable PA for live outings as either the PA or stage monitors.

FiestaRed869

I ordered a single Evolve 50 to see if I like it for low volume band practice with vDrums and both guitar and bass going direct. I doubt the vocals will even need to be mic'd. My hope is that I love it then I can use it as stereo speakers for that room and have the upside of a portable PA for live outings as either the PA or stage monitors.

Did you end up getting the EV 50? Curious how it handled an entire band including e kit direct ?

FiestaRed869

I sure did...and I've not unboxed it yet.

lol no way I could sit around knowing that was in my house. I’d have to atleast plug something in and blast it once. I have 2 EV ZLX12bt and plan on getting their 15 subwoofer to handle my fully direct band (including drums) . That Evolve 50 looks perfect for smaller type stuff but such a waste for me when I could just bring my 2 12s . If money didn’t matter I’d have two of those no doubt

Let’s meet up in Phoenix and play some rawk!
Silver Supporting Member
lol no way I could sit around knowing that was in my house. I’d have to atleast plug something in and blast it once. I have 2 EV ZLX12bt and plan on getting their 15 subwoofer to handle my fully direct band (including drums) . That Evolve 50 looks perfect for smaller type stuff but such a waste for me when I could just bring my 2 12s . If money didn’t matter I’d have two of those no doubt

Life is just getting in the way.

They are definitely expensive. Twice as much as the ELX series. I only purchased one, and it is used, to make sure I like it before I pickup the second one.

stephenT

I'm going to buy the Evolve 30m on Monday, I like the expanded inputs, and the weight looks good for my 70 yr old back.

FiestaRed869

Life is just getting in the way.

They are definitely expensive. Twice as much as the ELX series. I only purchased one, and it is used, to make sure I like it before I pickup the second one.

Ya I think it comes down to needs and priorities. I think two ZLX12s and two of their 12 or 15 subs outperforms two Evolve 50s by a lot in terms of capabilities and how loud you can get. Also that’s almost $800 cheaper so appples to apples You could even upgrade to elx and now we’re talking a phenominal PA setup better then what most bands have. Now If your a solo acoustic I think rolling up with the setup is a bit much. Thing is if your in a band and do solo stuff does it make sense to spend an extra $3200 for two Evolves if you already have the setup I listed?

If I only did solos or smaller stuff the evolve looks absolutely perfect In terms
Of size and power but in the back of my head I would feel short changed knowing the type of setup I could get for the same cost . That was my deciding factor when debating the Evolve. Plus I’m still young and a few 12s and subs aren’t bad now that all I have is my helix that goes direct

I actually don’t understand why no one has come up with a line array system like Evolve 50 that has the power and capability of a 12 inch over a 15 sub. I understand the concept is Portability but man I love the look of the evolve and there’s a bunch of people who would prefer a larger sub. It would still be much
More practical and infinitely easier to setup and look much cleaner. To be fair I’ve only heard and Evovle in the store but the consensus seems to be it can’t hang with a traditional 12 top over a sub, atleast for an entire band scenario

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom