EV Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ROKY, Sep 9, 2004.

1. ROKY

ROKY Member

Hey guys what's the consensus on EV speakers ?

Are they *more* efficient(louder) than say, a Vintage 30 ?

Are they fairly balanced in highs lows mids ?

Or do they have a bump somewhere on the freq. spectrum ?

I know they really don't break up, which is ok.

They seem to be popular with the Boogie or Dumble-inspired
    players that want to hear the amp overdrive and not any
    speaker breakup .

Who here is using an EV(which model?) and with what
    amp guitar and style of play ?

Thanks

2. ShortyK

ShortyK Member

Hey Roky,

I have a couple of 12L's due in this week. Going into my 2x12 with a Mesa Boogie head. Let you know later this week on my impressions....

sK

3. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I have a couple EVM's. One is an EV-labeled 200watter. It has done duty in a few amps over the last 10 or so years...it currently resides in a Fender MusicMaster Bass amp! It makes that amp sound HUGE.

I have a Mesa/EV in a Mesa/Thiele cab. It gets played with a MKIII head, and a Studio 22+. Heavy blues/rock mostly, and some far-out crazy stuff when my kid plugs his 5150 into it.

They have big lows and punch, but they can sound sterile and wimpy at low volumes. They're not for the "bedroom" crowd, IMO. They have great "cut" with the band...very "out-front"

4. mofinco

mofinco Member

To take off on what RussB said, having used EVs since 1979, he's right about them not being for quiet playing. The earlier ones, the ones rated at 200w, are the ones you want to find. They need a really good 'push' to sound good, but when you can push them, they're great! Since most of my current band has all the instruments going direct through the PA, our onstage speaker cabs are more like local 'monitors'... so we can hear ourselves and each other... I use Celestions onstage now. They don't need the same push. But I still treasure the two 1x15 cabs I have with 200w EVM15Ls in them. When the neighbors are out, I still enjoy stacking them up, plugging in my old SF Bassman, and diming that sucker! What a joyous sound! :dude

5. doctord02

doctord02 Member

My fave hi volume clean/no coloration (well, relatively speaking...) is the 200 watt EV-SRO with the finned magnet (not the early coffee can)

I think of them as non-sterile (unlike JBLs which seem too flat for me) and great for hearing the amp - clean or overdriven.

But yeah, you need to throw the juice to them.

6. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Is the 200W Mesa Black Widow a rebranded EV? I have one in a Mesa 1x12 and it sounds great, even when driven by my little 3CP1. Curiously enough, my Soldanos never sounded good through it. :(

7. mofinco

mofinco Member

If you mean the 200w Mesa Black Shadow (Black Widow is a Peavey speaker)... then yes, they're the same. Mesa doesn't make speakers, just like they don't make tubes. They buy someone else's stuff and rebrand them.

8. Shai`tan

Shai`tan Guest

Just found one of these. Hope to have it Monday.

9. ROKY

ROKY Member

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys; it's very helpful .

10. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Thanks for the info (and correction :jo). :)