Eventide H3000 - still worth it?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stan p, Aug 6, 2008.

1. stan p

stan p Member

What is your opinion, are they stil worth buying at the current market rate 800-1000 given that they are not supported anymore?

Very high quality 16 bits effetcs built for studio use 10-15 years ago can still probably rival most boss difital effects?

But what to do if one breaks on you? Please share your experienes and opinions. THank you. Stan

2. zachman

zachman Senior Member

Aloha Stan,

Given the other things available today, I would opt for something like the Eclipse over the H3000. Not much more for a used one.

3. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Used Eclipse are going for on average $500 to $700 more than a H3000. The D/SX version and the SE bring more money, but the basic H3000 typically go for around $750 and up. Even today, BOSS' effect don't compare to the H3000. Every guitarist owes it to themselves to play through and Eventide at least once.

TheGrooveking

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  4. IvIark

IvIark Member

I've still got a DSP4000 and do think that some of the effects sound better in it than the Eclipse, and I've heard similar things said about the H3000. Definitely not everything, reverb and pitch shifting in particular are better in the Eclipse, but the older processors aren't slouches by any means.

My only reservation in the older Eventide processors is that you could quite literally have been used for hours every day for the last 15 years, and so you never know how far away some of the components may be from failure. And as Eventide no longer support the product it could be an expensive problem to fix.

Like Zach said, I think the sensible money would be on a used Eclipse unless you find an older processor at a really good price.

5. stan p

stan p Member

Used Eclipse are going for on average $500 to $700 more than a Eclipse... You mean they get more expensive used?

I used to work with a sound engineer who tolld me tha older equioment built for professional use (high end) in many cases still provides very good service even after all these years... 16 bit does not mean worse quality .. if 16 bit was done right.

Had anyone ever see a severly brocken Eventide? How big is the risk of the thing getting brocken? Where do you fix it then?

I think 3500 woud probably sound like a killer deal with the sampler board installed.

6. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Stan, I mis-stated, I meant more money than a H3000. See my edited post.

TheGrooveking

7. stan p

stan p Member

Thak you for clarification!

I am currently using electro harmonix microsynth with boss looper and TC entry level verb to create some funky technoish loops.

EHX is mostly for creating moog style synth bass lines. I suppopse H3000 could replace my whole fx chain. I remember there was a opatch in H3K simkulating slap bass plaing concurrently with lead guitar. I guess that can be tweaked to bass wannabee sound.

8. jstone

jstone Member

Honestly I used to have a rack with an H3000 and a 2290 as well as two LXP-1.
    My H3000 is long gone.. I still love it in the studio if they have one. LXP are gone. And I don't miss them. The last 5 years it has been the Orville. Great machine for many things.

I still recommend the H3000 is that is where youre budgets at. Or a 2290 for around the same price.
    So my ranking is
    1-Eventide Orville
    2- Eventide eclipse
    3-Tc 2290
    4- Ebentide H3000 /DSP 40000
    5 - Whatever you think can replace the above list but you will might be throwing your money away.

Other units owned but nit mentioned.
    Roland GP-8 (ok for some stuff)
    Roland GP-16 (Rubish)
    Ensoniq DP-4 (cool but not)
    SDE series roland very good for techno remixes NOT guitar.
    Korg SDE -3000 Still great.
    Roland DEP -5 (well don't know what to say)
    Yamaha Rex 50 (funny for digital fuzz:) )
    Yamaha SPX-90 ok (for pitch shift ala 80's)
    Digitech Quad 4 (actually a fun box to play with at home)

Great units but Never made it to my guitar rig but I love in studio is
    Lexicon PCM- 80/ PCM-81
    Lexicon 200
    Lexicon PCM-60
    TC-M5000
    TC-M3000
    TC-M2000
    They all sound fantastic as guitar effects in mix

:)