Eventide Devices with " Dirt Od/Dist " section.....

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by marpa94, Dec 28, 2017.

1. marpa94

marpa94 Member

Hy guys,

Hope you spent nice holidays....

Now....i watched some youtube videos about

Eventide Devices with " Dirt Od/Dist " section.....

Here the link, made by a guru of racks devices, mr italo

Its really hard to find them on youtube and i like them very much,
    They are really different from others od/dist or fuzzes...

Please share your opinions and im curious of which devices could do thise dirty fx and if there are other nice that performs dirty out there

Rack wise.....of course

Thanx a lot

2. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

I like amp distortion and breakup, typically.

The experiences I have with rack devices for distortion are ADA MP-1, Digitech GSP 2101. I gigged for several years with MP-1. That MP-1 sounded best through a VHT 2150 power amp...like exponentially better than any other power amp I ever used it with.

Now, I know it's not a rack device, but the Fender Cyber Twin can sound pretty amazing. I had a friend over this past Christmas and we had a little jam. I had him playing through the CT with a Tweed circuit into a Blackface tone stack with tape echo using active pickups and it was sounding so sweet! That blackface breakup just has this magically subtle crunchiness that id's like suckin on chocolate. My friend is a singer songwriter type... An acoustic strummer/picker who can joyfully churn it out for hours and this set up I had him running through seemed to inspire him beyond his typical acoustic stylings; it really suited his playing.

2101 has it's uses, it does sound rather lo rez... But it's capable of some brutal distortion. But Digitech build quality, especially running noise is really good. I reckon it would sound a lot better through a VHT 2150 & some 4x12s.

My friend that jammed with me on Christmas brought over his Korg A3 that he doesn't use. It needed a battery swap. That A3 unit is pretty noisy...it probably needs some tuning up as it has a high freq whine as soon as it is powered on. I gonna dig into it a bit over the next couple weeks....maybe replace the backlight on it.

marpa94 likes this.
  3. marpa94

marpa94 Member

Hey ,

Thanx a lot,
    Im planning to buy an eclipse, or others eventide and lexicon devices and try to understand if the drives section is good or not...

Ive appreciated your suggestions, expecially on 2101, its been a while im looking at it.

So the A3 has a dirty section?

Thanx a lot for the infos

Ciaooo from snowy italy

ctreitzell likes this.
  4. marpa94

marpa94 Member

@italo de angelis

Ciao italo,

Seems you are , the right person to ask

Can you help me please

Ciaooooo

ctreitzell likes this.
  5. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Member

It's not a "drive section" in the same sense as multi-effectors that have an analog drive section or amp modeling section. The Eventides use their normal DSP section set up in ways that produce (usually quite unique) distortion and fuzz sounds. You will not find Fender, Marshall, or Boogie emulations. But you probably won't find the stuff in Italo's clips in any of the devices that do give you those emulations.

(Source Audio does do some pedals with multi-band and wave-folding distortions that are a bit adventurous, so some credit there--not same-old-same-old.)

ctreitzell and marpa94 like this.
  6. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

If you want an amp distortion... buy a ****ing amp! That's the best you can get. Nothing sounds like an amp...
    If you want different kind of distortion, not trying to be an amp but taking your ears elsewhere, on a different type of sounds... then the Eventide is unique as it's the only device opening new ways to create that AND interact with effects in unknown ways.

Man with Gas, ctreitzell and marpa94 like this.
  7. marpa94

marpa94 Member

Thats the point!
    Yourre really right,
    Those eventide sounds are really ears catching for me.....
    Are the sounds in your clip build by you or the stock ones in those devices are nearest similar yours.

The point is which device from eventide is able To do those sounds,
    Others than the ones in the clip.

Id like to more know about these and if you are runnig them parallel to your dry signal ,100% wet.
    I know you are a mixer addicted....;)

I read the manual and the algos routing of the eclipse, really creative....like them alot.

Please help me.

Thanxxxxx

ctreitzell likes this.
  8. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

That's a tough one. Answering your question would be like going thru 20+ years of sound design on Eventides, from the DSP4000 to the H8000, thruthe 4500, 7000 and Oville.
    I'll make it short...
    The early distortions developements were done on the GTR4000, mostly as a dedicated work to the Stick! Yep... many presets were developed playing the Stick thru the Eventide and work was done with Trey Gunn in mind... and other King Crimsonians. When more DSP power became available with the 7000/7500/Orville (4x o 8x more powerful than a 4000) the distortion was made in a different way. The earlier algorithms had a ton of separated modules used to create gain, clip, rectification and what not. Later on a distortion preamp module was created; capable of using pre_made waveforms and to morph between 2, this preamp gave a lot more options in creating overdriven or fuzzed textures. The overall design of these tones was always matched by the use of creative effects and interesting routings. You may have a delay slap, a chorus and a set of resonators... or a slap delay and a stereo diffchorus for ambience... and so on. Many variations there.
    It would be interesting to ownload the DSP4500 and the H8000 presets manuals and read the descriptions of those presets to really get the idea of what kind of articulate and unique creations they are... still light years ahead of anything, no matter what if old or current.
    Eclipse uses the distortion preamp, often associated to some effects, but in a more limited way as half unit power is always taken for the distortion alone.
    The clips... there is no parallel dry sound. I use them in series as they are intended to be run. But some of those sounds can be paired to dry sound for some interesting dynamic crossfades between dry and dirt.
    Polyfuzzes and polydrivers are very cool... with bands panned to different locations of the stereo field. And effects added to them.
    Yep... it's really cool stuff one could work with for years and have tones very unique and original... different from anything else.
    They are also very good for èrocessing other sources than guitar, bass or Stick.
    The H8000 brought serious multi-channels processing, with 8 inputs and outputs, finally allowing for separate strings processing if a split pickup is used.
    But as you may know... guitarists are sooo traditional that it usually takes them decades to approach real new stuff, so you are going to witness more of these wonders in the future...

ctreitzell and marpa94 like this.
  9. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

Yes, A3 has distortion :) I have barely scratched the surface with A3...I intend to work with it a bit over the next few days. It is kind of an odd machine with multi-function knobs for each effect in an "effects chain". These knobs turn like a pot, but you also push them and they select/deselect fx in somewhat of a stompbox manner. My friend's A3 LCD backlight is non-functional, I have read that A3 backlights notoriously fall. My friend doesn't remember the backlight ever working. There are replacement backlights available for small money.

2101? If you look to purchase one, try to find one with 2 chips. Mine is a single chip, I came too late to the party to get a second PPC210 chip, so far. There is a guy in Germany whom I got some upgrades from for 2101: 3.00 firmware and tubes. I think the tubes he sold me sound better than the EHX tubes I had in it. I do really like the GSP 2101 footcontroller I got this past summer on ebay...it is like brand new, not a spec of dust on a 20 year old fc. I especially like the 18 character display and it is powered via a single midi cable. It isn't of gig-worthy build quality, though. 2101 has midi merge, which is very helpful :)

marpa94 likes this.
  10. marpa94

marpa94 Member

Great italo,

As usual there is always something really interesting to learn from yours posts.....

So the eclipse seems to be the more budget convenient with fx and drives packed, than others eventide right?

Now i think its time to choose the right mixer, vlz series is the goal, at least with two stereo sends/return,but i saw there are vlz3 and vlz pro, are the same quality and are the mixers good to buy used?

Thanx a lot from rainy italy

11. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Eclipse gives you fixed structures... and A LOT of them... so you have to figure out what you want and match the algorithms. You don't have the freedom only Vsig can give you... to put anything wherever you want, in any kind of routing...
    Used mixers... from studio installment is a better choice. FoH not good... too many miles, bumps and weather conditions on them.
    An used mixer MUST be tested and checked accurately... ON THE SPOT. Not something you buy lightly.

ctreitzell likes this.
  12. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I definitely like some of the distortion&fuzz sounds from my Eclipse. I’ll have to dig out a clip.

Another rack piece with a decent dirt section is the Electrix Filter Factory. They’re cheap, too, I got mine for <$100 a few months back.

marpa94 and ctreitzell like this.
  13. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

Yeah, I would say new mixer is prudent...even then, you need to know how to put the new mixer through its paces.

marpa94 likes this.
  14. marpa94

marpa94 Member

HI chrome,

Would be great listen some tones from dirty section of the eclipse,
    Italo’s tones are awesome, even if i havent understand if they are from stock present or more realistic they were from the genius of him.

Im gonna check electrix, but here in italy they dont come so cheap.

Thanx and ciaooo from sunny italy

Chrome Dinette likes this.
  15. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

I think I used Eclipse only for the first and last examples..."Gtr Pad" and "Blue Tide"... first is a multitrack recording so I may have used different presets. The distortion sounds are very likely tweaks of my factory preset, "Eclipse Rocks".
    All other tracks are presets I wrote for the factory library and are available on DSP/Orville/H- series.
    "Carsultyal Steel" is a spectacular preset by Scott Gilfix... the evil genius who wrote 90% of all presets available on DSP4/7/Orville/Eclipse series.

marpa94 likes this.
  16. jb4674

jb4674 Member

The Gtr Pad was the only one that was semi decent. Everything else was just not appealing..... What algo can I use on an H3000 to create it?

17. marpa94

marpa94 Member

Hi jb,

Ive found those tones pretty unique , never heard tones like the ones in the clip, but im a tube amp fellow....maybe you have some others suggestion to new dirty sounds pretty much not related to classic amps?

Happy new year from freezy italy