Eventide 'Factor owners, got a few minutes to test for a possible MIDI bug?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by feralchild, Feb 18, 2012.

1. feralchild

feralchild Member

I am seeking independent confirmation of a phenomenon I am seeing in both my Pitchfactor and Timefactor. If you have a 'Factor stompbox, a MIDI interface and a cable, it should only take a moment to test and see if you see the same thing. I'd really appreciate it. I have a thread open on the Eventide forums, one other user says he's seeing it, but the Eventide folks are not able to replicate it. If you think you can help, read on... thx...

---

It would appear that the PF and TF are occasionally sending unwanted MIDI messages when

a) MIDICLOCK is being sent OR passed through the Factor pedal

and b) The algorithm is changed.

(see the Eventide thread for more details)

I used MIDI-OX to log some of these messages. They include Start and Stop commands, pitch bends on various channels, 'sysex end', aftertouch, etc.

Code:
     TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT   
     000F596B  12  --     D8    F1    --    9  ---  Channel Aft  
     000F9701  12  --     FB    --    --   --  ---  Continue  
     000F9E15  12  --     B0    E8    A0    1  ---  Control Change    
     000FB3C0  12  --     FA    --    --   --  ---  Start                 
     000FB3CE  12  --     FE    --    --   --  ---  Active Sensing
     000FBC0B  12  --     FC    --    --   --  ---  Stop
     000FCF74  12  --     B0    48    00    1  ---  CC: Release Time
     000FD588  12  --     F7  Buffer:     0 Bytes   SysEx End
     000FDE99  12  --     EA    F0    F4   11  ---  Pitch Bend
    I tested this with both the latest production firmware (3.0) and the new public beta (3.5).

HOW TO REPLICATE THE ISSUE (i think):

Hook your 'Factor's MIDI output into your computer's MIDI interface input.

Download, install and load MIDI-OX (freeware), or load up your preferred MIDI monitoring software.

Set your 'Factor pedal's MIDI settings to:
    CLK OUT: ON
    OUTPUT: XMT

Make sure it's sending 'timing clock.' Check your monitoring software, you should see them scrolling along.

(If you're using MIDI OX and you're not seeing it, hit the "display raw midi input" button, and/or go to "options>MIDI devices" and check your settings).

OK now once you're seeing the Timing Clock messages, start switching between algorithms. You can do this either by turning the encoder knob (bottom left knob), or cycling through the presets.

You should start catching occasional MIDI messages that are NOT Timing Clock.

If legit, this is potentially an issue if you use your Factor pedal as MIDI clock master and/or upstream of anything that responds to Start, Stop, Aftertouch, Pitch Bend etc!

That's enough info for now.... any questions, don't hesitate to ask, thanks for reading!

2. feralchild

feralchild Member

One more note: If you have a TimeFactor, it seems to happen most often when loading the Looper algorithm.