Eventide Buffer sounds great!!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by slopeshoulder, May 14, 2008.

1. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

man o man, this Eventide buffer (time factor) sounds GREAT!! I need a buffer, and this one sounds so musical. The lost highs come back, but not at all hi fi, thin, or crispy. It's louder, warmer. I recently tested it vs. a bunch of others, and love it. Then just tonight I was wondering if I could lose the mini-looper that takes my Klon out of line (to take buffer out). So I put the Eventide in relay bypass (no buffer) and used the Klon buffer. Back and forth. Klon is fine, but more hi fi (mids dip, highs increase). ET just sounds warm. A GREAT buffer IMO.

2. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I agree. It's fantastic. Best I've heard actually.......

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

kind of seems like a waste though.... most people who have them find they are most effective in buffered FX loops anyway.

4. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

The cool thing that I've read about them is that it is switchable. So if you find you're using it in front of the amp and you need a buffer, it's there and if you're running it in the FX loop, you can set it for true bypass and forget about it.

5. shaynewgreen

shaynewgreen Member

wow. you can set it to true bypass??

6. Teahead

Teahead Member

Yes and as great as the buffer is I still keep mine in true bypass mode when using my 18w Plexi because the hiss of an active Timefactor is more audible into that amp than it is into my AC30. Strictly speaking of using it into the amp's front end here, I have no effects loop.

Putting the choice in the user's hands was a wise move by Eventide. It's a great buffer indeed, but the true bypass is a nice option.

7. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

YES! The manual is a bit misleading insofar as it says that this is not recommended if the input is your guitar and you have long cables (in other words, if you need a buffer). So it's sort of circular, tautological, and jejune (he said, sounding like Fripp). But yes, you can turn the buffer off.

8. eldanko

eldanko Supporting Member

I have the same problem into my 18w Maz Jr. but not in my 36w Plexi - why is that? Staying on task - the buffer is great despite the hiss. I generally prefer the DSP bypass unless I need it pretty quiet.