• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Eventide H8000FW - All about it... please post here.

pangea2003

Random pitch alternations sound really good. I normally use them on my tape delays, but they can also sound good on analog-voiced stuff. I did something the other day to where I ran a memory boy into a Lexicon MPX G2 where I added stereo, random modulation to the delay. It was post-modulation, but stereoized the pedal and sounded really good. I use an H3000OSC module for that kind of stuff on the big Eventide. Sometimes I mix a random wave with other waves to really mix things up.

I am also intrigued by this pedal and interested in a higher-quality algorithm. I listened to it a bit some months ago and can't quite remember my observations. I'm not sure if the reverb is in parallel, or just on the repeats. I also heard some strange resonance that I'd like to remove at higher settings. I'll listen further and would be super interesting in your observations as well.

It might be nice to start a thread related to the recreation and enhancement of existing pedals. I've done a few.

the wardenclyffe reminds me to the zvex lofi junky
sometimes is cool to let things go lo-fi you know..
that's what makes the electric guitar so especial in my humble opinion
it's a lo-fi instrument made more than half a century ago!
so let's let the power of electrons do their work too :)

mentoneman

Does anyone here with an H8000 FW have it in use both for their guitar rig and for home studio recording as well?

rustolium

Does anyone here with an H8000 FW have it in use both for their guitar rig and for home studio recording as well?
I did when I owned one. I had a patch bay wired up to be able to switch it around. Was there some specific info you were looking for?

pangea2003

Has anyone used the Firewire port of the H8000 successfully with a DAW?
How old is the FW driver of the H8000?
Does it support current Mac OS and Windows 10?
Cheers

pangea2003

No FireWire but ADAT working at 96k surprisingly well.
That’s good to know and avoid paying premium for the useless FW port..

So using 8x bidirectional channels via ADAT at 48KHz seems to be the way to go when interfacing the h8000 with a DAW.

Is it possible to use the combination of ADAT + AES/EBU so we can increase the number of channels?

Thanks

jmfreeland

That’s good to know and avoid paying premium for the useless FW port..

So using 8x bidirectional channels via ADAT at 48KHz seems to be the way to go when interfacing the h8000 with a DAW.

Is it possible to use the combination of ADAT + AES/EBU so we can increase the number of channels?

Thanks
I believe you’re maxed out at 8. I definitely found it made a big difference to take the Apollo’s clock for ADAT as well (via coax not the optical)

pangea2003

I believe you’re maxed out at 8. I definitely found it made a big difference to take the Apollo’s clock for ADAT as well (via coax not the optical)
9 channels max.. i see..
But i was actually more concern about clocking and synching than number of channels..

I guess it majes sense to set the computer interface (
Like your Apollo as the Master clock and h8000 as slave.

But why are you using the spdif for sending the clock and not the dedicated Word Clock ports??

Would it be possible to slave the h8000 to the Apollo and use any combination of AES/EBU, ADAT, and SPDIF at 96KHz, and without having to switch clocking or IO settings for every preset?

Thanks

jmfreeland

Ah not the SPDIF but the actual clock output from the Apollo into the clock input on the H8000 with a terminator. I have it set up as stereo ADAT 96KHZ send/return on processor A and stereo ADAT 96KHz send/return on processor B. Using ADAT at 96KHZ you're only getting 4 channels via the S/MUX protocol. to use 8 in/out over ADAT, you'd have to drop to 48KHz.

pangea2003

Ah not the SPDIF but the actual clock output from the Apollo into the clock input on the H8000 with a terminator. I have it set up as stereo ADAT 96KHZ send/return on processor A and stereo ADAT 96KHz send/return on processor B. Using ADAT at 96KHZ you're only getting 4 channels via the S/MUX protocol. to use 8 in/out over ADAT, you'd have to drop to 48KHz.
Gotcha..

Can you combine ADAT + AES/EBU together though??

Orville71

Vendor
Hey guys, I work for Eventide and wanted to chime in with what I could find on this subject. This is a very old product but I believe that it might work with Mojave, although I am not certain. I also think the last Windows driver did support Windows 10.

We do not recommend S/PDIF above 48kHz. This is because it is not a professional standard and is very susceptible to ground noise and other problems. It may well work most of the time, but cannot be relied upon at higher rates.

The unit can only have 8 channels of I/O. No more. And not all connections offer all 8 channels. Specifically analog and AES/EBU.

Hope this helps.

theRagman

Platinum Supporting Member
Anybody got tips for getting a great-sounding phaser out of this thing? The presets I've tried, and the phaser preset I wrote in Vsig, sound awfully clinical.

jaykay73

Can someone please post what versions of Windows or MacOs they actually have been able to achieve FireWire connectivity with their H8000FW. Thanks.

JK

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
I was toying with the 2290 preset thru my h8000 routed in stereo and noticed something peculiar...

in its stock preset setting the repeats seem significantly louder on the right hand side - the left speaker seems to have a much less pronounced initial repeat and the subsequent repeats seem significantly more diffused/smeared than thru the right hand speaker.

i had turned off all the mod, ducking, panning parameters in their respective tabs but still sounded as above.

i happened to have an Axe and hooked that up and went thru its 2290 preset (in case it was something in the original 2290 that I never noticed) - but the sound was equal on both sides as you would expect.

anyone have any idea what might be going on?

mentoneman

I did when I owned one. I had a patch bay wired up to be able to switch it around. Was there some specific info you were looking for?
Necro-response! Sorry I guess i missed seeing this reply!

I was wondering if anyone had opinions about their experiences in audio quality differences between using the analog i/o converters v aes/ebu digital route. Do you hear any major differences?
And as a studio tool do you have any preferences to what effects and sources work great together (ADT on vox, suggestions for keyboard effects, etc?)
I recall being in a studio and auditioning almost every effect in the “brand new” H3000 dsx on gtr/vocal tracks but that was many years ago...

the H8000 is currently connected by the analog i/os to a wdw guitar rig via a Neve 16 ch summing mixer, but the plan is to simultaneously connect the ARS/EBU i/os to an Apollo/Luna DAW and just switch to that studio config digital pathway to apply effects as needed.

che presant

All you need to know, ask, share, read, hear about this unique processor... would be nice if gathered here.
Let's start....
Hi,
I am having a problem with getting any levels to show on the levels meter, and also need help plugging this unit in correctly to my MOTU UltraLite mk3 hybrid interface. When I plug in, I do not have any levels at all. I open a track in Logic Pro X, but I am unable to understand how to INSERT this unit in a track, and it has been very frustrating. I have my cables plugged into the Analog I/O IN and OUT on the top four, and then I have also plugged my Lead Guitarist into the bottom four on the Analog I/O section. All of the cables are balanced, so I have all of the Analog I/O connections filled up. Please help and I am grateful for your input. What am I doing wrong?

jmfreeland

Hi,
I am having a problem with getting any levels to show on the levels meter, and also need help plugging this unit in correctly to my MOTU UltraLite mk3 hybrid interface. When I plug in, I do not have any levels at all. I open a track in Logic Pro X, but I am unable to understand how to INSERT this unit in a track, and it has been very frustrating. I have my cables plugged into the Analog I/O IN and OUT on the top four, and then I have also plugged my Lead Guitarist into the bottom four on the Analog I/O section. All of the cables are balanced, so I have all of the Analog I/O connections filled up. Please help and I am grateful for your input. What am I doing wrong?
With this unit you need to download and read the manual. It’s probably an input/output routing issue, but there’s a lot going on there. 8000 manual is easy to find and read though.

Orville71

Vendor
With this unit you need to download and read the manual. It’s probably an input/output routing issue, but there’s a lot going on there. 8000 manual is easy to find and read though.
I was actually going to suggest the same thing.
1) Read the manual.
2) Use the Routing Utility. This will help you get activity on the meters.
3) Contact Motu & Apple for help with their products.
4) FYI, we also have a forum on EventideAudio.com in which you can ask these types of questions but more than likely the answer will be similar to these suggestions.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

ctreitzell

Hi,
Unfortunately, Italo moved on from this forum a couple years ago. One thing is for sure, he would have said the same as @jmfreeland and @Orville71 and Italo would have been much more Authoritative Parent than the gentle rtm replies you got. It can be frustrating to want to produce but you might have to do homework before performing brain surgery, it's just the nature of the beast. Good luck!

Trending Topics