EV SRO alnico, and a Celestion Cream Alnico in a Pro Reverb...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 55hz, Apr 30, 2015.

1. 55hz

55hz Member

there's so little out there about the Alnico Cream....would anybody like to hypothesize on this pair in a Pro Reverb? Wild conjecture is welcome...thanks!

2. uriahh1

uriahh1 Member

Lets see, the SRO (coffee can) 30lbs, the new Alnico Cream probably 20lbs...
    you will need 1 backbrace..and 1 refrigerator dolly...
    lol..

dual alnicos would probably be nice...brighter EV with warmer new cream..

3. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

The cream is 9-10 lbs, and I'm not sure about the SRO - the EVM12L is about 20 lbs. Which is one of the reasons I always sell my EVM12L speakers. So yes - if you can fit both of these in the Pro (I think you probably can), moving it will be tough. The EV on the one side might make carrying the amp a bit cumbersome. I always tend to find EV speakers a bit to flat for my taste - I prefer the British midrange. However, the 12L and a Gold or V30 pair very nicely. I think the two speakers would probably sound great together. My personal choice would be two Celestions, and I rarely go for the added cost of Alnico any more. I've got a Steamboat Hemp 100 in both my amps (Fender DR and Mesa Mark III). Lastly, make sure the SRO is in good condition - the cone and the magnet is magnetized.

4. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Ever since I saw you post about steamboat hemp 100 speakers I've put them in all my cabs. They are my new favorite speaker

5. 55hz

55hz Member

Thanks for the responses guys! Does anyone know who has the best deal on the Alnico Cream?

6. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Really? Great to hear! I love these speakers - got two, one for each of my amps!

I'd check Avatar to buy new, otherwise you can wait and see if you can snag a used one.