Eventide H3000 - Preset #196 - "Sludgwik"?

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by Ian, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Ian

Ian Member

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if preset #196 from the H3000 (i.e., called "Sludgwik") has been ported over in some form to the Eclipse?

Here is the info I got from the Eventide wiki:

196~SLUDGWIK~SWEPT COMBS~Another nice, Eventide, fat chorus.~D/SX,
    D/SE, H3500

Thanks!
    Ian

2. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

It was never ported...
    the original preset runs 2 delay lines only of the 6 available in the SWEPT COMBS algorithm.
    It could be ported in some kind of version... as it looks like a very tight flanging/chorus type of sound.

3. Ian

Ian Member

Thanks Italo!

Yes, here it is here:

4. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

There's more than that in the video...

5. jaykay73

jaykay73 Member

Ian,

That can be "ported" to your PCM81.

JK

Ian likes this.
  6. Ian

Ian Member

Cheers Jeremy!! :)

7. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Apparently the word "sludgwik" means nothing... put that in Google and it wants you to look at other words. You insist and only get H3000 related links.
    I wonder what the person who wrote that preset had in mind. Looks like an accidental hit really, as the parameters are set for a completly different sound... he just used the master parameters to scale most others down... and killed a few. Very likely he was looking for some "simplicity" in sound, like some kind of simple stereo chorus, without more complicated details.
    Sure... he could have done the same exact preset using other algorithms, 2 or 3 at least... but he just "went for" what he had under his finger.
    Why am I even talking about this?
    Well... some machines, not many, offer smart ways to instantly/simply/efficiently change what you have and turn it into something else, without "deep" reprogramming a whole structure.
    I'm using the word "deep" because apparently most people think that a 6 voice delays with 6 dly times/feedbacks/levels/pans/depths/rates is something deep... but it isn't really. It's just quantity. Depth is something else, where you really tweak inner guts of things, at a very different level than this.
    So... how's the smart thing working?
    Eventide and Lexicon... have these MASTER parameters in multivoice algorithms, used to scale up or down the values of all voices, *keeping their relative ratios* intact!
    So you have:
    • a MASTER LEVEL changing the 6 delays levels
    • a MASTER DELAY scaling the 6 delays times
    • a MASTER PAN changing the 6 delays stereo panning
    • a MASTER DEPTH scaling the 6 delays modulation depths
    • a MASTER RATE (or SPEED) scaling the 6 delays modulation rates
    You can have more MASTERs, depending on what the algorithm does and very likely on more modern units, offering more parameters...

Whay did they even come up with the idea of MASTERs in the first place?
    For a long time I thought it was boring to use them then I found reasons for doing it.
    One good reason is the extremely fast power you have in your hands to create *alt. versions* of a preset... another is to quickly tweak an existing preset to a whole different one... and other reasons are there, mostly about control... like using a single MIDI CC (or "hand") to change 6 things at the same time.... think levels or feedbacks for instance.
    At this point I'd have the question for you... how many are really using those MASTERs with some sounds building strategy? One of those things always been under your eyes and very likely under_extimated... "in the eye of the sun"...

A MASTER keeps your pre_set parameters values ratio fixed.
    You set your 6 levels as you like.... their master will represent your programming when set at 100%. Some machines may work differently, but generally that's the way it works.
    If MASTER DELAY is set at 100% and DELAY 1 is at 340 ms while DELAY 2 is at 250 ms... change your MASETR to 50% and the 2 delays are now 170 and 125 ms, keeping their ratio consistent.
    Smart! Of course... when you need a major change, like getting a 6 voice delay to turn into a stereo one... you'll need to tweak the single voices... nulling 4 voices levels.
    But as long as you are searching for different tweaks of the same structure... those MASTERS can be your ticket to some very fast rides and amazing findings, testing the smallest change, a +/-1% of any or more masters, and getting some pretty nuance out of the picture, in a very quick way and saving you A LOT of tweaking "per voice".

So... what do you need to use these MASTERs really?
    A strategy! What's that? Well... it can be some math trick or magic... you can search in the old books, the kabala or something, look at the sky at night and get some numbers out of the stars... or you can build your own math madness... like correlated values (watch for tedious harmonics boosting if you do that), uncorrelated ones (more interesting), use some kind of proportional math to uncorrelate those values (particularly delays/depths.. and rates)... get into mistery... program your *base* preset using that kind of approach and then scale things up and down, serching for interesting sounding variations of it. Build a whole set of sounds.
    You could use a single MIDI CC with a specific value to recall different tweaks of that chorus... good for clean chordal work or dirty leads... you know, the usual stuff, only with some brain into it.

Thinking about Eclipse or PCM80/81... one could bring those MASTERS up on the UI, the Eclipse Hot Keys or the PCM Soft Row, and build variations of a preset quickly.
    You can even get stupid with this... and try the "mad spinning" method... select a MASTER and spin the knob like a roulette wheel... change MASTER and do the same... go on until you like what you hear. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH FEEDBACKS if you do this, so preset them at a safe value so that 100% doesn't get you into ears/speakers killing. Watch the PCM as it goes to 200%!!!
    Whatever you do... use those damn MASTERs as you paid for them!

AnalogKid85 likes this.
  8. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

c_many all the way, man. At this point, i don't feel much need to expose delays, rates, depths. I've found a few arrays that work quite well for most applications, so I tie all of that to master controls and work from there. most of my new algorithms feature master controls for any sort of array.

i've also found other ways to do this, but c_many works quite well, most of the time.

9. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

and yet another great read...tip o' the hat to the masters